F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Tesla Model 3 LR test drive
GetBMWParts

01-19-2022, 06:34 AM   #67
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quick question JustChris - how long does a full charge take at home when using a proper charger, but with a single phase supply?
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 06:40 AM   #68
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Indeed it will happen eventually. Thing is though it will be a rip off for non Tesla drivers that will push them away to some extent. The Ionity network for example. If you have not recently bought your car and have a discount or what not it can be … similar cost to fill as an ICE car. I've seen rumours of £0,65 kWh which is a LoL.

Would it stop me. Doubt it, I just need a change and not a big fan of the design direction BMW has gone inside and out.

Going for Tesla

- Value pretty much every option included and makes it very easy. Pano, adaptive cruise, 5 heated seats & wheel, electric wheel adjustment, memory seats, remote heating, comfort access, surround view, adaptive cruise etc all useful things I'd like are included
- Performance for the price. With all the range anxiety this seems to have been missed again. £55k and circa £4500 48x£500 lease for a M3LR +AB = 0-60 car in 3.7s.
- SC network
- Car keeps updating. The day you get it is probably the most basic it will ever be
- Ease of use and service. I'm not sure about this bit but I'm sure traditional makers are still prescribing more of a service interval Vs Tesla where it's minimal

Against
- Eeeeeeeelon :
- Subjective looks
- Fit and finish (does seem to have improved as per my original test drive message)
- Annoying owners 😂👍🏻
I can see the appeal of that, and agree that in practice, range is probably more than enough for most of us, most of the time. But what prompted the change from looking at the Macan S? That's quite a shift.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 06:45 AM   #69
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Quick question JustChris - how long does a full charge take at home when using a proper charger, but with a single phase supply?
Hi.

I also used to ask/think this but actually you don't want to be that speedy at home.

SC ran a heck of a lot into t he batteries and really the ideal is a gentle charge at home.

It's an overnight thing probably 8-10 hrs.

Best in mind I don't actually know yet

I'm getting an Anderson A2 for looks and ability to push solar through it and that will be 7kw home charging.

Absolutely no need to get 3 phase installed.etc etc

One other note on the 3pin granny charger. Don't discount that at all. Imagine driving to that cottage holiday. Once your there even if you can't access any other facilities people say you'd add around 100 miles range overnight.

Assuming you'd arrive with some, I doubt I do loads of touring once at our actual destination and many users actually just use the granny charger long term home solution. Go figure
Attached Images

01-19-2022, 06:55 AM   #70
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
Quote:
Indeed it will happen eventually. Thing is though it will be a rip off for non Tesla drivers that will push them away to some extent. The Ionity network for example. If you have not recently bought your car and have a discount or what not it can be … similar cost to fill as an ICE car. I've seen rumours of £0,65 kWh which is a LoL.

Would it stop me. Doubt it, I just need a change and not a big fan of the design direction BMW has gone inside and out.

Going for Tesla

- Value pretty much every option included and makes it very easy. Pano, adaptive cruise, 5 heated seats & wheel, electric wheel adjustment, memory seats, remote heating, comfort access, surround view, adaptive cruise etc all useful things I'd like are included
- Performance for the price. With all the range anxiety this seems to have been missed again. £55k and circa £4500 48x£500 lease for a M3LR +AB = 0-60 car in 3.7s.
- SC network
- Car keeps updating. The day you get it is probably the most basic it will ever be
- Ease of use and service. I'm not sure about this bit but I'm sure traditional makers are still prescribing more of a service interval Vs Tesla where it's minimal

Against
- Eeeeeeeelon :
- Subjective looks
- Fit and finish (does seem to have improved as per my original test drive message)
- Annoying owners 😂👍🏻
I can see the appeal of that, and agree that in practice, range is probably more than enough for most of us, most of the time. But what prompted the change from looking at the Macan S? That's quite a shift.
Sorry Bryan I did see that question elsewhere, forgot to respond.

Macan S very low spec £66k
£10k in £850 month
12,000 mpa

Or but it and have a heavy 3L petrol SUV in 4 years time 2026

TM3LR zero options and intentionally utility white
9+47 £520
12,000 mpa

I could wait a year and by then our work probably would have a salary sacrifice in place. It I've already waited a year asking!

Then factor in fuel for 1 month at my 12000 mpa sinples:-

M3LR 78kwh battery circa £0.21 kWh = 340 miles say

3 fills = 1000 miles = 3 x 0.21 x 78 = £49!

Macan S likely 2mpg fuel
Maybe 2.5 tanks for 1000 miles?
Estimation about £80 fill?
= £200

In those figures I'm being a bit generous to the Macan and harsh in the Tesla. Most full up overnight at 5p or 7p rates and it makes no account for any of the free chargers at work and various sites I can access.

So not apples to apples but I never really needed the size and have stared to see the car as a tool I'm afraid more than a reward in the past. Bloody economics and Terrys FIRE movement 😂
      01-19-2022, 07:32 AM   #71
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry Bryan I did see that question elsewhere, forgot to respond.

Macan S very low spec £66k
£10k in £850 month
12,000 mpa

Or but it and have a heavy 3L petrol SUV in 4 years time 2026

TM3LR zero options and intentionally utility white
9+47 £520
12,000 mpa

I could wait a year and by then our work probably would have a salary sacrifice in place. It I've already waited a year asking!

Then factor in fuel for 1 month at my 12000 mpa sinples:-

M3LR 78kwh battery circa £0.21 kWh = 340 miles say

3 fills = 1000 miles = 3 x 0.21 x 78 = £49!

Macan S likely 2mpg fuel
Maybe 2.5 tanks for 1000 miles?
Estimation about £80 fill?
= £200

In those figures I'm being a bit generous to the Macan and harsh in the Tesla. Most full up overnight at 5p or 7p rates and it makes no account for any of the free chargers at work and various sites I can access.

So not apples to apples but I never really needed the size and have stared to see the car as a tool I'm afraid more than a reward in the past. Bloody economics and Terrys FIRE movement 😂
Thanks for that. Makes perfect sense. When I got the 540 back in 2019 I figured it would be a 'last petrol keeper'. The change of circumstances meant it went much earlier than planned, and whilst I still like the idea of an RS4 or something similar, I can't help thinking I'll be on the EV band wagon far quicker than I had imagined.

Still like the idea of a proper sports car as well though
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 07:33 AM   #72
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Hi.

I also used to ask/think this but actually you don't want to be that speedy at home.

SC ran a heck of a lot into t he batteries and really the ideal is a gentle charge at home.

It's an overnight thing probably 8-10 hrs.

Best in mind I don't actually know yet

I'm getting an Anderson A2 for looks and ability to push solar through it and that will be 7kw home charging.

Absolutely no need to get 3 phase installed.etc etc

One other note on the 3pin granny charger. Don't discount that at all. Imagine driving to that cottage holiday. Once your there even if you can't access any other facilities people say you'd add around 100 miles range overnight.

Assuming you'd arrive with some, I doubt I do loads of touring once at our actual destination and many users actually just use the granny charger long term home solution. Go figure
Ok thanks. The slow charge rate is probably the biggest criticism of the X5 45e and many other PHEVs. It clearly makes more difference when one is out and about, but for us I'd expect the vast majority of charging to be done at home, but then the limitation is single phase supplies.

Your point about what happens when you go on holiday is absolutely key for me. A friend with an iPace went from Warwickshire to Dartmoor for a long weekend recently, and said the fast charging on the way down was great. The issue was the charge rate at the hotel they were staying at, and meant the first day there they didn't go anywhere. I think the Teslas would deal with this much better.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 08:00 AM   #73
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

I would be interested to know about the Model 3's headlights. Do they have similar 'dancing' beams like the ones (usually optional) on the current crop of BMWs, or is it a simpler system like you find on Mini, which have I think 4 zones which just switch on and off?

I also wondered about the glass roof in the Model 3 which have no covers for shade. Anyone have any experience of driving one in the middle of summer? I'm assuming that given they are sold in much warmer climes, that shouldn't be too much of an issue in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 08:17 AM   #74
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

The cars onboard charger is the limiting factor on three phase AC, Model 3 and i4 are 11kw max, still 50% faster than 7.4kw single phase but not 3 times as fast unfortunately.

Latest Tesla's have Samsung PixCell matrix LED lights but as far as I know they still operate as standard lights as the software has not been updated yet for them to fully function. I believe they have 100 zones.

Never had an issue with the glass roof, in North Scotland we're lucky to see much sun. As you say they are standard in USA so they must be comfortable enough at higher temperatures than we find normally in the UK.

Last edited by saltyamigo; 01-19-2022 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 2
JD64263.50
JustChris17483.00
      01-19-2022, 11:31 AM   #75
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I would be interested to know about the Model 3's headlights. Do they have similar 'dancing' beams like the ones (usually optional) on the current crop of BMWs, or is it a simpler system like you find on Mini, which have I think 4 zones which just switch on and off?

I also wondered about the glass roof in the Model 3 which have no covers for shade. Anyone have any experience of driving one in the middle of summer? I'm assuming that given they are sold in much warmer climes, that shouldn't be too much of an issue in the UK.
Just standard high beam assist on the M3.

And no complaints from my mate with the glass, although it's very tinted. I've been it in the car in summer and not noticed it being glaring.
Appreciate 1
JD64263.50
      01-19-2022, 11:33 AM   #76
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

[QUOTE=JustChris;28485275]
Quote:

One other note on the 3pin granny charger. Don't discount that at all. Imagine driving to that cottage holiday. Once your there even if you can't access any other facilities people say you'd add around 100 miles
Can confirm that you get about 100 miles on 3 pin.

We had this issue when we went to Northern Ireland with my mate and their free chargers wouldn't work with his car. Obviously this caused an issue, so he was having to charge on a 3 pin every night. Tbh it was a nightmare, and I wouldn't say a BEV is good for touring.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 03:30 AM   #77
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

Quote:
Each hour will add approx 10% battery to the M3LR.

As you can "fill up" whenever the car is at home (or work, if you have chargers there to use), you soon get out of the "once a week" mentality & top up as needed.
I only do long journeys every few weeks, and my daily commute is 20 miles, so I keep the battery operating between 40-80% and charge 2-3x / week depending on journeys. If I know I have a long run due on Monday, then I will charge to 80% Sat, use car as normal Sun, then charge to 100% Sun night.
This fits nicely with my cheap rate window on Octopus, so nearly all my charging is at 5p/kWh.

Against JustChris figures for 1000 miles charging - that's £11.70 at the cheap EV rate!

Every 6 months or so I run the battery down to <10% & leave it like that for 24+ hours (needs a little planning when I know I won't use it), then charge to 100%. This is advised by Tesla for calibrating the Battery Management System, and allows for correction of range discrepancies.
Appreciate 3
JustChris17483.00
isleaiw18747.00
Grant_72020.50
      01-20-2022, 04:45 AM   #78
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

I have the Model 3 SR+ and each hour fills the battery with 15% charge at 7kW. I put 4 hours in overnight on Octopus Go, which gives me 60% (80-100 miles in Winter, 100-120 in Summer) and costs me £1.50.

As for the roof,. no issues with it being hot or blinding at all. It's heavily tinted and actually very difficult to see into (but fine to see out of).

As for the question regarding the consideration of a Tesla if they opened their SC network up, I'd definitely look at other brands but, unfortunately, don't imagine there's anything out there that not only has the tech, but drives as well either. Don't just think Tesla's are dragsters - it's a great car to drive.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 04:48 AM   #79
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
The lack of a proper panoramic windscreen on the Y was one of my biggest disappoints about Tesla design features on the Y. Once you are use to the glass everything else seems claustrophobic.

They do get hot though, 50degress in summer isn't uncommon, but thats what air-con is for......and no running the air-con isn't going to leave you stranded .

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 05:54 AM   #80
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

gangzoom

Named Kia
      01-21-2022, 02:58 AM   #81
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

That's my last 10 charger visits showing duration and power added. Mostly 50kW rapids though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 03:28 AM   #82
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
That's my last 10 charger visits showing duration and power added. Mostly 50kW rapids though.
All free or is it just there's no tariff set up?
      01-21-2022, 03:35 AM   #83
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Free in Scotland for now, why would you charge at home.....?

In fact can you charge your car at the free places and then use them to power devices at home (like with the Kia?)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 03:43 AM   #84
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

In fact can you charge your car at the free places and then use them to power devices at home (like with the Kia?)
I don't think Tesla offers that currently. The Kia and EV6 and Honda E do.

That's a hard lol and the irony of it.

People rushing 'out' (more miles and more traffic) to charge a car fully for free to go home and cut the grass with an electric mower and extension lead in the car

Bloody brilliant 🤩
      01-22-2022, 12:38 PM   #85
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Not sure if it's a repeat but just stumbled across a programme called 'Fifth Gear Recharged' over on Quest - some interesting stuff and IMO worth a watch if you haven't seen it!

ETA: At the end they showed a Neo (new EV from China) and, rather than messing around with recharging, they simply changed the battery. But the impressive bit was it was all accomplished in under 5 minutes without the driver even needing to get out of the car - so about the same time as filling-up an ICE vehicle but with less effort!

Last edited by JNW1; 01-22-2022 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 03:37 PM   #86
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

Not everywhere in Scotland is free. Glasgow was free until 1/1/22 and then introduced charges. £0.16/kWh for uk to 22kW charging and £0.20/kWh above. Cheaper than domestic rates at present.

There are a few others still free, but expect charges soon.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      02-11-2022, 06:53 AM   #87
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
An update to this.

Glasgow City Council have removed all charges in the interim. I reckon they've priced too cheaply and a large increase is coming.

All it means is that so far, my 3,693 miles of EV motoring have cost me £0.00 in charging costs.
Appreciate 0