F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > NEW RELEASE: DINANTRONICS Sport (M57/N57/N47)
GetBMWParts

11-30-2016, 05:19 AM   #23
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
JOHNBMWM5 i cant decide what way to go. i know Remap is better but i have another year warranty so i am thinking a tuning box might be the best option. ive been confused for 4 months still none the wiser.

i was hoping this dinan one was going to be better but it appears a step backawards. i guess ill have to wait and see what the Mosselman new device is
Not sure how good the TDI box is, and what LV (who I am insured with ) would say about it.
These box's with 3 connections are not that easy on BMW's to remove quickly/easily I'm told.
I think the Boost sensor in right down the back of the engine somewhere.
Someone on here will have fitted one no doubt.
EDIT and warranty always an issue
      11-30-2016, 05:22 AM   #24
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Not sure how good the TDI box is, and what LV (who I am insured with ) would say about it.
These box's with 3 connections are not that easy on BMW's to remove quickly/easily I'm told.
I think the Boost sensor in right down the back of the engine somewhere.
Someone on here will have fitted one no doubt.
EDIT and warranty always an issue
i dont think they are that bad on this engine i am sure the bluespark twin box literally takes 3 mins to install. that is fuel pressure rail and rpm pickup.

i am sure this dinan one is the fuel pressure pickup not boost

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 10:11 AM   #25
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
JOHNBMWM5 i cant decide what way to go. i know Remap is better but i have another year warranty so i am thinking a tuning box might be the best option. ive been confused for 4 months still none the wiser.

i was hoping this dinan one was going to be better but it appears a step backawards. i guess ill have to wait and see what the Mosselman new device is
READ this:

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=166221
      12-01-2016, 12:13 AM   #26
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
Still glad I went with the bench tune

At first, when I heard about this $249 deal from Dinan I kicked myself for paying around one grand for a bench tune (= ECU flash) up at Jarek's at JR Auto Performance in Oakville, Ontario. And then I thought to myself...sheeit, for $249 what are they going to get, a fuel rail booster? Yep, and that's what you get. And no engine warranty with Dinan to pay for BMW's salvage work in case there's an issue. (There's a reason that Dinan won't include their usual warranty on this little piggyback--yep, you guessed it!--because it's a fuel rail booster for $249!) A fuel rail booster is what it is, and the word "Dinan" doesn't make it magic. You'd best do your homework and make a rational decision before you get yourself some cheap power for your $50K car. Chances are that you'll be fine...chance being what it is, that is.

Yes, I paid another $750 for a custom tune, and I'm glad I did. The engine performance is just what I'd hoped it would be: Greatly decreased turbo lag, way more "take" down low, even and smooth acceleration all the way to the high end, much improved acceleration at the high end, and nary a hiccough along the way at any time.

Here's the story of my custom tune: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1299267
      12-03-2016, 06:27 PM   #27
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehecht View Post
At first, when I heard about this $249 deal from Dinan I kicked myself for paying around one grand for a bench tune (= ECU flash) up at Jarek's at JR Auto Performance in Oakville, Ontario. And then I thought to myself...sheeit, for $249 what are they going to get, a fuel rail booster? Yep, and that's what you get. And no engine warranty with Dinan to pay for BMW's salvage work in case there's an issue. (There's a reason that Dinan won't include their usual warranty on this little piggyback--yep, you guessed it!--because it's a fuel rail booster for $249!) A fuel rail booster is what it is, and the word "Dinan" doesn't make it magic. You'd best do your homework and make a rational decision before you get yourself some cheap power for your $50K car. Chances are that you'll be fine...chance being what it is, that is.

Yes, I paid another $750 for a custom tune, and I'm glad I did. The engine performance is just what I'd hoped it would be: Greatly decreased turbo lag, way more "take" down low, even and smooth acceleration all the way to the high end, much improved acceleration at the high end, and nary a hiccough along the way at any time.

Here's the story of my custom tune: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1299267
you think you are the smart one ehh...

With the dinan unit. You can easily unplug it before going in for any warranty work at the dealer. With your bench flash ecu tune, you are pretty much shit out of luck with warranty as bmw can detect that your ecu is or was flashed when they plug in their obd2 tester.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 10:22 PM   #28
Experimental
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M-sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post

With the dinan unit. You can easily unplug it before going in for any warranty work at the dealer. With your bench flash ecu tune, you are pretty much shit out of luck with warranty as bmw can detect that your ecu is or was flashed when they plug in their obd2 tester.
Hate to break it to you...BMW can tell when you've had a piggy back tuner as well. All they have to do is delve into the ECU.

Want to avoid losing your warranty? Don't tune. Simple as that.
      12-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #29
Mario_Kart
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experimental View Post
Hate to break it to you...BMW can tell when you've had a piggy back tuner as well. All they have to do is delve into the ECU.

yeah, that's why I decided to not tune both my cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 04:57 AM   #30
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

SECONDED, don't tune if you want to keep the warranty.
So dealers turn a blinds eye but most do not.
      12-04-2016, 06:08 AM   #31
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post

Quote:

Both true. You won't find that the Dinan rep will tell you any different either. He's always been up front about that point.

That said, detecting a flash tune and "delving" into the ECU isn't the same either and not all tunes are alike. Reading how many times they see the ECU being flashed, which normally is only potentially done by a dealership, or reading a code stored in the ECU that gets changed because of a flash is different than detecting a piggy back which they would have to look at the history of how the car was running and the data that was stored. The memory they have in the computer isn't infinite. You could potentially disconnect a piggy back or set it to run the car normally and drive the car for a some period of time, a week or so, and store the vehicle running under normal conditions of boost, fuel delivery, etc. Then when looking they might see some stored maxes (if they do) but any recent data would show normal operation. Anything flashed tends to change counts, although there are some out there that say they have tunes that are "undetectable"

There's also the factor of what's being done in the flash or piggyback and how extreme it's running the vehicle. If the tune or piggyback is running the car on the hairy edge to max performance this increases the odds of causing some sort of failure as opposed to something providing a relatively minor bump in pwr/tq that the vehicle can operate without usually being an issue. Not all tunes and piggybacks are the same. You can look at what other owners are running and what their experiences are to get a good idea of what seems to work without issue(s) and what doesn't. If you have any major concerns then your best bet is to not play, if for no other reason it keeps your mind at peace.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 1
M4_GTS1152.50
      12-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #32
335dM
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d m package

What if you would run this on top of an already tuned DDE? Would there be any gains ??
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 11:35 AM   #33
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dM View Post
What if you would run this on top of an already tuned DDE? Would there be any gains ??
Minimal, if any, I would presume. Speculation on my part as its never been tested. The real problem lies in that the tuned DDE is probably already on the threshold of going outside of acceptable tolerances so throwing something else on top will probbaly just leads to CEL's and running issues as it will be so far outside of acceptable limits.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 03:45 PM   #34
aaddam2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335d M-Sport

Dinan_Engineering just a heads up, in the product page, the photo of the dyno chart is for the wrong car (MB C300 gasser). also an M57 dyno chart would be lovely too.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 04:05 PM   #35
m12volt
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d M-Sport

Does anyone have an experience with Dinantronics sport yet ?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #36
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by m12volt View Post
Does anyone have an experience with Dinantronics sport yet ?
plenty of guys on here have them, seem favorable
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #37
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
So at Bimmerfest I had my 328d wagon dyno'd with the Dinan Sport module. I did two runs in stock, sport+, and race modes. Unfortunately, the dyno didn't have the necessary equipment to measure rpm and torque for diesels, but he was able to give me max HP.

Here's the results:
-Stock: 148hp
-Sport+: 157hp
-Race: 150hp

I was surprised that race was nearly identical with stock, but that also confirms what my butt dyno had told me (I couldn't really feel any difference between the two). It also explains why when I had my car dyno'd this past January that the race and stock modes looked just about identical, and I thought I had a faulty unit (ended up exchanging that unit for the current one). I guess that unit probably wasn't faulty, and I should've tried to test sport+ mode with it.

So if you get the Dinan unit, sport+ is the strongest profile, but still only gives you maybe 10hp at the wheels.

Maybe if I end up with more time and money to burn I'll try and find another dyno to see what the torque looks like.

I'd be curious to know how much more drivetrain losses there are between xDrive and RWD too.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 07:01 PM   #38
Dons328d
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Luxury 328dx

I'm looking for a dynamic range of control type of controller and by that I mean real low throttle position efficiency to higher torque passing style of box. Coming up on the third month of ownership of my 2014 328dx luxury experiencing the Eco Pro and Sport mode capabilities. I must say that the piggy back type of tuner boxes are interesting in their claims of attaining these extremes of performance. I can control my foot for what I want. Looking for a box to do the same.
I have 10 years experience of a chipped 2006 Jetta TDI sold at 205K miles. So I am carefully, patiently looking for an improvement of the factory performance at these extreme ends...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #39
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Any more power/tune options available for 2018 328d?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 08:47 AM   #40
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Nothing in the pipeline at present.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2017, 01:25 AM   #41
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Nothing in the pipeline at present.
Thanks for kind reply. That would definitely had been nice had there been an option as I would have been interested. Will have to search around then.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:09 AM   #42
tdli
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335I

Is this still available? I can’t find it listed on your website
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #43
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdli View Post
Is this still available? I can’t find it listed on your website
Still available.

2015 328d product page: https://www.dinancars.com/products/?...bodytype=Sedan

First listing.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 04:32 PM   #44
BMW BRAD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535d M, F31 328d M

Anything for a US spec 535d that won't cost me my warranty?