F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Android Auto options for a 2017 F31
proTUNING Freaks

08-15-2020, 12:04 PM   #1
tevren
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW F31

Android Auto options for a 2017 F31

I'm looking for options to retrofit android auto on my F31. I have an android phone and a 2017 BMW F31 with apple car play. I reached out to Bimmertech regarding the android auto retro fit, but it doesn't support vehicles that already have apple car play. Has anyone else been able to get android auto on their apple car play enabled vehicles? Does it involve replacing the entire head unit?

Cheers and thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 11:31 PM   #2
Friggin_Idiot
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver '18 340xi

I asked similarly for my '18 F30 with CarPlay. BimmerTech said they have something they're working on, but it will still be months before updates.
I checked Crutchfield's site, it advised against replacing the HU.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 01:47 AM   #3
daxtor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EBII F30 335i

If you are not afraid of tearing your dash apart and putting it back together, then you can consider getting one of those Android headunits (actually you get a bigger screen with Android hardware inside, while retaining the factory HU and iDrive). I personally have the Android 9 HU installed and it has been working great. I did the installation myself and it wasn't really that hard to be honest. I started out wishing to use Android Auto as well but now that I have full Android running in the HU screen, I just use Google Maps natively along with PowerAmp at the same time (using split screen). If you want to use Android Auto from your phone, then with this new Android HU you can run the app Headunit Reloaded so it act like an AA receiver to allow your phone's AA to connect.

Last edited by daxtor; 08-22-2020 at 02:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxtor View Post
If you are not afraid of tearing your dash apart and putting it back together, then you can consider getting one of those Android headunits (actually you get a bigger screen with Android hardware inside, while retaining the factory HU and iDrive). I personally have the Android 9 HU installed and it has been working great. I did the installation myself and it wasn't really that hard to be honest. I started out wishing to use Android Auto as well but now that I have full Android running in the HU screen, I just use Google Maps natively along with PowerAmp at the same time (using split screen). If you want to use Android Auto from your phone, then with this new Android HU you can run the app Headunit Reloaded so it act like an AA receiver to allow your phone's AA to connect.
Indeed, the Android 10.25" head units are pretty popular. There is now an Android 10.0 version from AvinUSA that besides providing the increased screen size, it has a video input so if you're retrofitting a front or rear camera you can easily wire it directly to the head unit if you prefer to wire it that way (an easy way to get the job done without an MMI box).

Some people that have their cars tuned with Bootmod3 use the Android screen to run the BM3 dashboard app instead of on their tiny phones so they can look at the large gauges on a large display. Lots of pro's to having the after market head unit. You can still use your factory iDrive so you're not just stuck with Android but have the option to go into the Android side when needed. When I tune my car I plan on getting one of these Android screens.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 09:03 PM   #5
tevren
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friggin_Idiot View Post
I asked similarly for my '18 F30 with CarPlay. BimmerTech said they have something they're working on, but it will still be months before updates.
Good to know that Bimmertech is working on it. Last time I asked they just told me that it wasn't supported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxtor View Post
I don't mind taking the dash apart, my previous concerns were around (1) keeping the original iDrive system and its functionality, (2) making sure the android auto functionality had the same UI/UX as apple carplay, (3) voiding the car's warranty (I have 2 years left).
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 01:47 AM   #6
daxtor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EBII F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevren View Post
I don't mind taking the dash apart, my previous concerns were around (1) keeping the original iDrive system and its functionality, (2) making sure the android auto functionality had the same UI/UX as apple carplay, (3) voiding the car's warranty (I have 2 years left).
Well you don't have to worry about 1 and 2 with the Android screen. I run HeadUnit Reloaded and it takes used the entire screen to show AA's UI, in the proper wide screen support format that is not stretched. For warranty, that probably depends on the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 10:20 AM   #7
gerardoduenas
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friggin_Idiot View Post
It's been months now, are you aware of any update?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 01:05 AM   #8
Friggin_Idiot
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver '18 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardoduenas View Post
It's been months now, are you aware of any update?
I did ask them again last month and was told I'll receive an email when it becomes available. I checked their site this week and didn't see anything new available yet.
I spent about 9 hours researching online and think I found the module they are working with for about $400 +s/h from SE Asia. (Their SLI modules were only $80 too.) I stupidly didn't save the link, and repeated searches have fallen short of finding it again. I'm sure it will be significantly more expensive from BT, but include lots of programming and tech support if you need it.

Last edited by Friggin_Idiot; 10-07-2020 at 01:22 AM..
Appreciate 0