F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 2013 328i N20 Whining/buzzing noise.
GetBMWParts

11-20-2019, 11:55 AM   #23
Fliplegend
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435ix F33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
So I recently stumbled on an extra layer of the whine, when the AC is on the whine becomes much more pronounced, particularly at low speeds you can really hear it, anyone else experience this?
I've noticed that on mine. Some people say it's the alternator.
      04-03-2022, 10:34 AM   #24
victorso1
Philippines
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
So I recently stumbled on an extra layer of the whine, when the AC is on the whine becomes much more pronounced, particularly at low speeds you can really hear it, anyone else experience this?
I noticed that with mine as well. Have you figured it out was was causing the noise?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 12:00 PM   #25
bunnysloper
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 F10, '09 MBZ C300

So, my F10 with an N20 had recently developed this kind of whine, as well. I was very concerned as I started to do some research and was fearing that it would be the timing chain, based on a lot of forum posts regarding this exact same whining noise. This was quite concerning, as I replaced the timing chain (with the updated version). about 30K miles ago. We all know this is not cheap.

Anyhow, after opening the hood and listening to the noise closely, it was coming from the back towards the firewall. So I know it wasn’t the timing chain or oil pump. So I figured it was the transmission as I was preparing to replace the fluid and oil pan, that I had already ordered from FCP Euro. So I took the parts to mechanic to have him install and the whining noise was completely gone after this was done and the transmission is buttery smooth.

BMW tries to tell you that fluid change is not necessary as it’s the transmission is sealed to last a lifetime. COMPLETELY not true. I’m reading on the forums that ZF recommend 70K.

So, on to the next problem part 😆😆😆
Appreciate 0