F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bootmod3 and JB+
proTUNING Freaks

10-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #23
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e F30 M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
I don't think JB+ work like that. I think it preprogrammed target boost psi like 21 psi and trick the ecu to reach that boost. But because he has BM3 flash which some say target boost for 20.5 psi. With this data..I will assume that the JB+ will want to trick the bm3 flash that is already at 20.5 psi to target 21 psi. So my conclusion is that they not going to stack up and it is going to be a waste of money.
So, the exact same JB+ unit can be used across all N20 and N55 variants, so I seriously doubt it targets a specific boost. It fools the ECU into thinking the boost is 0-4psi lower than it really is, so that the ECU adjusts accordingly. This will work exactly the same even though you've altered your ECU maps with BM3 or another flash.

Not saying it's a good idea, but it will work.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #24
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris View Post
So, the exact same JB+ unit can be used across all N20 and N55 variants, so I seriously doubt it targets a specific boost. It fools the ECU into thinking the boost is 0-4psi lower than it really is, so that the ECU adjusts accordingly. This will work exactly the same even though you've altered your ECU maps with BM3 or another flash.

If this is how JB+ work then it should get more boost and beside blow up your motor. To begin with it won't give you anymore hp gain as the turbo run out of steam at that point. Just looking at power curve.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #25
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:

The little dinan sport box detects which ecu.

It's not rocket science.

Defer to the manu for specific applications.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #26
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post

It's not rocket science.

It is rocket science... remember how many rockets blow up before we reach outer space or the moon
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #27
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

what order is the best for stacking?
I'm gonna stack the jb+ and then the JB4 and then the Dinan chip.
going from cheapest first, to middle, then the most expensive. I think this is the best way forward for the most stuffs. right?
Appreciate 1
hybris204.50
      10-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #28
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonchicken View Post
what order is the best for stacking?
I'm gonna stack the jb+ and then the JB4 and then the Dinan chip.
going from cheapest first, to middle, then the most expensive. I think this is the best way forward for the most stuffs. right?

I think we surmised that you can stack up to 4+ systems and then the car will catch on fire.

I love lemon chicken. lololol
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #29
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
If this is how JB+ work then it should get more boost and beside blow up your motor. To begin with it won't give you anymore hp gain as the turbo run out of steam at that point. Just looking at power curve.

Giving you more boost is exactly what JB+ does. And why would +4psi blow up your motor? The turbo runs out of steam at which point exactly? JB+ is created to add 0-4psi to stock engines, all the engines it applies to have turbos where you can add 4psi just fine. I'm currently running +10psi on my B48.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #30
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

It's not rocket science.

It detects the engine to alter the signals in the right way, but it still adds 0-4psi. It literally says so in the description. And the only way to do that dynamically is to alter the actual signal so that the ECU is fooled into increasing the the boost target.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2019, 12:49 PM   #31
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It detects the engine to alter the signals in the right way, but it still adds 0-4psi. It literally says so in the description. And the only way to do that dynamically is to alter the actual signal so that the ECU is fooled into increasing the the boost target.

That's exactly how it works. And people are like... I'm reading OBDII, and not seeing an increase.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #32
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's exactly how it works. And people are like... I'm reading OBDII, and not seeing an increase.
But the point is that it adjusts the actual signal, it doesn't replace it. So it will stack (as opposed to what Gen13-something said above).
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #33
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But the point is that it adjusts the actual signal, it doesn't replace it. So it will stack (as opposed to what Gen13-something said above).
Blingo (misspelling intended)!!!!

And if it's voltage, then stacking may do nothing as target might be voltage of X, but then sees X+2 and does nothing because over target. Then ecu will probably pull timing if it even does something... or both piggybacks do an oscillation. (heard this before in vw land).
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #34
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Blingo (misspelling intended)!!!!

And if it's voltage, then stacking may do nothing as target might be voltage of X, but then sees X+2 and does nothing because over target. Then ecu will probably pull timing if it even does something... or both piggybacks do an oscillation. (heard this before in vw land).
Well, as I understood it the original idea was to stack BM3 and JB+.

BM3 is not a piggyback, but a remap. So it's not really stacking as such, it's simply using JB+ as intended on a map that is higher than stock.

Again, not saying it's a good idea, and if the BM3 tune is already so high the turbo can't go higher, it won't help of course (not the case on BM3 Stage 1 though). And I agree it will probably pull timing.
Appreciate 0