F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Classifieds > (ESTIMATE) 2014 M Sport Automatic X-Drive 320D
proTUNING Freaks

04-30-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
(ESTIMATE) 2014 M Sport Automatic X-Drive 320D

I am toying with an idea of selling my 2014 M Sport Automatic X-Drive 320D. Need your advice on what kind of money I am looking at privately vs dealership?

About the car:
Think the original owner had a great time specifying this car and large wallet, I tried to add up all options on BMW website and it was coming up to be approx. £43k car. In my view lovely colour contrast combination; mineral grey colour exterior with darker trims such as high gloss Shadow line exterior, Sun protection glass and inside beige leather with Aluminium Hexagon trim.

So here it is:
  • - Current mileage 29600 (goes up every week by 150 or so)
  • - Production date: Jan 23, 2014
  • - Road tax p/a: £115
  • - Full official BMW services history, last service was Feb 21, 2018
  • - Last MOT August 2017
  • - No outstanding finance, purchased cash
  • - Installed new 4 x Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 Run-flats in December 2017 with wheel alignment, done approx. 2k miles since
  • - Comes with 5 Year RAC Platinum Warranty that I purchased with the car, expires September 2021. Covers ALL electrical and mechanical faults, no labour cap, no excess and complimentary annual 1-hour periodic maintenance check included.
  • - All receipts available including modifications

Key factory spec:
  • - Adaptive M sport suspension (2VF)
  • - Sport Automatic Transmission (2TB)
  • - Xenon Headlights with LED accent lights (522), Fog blights (520) & Headlight wash (502)
  • - M Star-spoke style 19” 403 M Alloys (2PF)
  • - M sport Brakes (2NH)
  • - Split-folding rear seat (465)
  • - BMW Professional Multimedia Navigation System (609)
  • - Exterior mirrors – folding, automatically dimming (430)
  • - Park Distance Control (PDC), front and rear (508)
  • - Extended Lighting Package (563)
  • - Sun protection glass (420)
  • - Harman Kardon Surround Sound System (688)
  • - Full black panel display cluster with extended display (6WA)
  • - Enhanced Bluetooth telephone preparation with USB audio interface and Voice Control (6NS)
  • And more…

Modifications (sensible), worth approx. £900:
  • - Stage 1 ECU Remap with dyno, from CC Tuning Ltd. Gained 330Nm Torque and 230BHP Power
  • - Front: Installed tinted lens fog lights (aftermarket, passed BMW MOT)
  • - Front: installed M Performance black kidney grills in matt finish (aftermarket)
  • - Back: Boot lip spoiler in Mineral Grey, Metallic to match body colour (aftermarket)
  • - Back: Genuine BMW M sport diffuser for dual exhaust tip
  • - Back: Dual exhaust tip from Fastline Styling, painted matt black
  • - Back: De-badged x drive and 320d lettering/numbering
  • - Updated to Road Map Europe 2017-1
  • - I have Carly app and adaptor, I have coded with it various bits and pieces i.e. turn signal now flashes x5, start stop remember last settings, ambient lighting brightness controlled separately, rain sensor on high sensitivity and etc….

Condition:
  • - Leather small mark on driver’s seat – will be repaired
  • - Rear bumper 1cm split, will be sorted
  • - 4 Alloys have visible white worn defect due to previously refurbished process (not by me), might leave it as is part of sale or get 442m 19” alloys

Some thoughts:
I am easy going with next car choice, as progression looking at 6-cylinder diesel or petrol but it has to adhere to the most of the spec below. Maybe another cash second purchase or maybe be good deal on PCP.

The hardest thing to part with this car is the efficiency vs performance of the engine, love the looks, great spec, modified to my taste and warranty till 2021.

Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #2
S5N
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 Estoril Blue

Beautiful car. I have been looking for something similar and would estimate it at around the £14k mark personally with the low mileage. Only problem I see you would have with your car is the beige interior, as nice as it looks, it's not everyone's cup of tea and you might have a harder time finding a buyer for the car than someone with black leather or similar.
Appreciate 1
vadimo310.00
      04-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #3
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S5N View Post
Beautiful car. I have been looking for something similar and would estimate it at around the £14k mark personally with the low mileage. Only problem I see you would have with your car is the beige interior, as nice as it looks, it's not everyone's cup of tea and you might have a harder time finding a buyer for the car than someone with black leather or similar.
thank you, i guess you could call beige old fashioned but i love it, it brightens ups interior, not as hard to look after as some make it out to be and less visible leather wear.

Do you think the warranty i listed till 2021 isn't valuable to buyers?
Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
I'd agree with that sort of price - might get chipped down to £13k.
You'd probably get quoted £11k as a part-ex.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
its less than expected (16-17k) especially with the warranty.

I purchased it for £20k in September 2016 at 18,637 miles, its now at 29600 miles
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimo View Post
I am toying with an idea of selling my 2014 M Sport Automatic X-Drive 320D. Need your advice on what kind of money I am looking at privately vs dealership?

About the car:
Think the original owner had a great time specifying this car and large wallet, I tried to add up all options on BMW website and it was coming up to be approx. £43k car. In my view lovely colour contrast combination; mineral grey colour exterior with darker trims such as high gloss Shadow line exterior, Sun protection glass and inside beige leather with Aluminium Hexagon trim.

So here it is:
  • - Current mileage 29600 (goes up every week by 150 or so)
  • - Production date: Jan 23, 2014
  • - Road tax p/a: £115
  • - Full official BMW services history, last service was Feb 21, 2018
  • - Last MOT August 2017
  • - No outstanding finance, purchased cash
  • - Installed new 4 x Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 Run-flats in December 2017 with wheel alignment, done approx. 2k miles since
  • - Comes with 5 Year RAC Platinum Warranty that I purchased with the car, expires September 2021. Covers ALL electrical and mechanical faults, no labour cap, no excess and complimentary annual 1-hour periodic maintenance check included.
  • - All receipts available including modifications

Key factory spec:
  • - Adaptive M sport suspension (2VF)
  • - Sport Automatic Transmission (2TB)
  • - Xenon Headlights with LED accent lights (522), Fog blights (520) & Headlight wash (502)
  • - M Star-spoke style 19" 403 M Alloys (2PF)
  • - M sport Brakes (2NH)
  • - Split-folding rear seat (465)
  • - BMW Professional Multimedia Navigation System (609)
  • - Exterior mirrors – folding, automatically dimming (430)
  • - Park Distance Control (PDC), front and rear (508)
  • - Extended Lighting Package (563)
  • - Sun protection glass (420)
  • - Harman Kardon Surround Sound System (688)
  • - Full black panel display cluster with extended display (6WA)
  • - Enhanced Bluetooth telephone preparation with USB audio interface and Voice Control (6NS)
  • And more…

Modifications (sensible), worth approx. £900:
  • - Stage 1 ECU Remap with dyno, from CC Tuning Ltd. Gained 330Nm Torque and 230BHP Power
  • - Front: Installed tinted lens fog lights (aftermarket, passed BMW MOT)
  • - Front: installed M Performance black kidney grills in matt finish (aftermarket)
  • - Back: Boot lip spoiler in Mineral Grey, Metallic to match body colour (aftermarket)
  • - Back: Genuine BMW M sport diffuser for dual exhaust tip
  • - Back: Dual exhaust tip from Fastline Styling, painted matt black
  • - Back: De-badged x drive and 320d lettering/numbering
  • - Updated to Road Map Europe 2017-1
  • - I have Carly app and adaptor, I have coded with it various bits and pieces i.e. turn signal now flashes x5, start stop remember last settings, ambient lighting brightness controlled separately, rain sensor on high sensitivity and etc….

Condition:
  • - Leather small mark on driver's seat – will be repaired
  • - Rear bumper 1cm split, will be sorted
  • - 4 Alloys have visible white worn defect due to previously refurbished process (not by me), might leave it as is part of sale or get 442m 19" alloys

Some thoughts:
I am easy going with next car choice, as progression looking at 6-cylinder diesel or petrol but it has to adhere to the most of the spec below. Maybe another cash second purchase or maybe be good deal on PCP.

The hardest thing to part with this car is the efficiency vs performance of the engine, love the looks, great spec, modified to my taste and warranty till 2021.

[IMG]https://la0f6w.db.files.1drv.com/y4m...&cropmode=none[/IMG]

[IMG]https://nk3iug.db.files.1drv.com/y4m...&cropmode=none[/IMG]

[IMG]https://na3iug.db.files.1drv.com/y4m...&cropmode=none[/IMG]

[IMG]https://m60f6w.db.files.1drv.com/y4m...&cropmode=none[/IMG]

[IMG]https://lk0f6w.db.files.1drv.com/y4m...&cropmode=none[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ma0f6w.db.files.1drv.com/y4m...&cropmode=none[/IMG]

[IMG]https://mk0f6w.db.files.1drv.com/y4m...&cropmode=none[/IMG]
That interior is sooo clean!

Car looks great too!

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 1
vadimo310.00
      04-30-2018, 06:05 PM   #7
S5N
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 Estoril Blue

I personally wouldn't really take the warranty into consideration as every time I have bought a used car, I expect to have to spend money on it to get it perfect. That's just a risk you have to take with used cars. It may be better if you can somehow get a refund or similar to recoup some money back on it.

When I bought my current car, the guy was paying £50 odd a month to BMW for warranty, that was something that interested me as it showed that the car has been cared for by BMW themselves and that the guy was clearly passionate about the car so it was in good condition, as expected. I did not find any benefit to it therefore I did not carry on with the warranty.

You may well be able to get £16k for the car but I think that's probably too keen, if you find the right person looking for that specific car then you have yourself a good deal. Your market is limited with the interior, even though it does look good and is unmarked, but it's sadly not popular with everyone. Furthermore, the car is now a 63 reg which makes it over four years old so you have to expect somewhat of a loss, but realistically I'd say your ballpark figure is in between £13-15k providing you can find the right buyer that's wanting your spec of car.

A few things I have learned over the years is not to advertise modifications you've done to the car as it only seems to put buyers off thinking the car has been tampered with. Buying a new (to you) car should be a new slate, you want to do everything yourself. Openly advertising the car has a remap is brave and won't go well with everyone as some people do not like the idea of remapping and would much rather a standard car. Even though I know you probably haven't, a remapped car screams to some that it has been 'hooned around'.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 01:34 AM   #8
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Blank

Quote:
I personally wouldn't really take the warranty into consideration as every time I have bought a used car, I expect to have to spend money on it to get it perfect. That's just a risk you have to take with used cars. It may be better if you can somehow get a refund or similar to recoup some money back on it.

When I bought my current car, the guy was paying £50 odd a month to BMW for warranty, that was something that interested me as it showed that the car has been cared for by BMW themselves and that the guy was clearly passionate about the car so it was in good condition, as expected. I did not find any benefit to it therefore I did not carry on with the warranty.

You may well be able to get £16k for the car but I think that's probably too keen, if you find the right person looking for that specific car then you have yourself a good deal. Your market is limited with the interior, even though it does look good and is unmarked, but it's sadly not popular with everyone. Furthermore, the car is now a 63 reg which makes it over four years old so you have to expect somewhat of a loss, but realistically I'd say your ballpark figure is in between £13-15k providing you can find the right buyer that's wanting your spec of car.

A few things I have learned over the years is not to advertise modifications you've done to the car as it only seems to put buyers off thinking the car has been tampered with. Buying a new (to you) car should be a new slate, you want to do everything yourself. Openly advertising the car has a remap is brave and won't go well with everyone as some people do not like the idea of remapping and would much rather a standard car. Even though I know you probably haven't, a remapped car screams to some that it has been 'hooned around'.
hmm interesting perspective on the warranty, I would see this as huge benefit, for example if something breaks I got it covered, appreciate there are some bad warranty companies out there but still my cover isn't.

I probably wouldn't advertise modifications on likes of AutoTrader, I agree that this may be perceived negatively. The mods are non-intrusive apart from remap, do I then advertise and not tell buyer that car has been remapped and let him enjoy and think not this 320D is really quick?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 02:54 AM   #9
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

I think that the warranty has some value - if I was in the market for a car of that age, I would pay more for a car with a warranty. That said, it's not a BMW warranty, so its value would depend on whether it allows the car to be fixed at a decent garage and not limited to some labour rate (£50/60ph?) which would mean a backstreet garage.

I would say £12-14k is about right and which end of that you start at depends on how keen you are to sell soon. When you get up towards £15-16k you could find a similar age car with a 30d or 35d.

EDIT: according to this thread the RAC labour rate is £40 per hour! If that's true the warranty is worth peanuts https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...t=1129073&i=20

Last edited by JD6; 05-01-2018 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 02:59 AM   #10
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

I agree with you on the warranty - if I was buying privately used I'd see this as a massive plus against similar (likely more expensive) cars on BMW's approved used scheme.

Likewise it's got all the important spec options (Xenons, Pro Nav, Auto, HK audio, etc) that will appeal to a wide audience of buyers. The beige interior is more of an individual choice, but even if it wasn't my first choice I could live with it more than I could live without the spec options mentioned. On the remap, personally I'd get the car flashed back to standard rather than misrepresent or put potential buyers off - how does this affect the RAC warranty? Presumably similar to BMW's own warranty and would void an engine related claim if they knew?

Good luck with the sale if you go ahead. To benchmark your price, why don't you stick the car on tootle and see what potential offers you get from trade buyers. Costs you nothing and you're under no obligation to sell, might surprise you if you get the right trader who has a buyer of their own lined up. 320d xDrive with low mileage and high spec will appeal to a lot of people for the blend of performance and economy
      05-01-2018, 04:20 AM   #11
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
EDIT: according to this thread the RAC labour rate is £40 per hour! If that's true the warranty is worth peanuts https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...29073&i=20
I red same thread before and I also red my T&C's there is no Labour cap, the only cap is the maximum claim of the car's value which I said before was 20k, I spoken to RAC also and asked if i can take it to BMW, they said yes but I could tell from her wording, RAC prefer not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
I agree with you on the warranty - if I was buying privately used I'd see this as a massive plus against similar (likely more expensive) cars on BMW's approved used scheme.

Likewise it's got all the important spec options (Xenons, Pro Nav, Auto, HK audio, etc) that will appeal to a wide audience of buyers. The beige interior is more of an individual choice, but even if it wasn't my first choice I could live with it more than I could live without the spec options mentioned. On the remap, personally I'd get the car flashed back to standard rather than misrepresent or put potential buyers off - how does this affect the RAC warranty? Presumably similar to BMW's own warranty and would void an engine related claim if they knew?

Good luck with the sale if you go ahead. To benchmark your price, why don't you stick the car on tootle and see what potential offers you get from trade buyers. Costs you nothing and you're under no obligation to sell, might surprise you if you get the right trader who has a buyer of their own lined up. 320d xDrive with low mileage and high spec will appeal to a lot of people for the blend of performance and economy
Spoken to some BMW specialists, remap VS warranty, basically they don't have to know it's remap, they just list out Repair estimate if asked they are not aware of such modification. Its always risk, sure get it.

Need to think about remap amdcselling with it, I prefer to pass it on to buyer and let him know it's done on the car, I have invoice and dyno runs.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 04:56 AM   #12
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
Thank you and great idea but you guys providing enough estimate

more opinions are welcome
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #13
M-love
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Hi I could potentially be interested in the car. If you Could forward me your email or contact number to discuss that would be great. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #14
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Decided.

Doesn't make sense selling this and then switching into another Fxx cra, paying more because it will be a 6 cylinder and then starting to modify (again) and getting to know the car.

I know this car very well and its 0 faults so I am still happy with it, its been paid for already, warranty included till 2021 and it doesn't cost me to have it other than standard motoring expenses.

Probably will wait for at least 1st year run of G20 before start thinking changing this BMW.
Appreciate 1
JD64266.50
      05-17-2018, 01:54 AM   #15
p-dawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D MSport

Lovely car and best colour in mineral grey. I just bought the same one but 330d. With no faults and long warranty on it I wouldn't bother selling it just to jump into another one. I would defiantly keep hold of it esp in the condition yours is in.

How did you get the warranty so long for the car. Did you buy extended warranty for it?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 03:02 AM   #16
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimo View Post
Decided.

Doesn't make sense selling this and then switching into another Fxx cra, paying more because it will be a 6 cylinder and then starting to modify (again) and getting to know the car.

I know this car very well and its 0 faults so I am still happy with it, its been paid for already, warranty included till 2021 and it doesn't cost me to have it other than standard motoring expenses.

Probably will wait for at least 1st year run of G20 before start thinking changing this BMW.
Good decision. It's a decent car that you still enjoy, so better to hang on to it until the next generation is out.

Having read a little more about RAC branded warranties, I am not at all convinced that it has much value. They sound like an absolute nightmare to deal with. There is also a clue on the RAC's own site as to how shite their warranty is if you read between the lines:

Last year alone RAC Warranty paid over £7.4m in repair bills*, to keep our customers motoring. With three main levels of cover RAC can offer you a warranty to suit your needs and your pocket and with over 190,000 warranties registered last year** we're sure you'll agree.
https://www.rac.co.uk/buying-a-car/rac-warranty

That equates to an average payout of just under £39 per year which suggests they avoid paying whenever possible!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 04:01 AM   #17
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
The RAC warranty package i have is only can be purchased from authorised car Supermarkets, so I went with 5 years. I just used yesterday their periodic annual maintenance check allowance with BMW indy, the RAC will only cover maximum of £45 but agreed to extend to £50, the total bill was £90 because I asked him to regas AC and put it under maintenance. On repairs claims there is no cap only maximum sold value of the car £20k is the cap.

Indy's comments on checking were - underneath, it's like a 6 month old car. So keeping this.

Next 2 sensible mods:
1. heated steering wheel
2. 442m alloys
Appreciate 0