F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
GetBMWParts

07-30-2015, 07:19 AM   #1145
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermonee86 View Post
Hello! Im retrofitting HU_entry to HU_NBT, my car hasn't got microphone and I have bought one, but I need the cable to connec it at the NBT.
I'm not sure what pieces I have to buy to build that, can someone tell me what pieces I need?

Thank you so
Just some regular wire will do: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-equ...lack-10m-fa26d
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:09 AM   #1146
xenos
Rep
Drives: bmw 116i

After NBT retrofit to a F20, the little wheel at the steering wheel doesn't work anymore. It used to change radio station or song. any idea why is this or how can it be coded someway?

Furthermore, I do not have a BT mic. Can I use a mic, other than BMW's, as I have trouble installing it somewere conveniently?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #1147
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenos View Post
After NBT retrofit to a F20, the little wheel at the steering wheel doesn't work anymore. It used to change radio station or song. any idea why is this or how can it be coded someway?

Furthermore, I do not have a BT mic. Can I use a mic, other than BMW's, as I have trouble installing it somewere conveniently?
I'm assuming you have don't have the 6WA black panel display?

You need to code the following if you have the basic KOMBI:

Info: Option to allow watch next track on Basic Kombi with a retrofitted NBT
HU_NBT [3000]
BASIS_KOMBI_MMI_LIST
New Value: aktiv
Default Value: nicht_aktiv
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #1148
xenos
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
I'm assuming you have don't have the 6WA black panel display?
No, I do not have it.

Quote:
You need to code the following if you have the basic KOMBI:

Info: Option to allow watch next track on Basic Kombi with a retrofitted NBT
HU_NBT [3000]
BASIS_KOMBI_MMI_LIST
New Value: aktiv
Default Value: nicht_aktiv
I think that this was at aktiv, but I will check again.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 06:50 AM   #1149
xenos
Rep

Quote:
No, I do not have it.

I think that this was at aktiv, but I will check again.
For some reason, it wasn't at aktiv, as I thought. Everything seems ok now.
Thanks.

Any idea on below?

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 10:08 AM   #1150
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Any idea on below?
To install the official microphone; cut a hole in the roof liner. Ask a member to measure the size of the hole. The Mic is attached to the cover which just clicks into the hole. Run 2 electrical wires from the mic down to the NBT qualock connector as follows:

Mic 1:
Pin 17 +ve
Pin 22 -ve

Mic: 2
Pin 18 +ve
Pin 19 -ve

If you initially hear nothing try switching the wires into the Mic.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 03:21 AM   #1151
xenos
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilo View Post
Hi guys,
One more NBT retrofited Thanks to you all and this formidable Bimmers community

Otherwise, I have coded the new NBT, but I think I did some mistakes (as it was my first BMW coding )
After coding, I see in the screen EXACTLY what I had on my old business iDrive: small image 6.5" (black on the right of screen), all features I had...
Had this too. You have to remove 663 (professional radio) and add 609 (nbt) and code.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 03:22 AM   #1152
xenos
Rep

Quote:
To install the official microphone; cut a hole in the roof liner. Ask a member to measure the size of the hole. The Mic is attached to the cover which just clicks into the hole. Run 2 electrical wires from the mic down to the NBT qualock connector as follows:

Mic 1:
Pin 17 +ve
Pin 22 -ve

Mic: 2
Pin 18 +ve
Pin 19 -ve

If you initially hear nothing try switching the wires into the Mic.
thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #1153
ermonee86
Spain
Rep
Drives: F20 118d

DONE!

I have retrofitted my f20, now bt with freehands, voice control, gps. I bought a mic and today I installed it and works perfect.
Waiting for the usb' cable.

Doesn't work the aux, does anyone know why? It's the only part the car came with (hu_entry with aux, no bt).

And the office doesn't appears at main menu, shawn could you pm with codes please?

Another one question, is there any guide to upgrade the firmware version?

Thank you everybody who write and solve ours problems! You are great!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #1154
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermonee86 View Post
DONE!

I have retrofitted my f20, now bt with freehands, voice control, gps. I bought a mic and today I installed it and works perfect.
Waiting for the usb' cable.

Doesn't work the aux, does anyone know why? It's the only part the car came with (hu_entry with aux, no bt).

And the office doesn't appears at main menu, shawn could you pm with codes please?

Another one question, is there any guide to upgrade the firmware version?

Thank you everybody who write and solve ours problems! You are great!
Who uses the AUX nowadays
If your F20 came with the combox then it'll be routed to that. Personally I wouldn't bother attempting to fix it.

In rgds to Office, you'll need to remove 6NH and replace with 6NS in your VO.

If you want to upgrade the NBT firmware then you'll need to a constant external power supply as you can't upgrade the NBT firmware whilst the car is switched on. Upgrade is done using esys. Search the forum for instructions.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #1155
F20driver
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20

Hi all,

I have read this thread long long time ago and now I am deciding to retrofit my F20 from HU_ENTRY with Combox and basic KOMBI to HU_NBT.

I am new to do the retrofit and I got a few stupid questions,
1)I am wondering where is the MOST cable originally connected to the combox?
2)Should I unplug the MOST cable in the combox after installing the NBT? any error if i do so?
3)Does anyone got a wiring diagram regarding the MOST cable connection among NBT, 6WA, ZGM?
4)Since I may also retrofit a 6WA kombi, i am wondering if I can use the original cable connector from the basic kombi

Thanks for your help in advance : )
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #1156
Jus71n
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D Sport F30 2013

Since my install everything has been good, cept for a couple of times when using the navigation the GPS location drifts maybe 50 yards from the road i'm on which sometimes throws the navigation out, then after 5 mins its back to normal

So the question is where have you guys installed your GPS aerials? mines on the bar under the 8.8" screen (under dash) I've toyed with the idea of running it up to the roof (near interior light?) just wondering how big a job that would be?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #1157
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
606 on Entry Nav F23

Quote:
Correct, the new entry and business nav (not CHAMP 2), are the same unit. The only difference is the business unit has navigation a FSC code.
Hi Kitster, I have an F23 without nav, April 2015 Build. I believe the HU should be EntryNav? How difficult is it to obtain maps, FSC Codes and GPS antenna to emable Business Nav? Bimmertech thought I would need a new HU?

Thanks in advance
Simon
2019 G05 3.0d MSport in Artic Grey/ Black 2015 F15 3.0d MSport/ 2014 F15 3.0d MSport, Carbon Black with Ivory White/ Black interior. 2015 f23 2 series convertible in Glacier Silver / Black. 2010 F07 5GT SE Sapphire Black with Ivory White/black interior
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #1158
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speuk View Post
Hi Kitster, I have an F23 without nav, April 2015 Build. I believe the HU should be EntryNav? How difficult is it to obtain maps, FSC Codes and GPS antenna to emable Business Nav? Bimmertech thought I would need a new HU?

Thanks in advance
Simon
Getting the maps and GPS antenna are easy but you need to make sure your headunit has the correct inputs/outputs. For example there were many versions of the HU_ENTRY. Getting the FSC codes to enable the maps might be harder, I've not had to do it myself but if you did get one (not for you car's VIN), then you'll prob need an emulator to get around the mismatching VINs. So Bimmertech might be right....personally if you're going down that route, I'd look into retrofitting the (ProNav) NBT unit.

Send a message to shawnsheridan he might have a contact for importing the FSC code.

I warn you the HU_ENTRYNAV FSC codes are DF based, which the current freebie FSC generators don't support. They only support 1B (CIC) and DE (NBT).
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 12:33 PM   #1159
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus71n View Post
Since my install everything has been good, cept for a couple of times when using the navigation the GPS location drifts maybe 50 yards from the road i'm on which sometimes throws the navigation out, then after 5 mins its back to normal

So the question is where have you guys installed your GPS aerials? mines on the bar under the 8.8" screen (under dash) I've toyed with the idea of running it up to the roof (near interior light?) just wondering how big a job that would be?

Thanks
I've got mine in the same location. I would take the antenna out and place on your dashboard. If it's still crazy then it might be your antenna needs replacing.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 04:30 PM   #1160
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Getting the maps and GPS antenna are easy but you need to make sure your headunit has the correct inputs/outputs. For example there were many versions of the HU_ENTRY. Getting the FSC codes to enable the maps might be harder, I've not had to do it myself but if you did get one (not for you car's VIN), then you'll prob need an emulator to get around the mismatching VINs. So Bimmertech might be right....personally if you're going down that route, I'd look into retrofitting the (ProNav) NBT unit.

Send a message to shawnsheridan he might have a contact for importing the FSC code.

I warn you the HU_ENTRYNAV FSC codes are DF based, which the current freebie FSC generators don't support. They only support 1B (CIC) and DE (NBT).
Many thanks, when I have time I'll take a look at the head unit, I had seen on other posts that some don't have the connector for the GPS aerial. I'll probably wait until the warranty is up and then the the NBT upgrade .
Thanks again
Simon
2019 G05 3.0d MSport in Artic Grey/ Black 2015 F15 3.0d MSport/ 2014 F15 3.0d MSport, Carbon Black with Ivory White/ Black interior. 2015 f23 2 series convertible in Glacier Silver / Black. 2010 F07 5GT SE Sapphire Black with Ivory White/black interior
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #1161
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20driver View Post
Hi all,

I have read this thread long long time ago and now I am deciding to retrofit my F20 from HU_ENTRY with Combox and basic KOMBI to HU_NBT.

I am new to do the retrofit and I got a few stupid questions,
2)Should I unplug the MOST cable in the combox after installing the NBT? any error if i do so?
3)Does anyone got a wiring diagram regarding the MOST cable connection among NBT, 6WA, ZGM?
4)Since I may also retrofit a 6WA kombi, i am wondering if I can use the original cable connector from the basic kombi

Thanks for your help in advance : )
Inline

The MOST cable connects into the COMBOX, you can't miss it. When retrofitting you want to completely disable it because the NBT has a built in combox.

You need to remove the MOST cable from the combox and close the loop by attaching a terminating MOST Loop. Also you'll need to move the MOST cable from the quadlok and into the emulator quadlok.

See above.

4)Since I may also retrofit a 6WA kombi, i am wondering if I can use the original cable connector from the basic combo

Sorry had the 6WA as standard. Heard the retrofit is quite involved.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 08:09 PM   #1162
F20driver
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20

Quote:
Inline

The MOST cable connects into the COMBOX, you can't miss it. When retrofitting you want to completely disable it because the NBT has a built in combox.

You need to remove the MOST cable from the combox and close the loop by attaching a terminating MOST Loop. Also you'll need to move the MOST cable from the quadlok and into the emulator quadlok.

See above.

4)Since I may also retrofit a 6WA kombi, i am wondering if I can use the original cable connector from the basic combo

Sorry had the 6WA as standard. Heard the retrofit is quite involved.
Thanks a lot kitster
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 06:42 AM   #1163
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F34 LCI MY2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by speuk View Post
Many thanks, when I have time I'll take a look at the head unit, I had seen on other posts that some don't have the connector for the GPS aerial. I'll probably wait until the warranty is up and then the the NBT upgrade .
Thanks again
Simon
I have the same issue in an almost new MY2016 F34 with Radio Prof (HU_ENTRYNAV). Iīd like to retrofit the 8,8" screen and nav function.

There are 2 options as I learned here:

1. Like speuk, trying to enable nav function in HU_Entrynav.
+: HU remains original incl. integrated combox with service data.
-: Is there a gps antenna plug? FSCīs, map, etc. available? Using emulator wouldnīt be a problem.

2. Buying new NBT Evo HU.
What happens with integrated combox and service data?
Installation would be almost plug&play?
If I have a brandnew HU, is it normally completely empty and will Iīll need FSCīs? Could I use FSCīs from another car - with emulator?

The question in case of such retrofits is also what can BMW see via combox communication (Teleservices etc.)?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 07:16 AM   #1164
cedchung
Lieutenant
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25, 2014 F30

I have only dealt with HU_ENTRYNAV once and it didn't have the GPS antenna input.
      10-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #1165
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TePee View Post
I have the same issue in an almost new MY2016 F34 with Radio Prof (HU_ENTRYNAV). Iīd like to retrofit the 8,8" screen and nav function.

There are 2 options as I learned here:

-: Is there a gps antenna plug? FSCīs, map, etc. available? Using emulator wouldnīt be a problem.

If I have a brandnew HU, is it normally completely empty and will Iīll need FSCīs? Could I use FSCīs from another car - with emulator?

The question in case of such retrofits is also what can BMW see via combox communication (Teleservices etc.)?

Unless you can get an FSC code generated for your car's VIN you will need an emulator.

- The combox is built into the NBT. What do you mean by service data?
- If your USB connects directly into the headunit, then it's 90% plug&play. You won't get the handwritting feature to work without adding the module. Everything is just coding and plugging into the back e.g. GPS Antenna.
- Don't get a brand new head unit, it'll cost a fortune and without the FSC codes it's an expensive stereo without NAV. Get one off ebay and don't forget the emulator to use the donor FSC codes. If possible get one with the 6NR (BMW Apps) FSC codes, unfortunately most sellers have no idea if the code is there or ask them for the donor VIN and check online for the original build spec.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 05:06 AM   #1166
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F34 LCI MY2019

Thanks kitster!

Iīm a little bit careful with the retrofit as itīs a brandnew car…

One of my main points is this built-in combox and the SIM card. What happens with that if I install a new HU NBT?
As the new HU has a different SIM card, how does it match my car? Will Intelligent Emergeny Call (6AC) and Teleservices (6AE) still work? This is the factory equipment I have.

With service data I meant the maintenance intervals (oil change etc.). Are these normally stored in the Kombi and then transferred to HU (Entrynav or NBT) and its built-in combox? What happens if I have a new HU?

Iīm still waiting for my emulator, but maybe Iīll already install NBT. It should work, but only navigation will be inactive (grey), right? Then I could also check FSC codes etc.
In the unlucky case there are no FSCs, I could still inject some from another car, if I can get some.., right?
Appreciate 0