F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F36 GC build, a love hate, more love of course
GetBMWParts

11-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
drskmd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Post F36 GC build, a love hate, more love of course

Hi Fans, this is my first post, been avid reader for years. Ive been holding it all in, so heres the first of many to come. Its long (if you want the cliff notes, skip the txt between the dotted lines to bottom)... hate all you want, or enjoy and chime in...I wont be offended. Im here to enjoy and learn and share.
- Cheers

===========================================

I'm currently building a 435i GC and would like to open it to the forums for opinions, all are welcome good and bad. Ive been toying with my build for 1 month now, and this is what Ive settled on.

My past BMW History:
- 2010-2008 BMW 330 series coupe, Sports Pkg, Black/Saddle Brown
- 2008-2006 BMW 325 series coupe, Sports Pkg, Topaz/Black

Social History:
- Married 4 yrs, no kids (plan on in next 1-2 yrs), and wife is BMW fan

I like sporty yet practical cars and have been driving German (VW) for last 4 yrs however Im ready to go back to my first love again. To me it really is the ultimate driving machine. I'm not ready for the M-line yet. Goals in 3 yrs would be M3 or M4, and then 3 years after, go for the M5.

The Grand Groupe, when I first laid eyes on it, felt dreamy. I first spotted it on the road and thought, "wow that 6 series looks different now." Until, I came up to a stop next to it. It didnt make any sense looking at it. The badge said 435..yet there was writing of grand coupe..yet the car was a 4..thought 4's were 2 doors...it said coupe?? wtf... and had 4 doors....I thought I hit the twilight zone. I had also come off a 13 hour overnight shift and felt like I was seeing things. Next thing you know, It drove off first and made a turn and disappeared and there was something about it that made me feel like...."damn, what was that...am I hallucinating or what...but I wanted to know more" thats how it all started...

I went onto google and researched it, and thats when the pictures from geneva show popped up. I stayed up another 3 hours just reading over and over about this new GC, and fell in love. Carbon black, it was mean and stealthy in the dark, yet add some angles and lighting and you create a blue and purple hue. Its like buying 2-3 color swatches in 1, I was sold.

Then the ivory..a perfect contrast to the CB. Ive never had white interior, frankly because I thought "oh it would get so dirty...". not this time. The white in all pictures was just the right fit to the CB. The extra trimmings with the anthracite wood was like a cherry on nicely whipped cream. Love at first sight again.

At this time, I was sold on Carbon Black, Ivory White and Anthracite wood trim.

Looking at the lines, I toyed with the builder configuration and teased out the nuances of each. I had had sport lines before but never and M-sport. The luxury seems very euro-english look (not a bad look, just wasnt me)..I'm an American dammit, born and raised in South Africa, now living in the states. I settled on M-sport, without much though on this one.

Then came the challenging parts...the parts I began to get frustrated and hated. When I began customizing with the wheels and options and accents, I couldnt mix and match like I had imagined.

I couldnt do the estoril blue with the anthracite. I dont particularly like the pearl chrome, looks plastic like to me. I couldnt get the 19 inch light alloys with the M-sport breaks unless paying $900 extra for the light alloys. Forced to pick the orbit greys (exact same) as the light alloy however its darker with a 2 time. I read up on this is because BMW was concerned of brake dust issues, but come on man, thats bull. I cannot see what this option was not there, it hurt.

Then it came down to the options. I have a working budget and was weighing between performance/speed vs interior goodies. In the perfect world of unlimited $$$, I would go with both. But I told myself its 1 or the other. I settled with M-performance styling. I chose MPPK, MPE and MP diffuser, black gloss kidney grills and the chrome tip exhausts (comes with exhaust as a 2 part thing). The interior package options were LED lighting, premium pkg and DHP. I opted out to go for M-performance.

DHP vs non-DHP drove me nuts for sleepless nights. I read about this topic for 3 days straight. Im still confused. Called my sales associate, he said opt out of it. A sales guy told me not to get it.....threw me off. I kinda of wanted him to sell it to me, we've had a good rapport and hes a good guy. But I was set he was going to say "go ahead and get it." But no...then I read more, and more....and more....its a $1000.....and yet I couldnt grapple over whether I wanted to get it or not. I asked around to prior BMW owners, some said get it, some didnt have a preference. Read forums....I settled on Non-DHP. My brain is too fried to go into the internal battle I had with this option. LED lighting I liked the concept, however 1900 for mainly night driving was not worth it to me. I do mainly day time driving and although the technology is amazing, I parted ways with it.

==================================

And thats how she was created...

435i Grand Coupe M-sport
Carbon Black/Ivory White
Anthracite wood trim/pearl gloss accent
19" Light Alloy Wheel Double-spoke Style442 M with Mixed Performance Tires
M-performance add ons:
Black Gloss Kidney/Chrome exhaust tips/MPPK/MPE/Diffuser
Total Price Tag $55,900
Doing a lease, 0 down, good price, South Carolina Pick up

In the end, I love this car I build. I plan on doing a 3 yr lease and having fun with it. Who knows, maybe even option to buy If I cant part ways...excited either way

Questions to the fans and experts out there...

1. what do you think? what would you change? What do you suggest I add that is an absolute must?
2. What problems should I anticipate?
3. I plan on tinting windows, any recommendations?

I plan on pulling the trigger in next 1-2 weeks. I welcome the discussions, thanks and god bless.

Last edited by drskmd; 11-18-2014 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

The only thing I would say is that the MSport comes with the msport suspension, which is pretty stiff. I hear that the roads in FL are fairly good, so probably will be ok. Wife sounds like she might like a sporty ride, so you're probably ok without DHP.

Park distance control is pretty nice, have to say. Since appearance is important, it will help keep you from scratching the bumpers and corners.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Congratulations!

Get the DHP. Period. As for the LEDs, you wont miss out on any technology since the adaptive lights and high beam assist has been on the xenons since the beginning of the f30. It has only been coded off for the american market.. just make sure you get the high beam assist and the adaptive part can be acitvated via coding.

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Only thing lacking for me (on my car at least) is DHP.
MPPK and MPE could be added afterward for almost the same money.

If it was me, I'd remove the MPE and add the DHP.
Almost the same price when building the car.

But retrofit an MPE is going to be the same price down the road.
Try to retrofit the DHP... Priceless.

BTW, congrats on a great car.
I'm very jealous.
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Your profile states that you currently drive a 428GC ??? Anyway, have you considered adding the HK stereo? My understanding is that the base stereo is pretty sub-par.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
drskmd
Enlisted Member
Rep

I didnt realize it said 428, when I first signed up, it would not let me move to next screen without typing in a car. I was shopping for the 428 first, then liked the 435 instead. will edit, thanks for heads up. Ive considered HK system, but for 800$, doesnt seem worth it?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
drskmd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i_4D View Post
Only thing lacking for me (on my car at least) is DHP.
MPPK and MPE could be added afterward for almost the same money.

If it was me, I'd remove the MPE and add the DHP.
Almost the same price when building the car.

But retrofit an MPE is going to be the same price down the road.
Try to retrofit the DHP... Priceless.

BTW, congrats on a great car.
I'm very jealous.
hmm you got me thinking DHP now, the MPE is residualized, so I figure its better with the lease and while its at port. I would pay more after the fact + labor.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
drskmd
Enlisted Member
Rep

is M-adaptive suspension superior than the M-sport PASSIVE suspension?

I keep hearing its too floaty in comfort and too rigid in sport....did BMW purposefully not make a great M-sport suspension just to get people to add the $1000 DHP, or did they make a great M-sport PASSIVE and the DHP is an upgradable better add on option? if its the latter, I prefer to get it...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
drskmd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
The only thing I would say is that the MSport comes with the msport suspension, which is pretty stiff. I hear that the roads in FL are fairly good, so probably will be ok. Wife sounds like she might like a sporty ride, so you're probably ok without DHP.

Park distance control is pretty nice, have to say. Since appearance is important, it will help keep you from scratching the bumpers and corners.
parents have park distance on their x5, its good. im a pretty careful driver, knock on wood. thanks for feedback
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Here's mine coming in a few weeks. It's a weird build it I have my reasons.

435 GC M-Sport
Estoril Blue / Oyster leather / Alu-Estoril trim
Premium Package
Lighting Package
M-Sport brakes
Drivers Assistance

I built mine knowing I was not going to keep past the lease. I always wanted a blue car and EB II is stunning personally. I've always had black leather interiors and felt it was time for a change and it got too hot in the summers. Thought about Ivory but I think it'll get dirty too easily. No DHP because I've had adaptive dampers on a prior car and hated it. Also the variable steering sounds like it'll make the steering more artificial than it already is. I got LEDs because hey they're cool. No tech package because I rarely need navigation. No HK because I pretty much just listen to podcasts or just the engine and windows down when going for a spirited drive. No 19"s because I don't want to worry about bent rims and tire bubbles everytime I hit a pothole. No M accessories because I'm gonna cut it close with my Un4gettable driving event credit and didn't want any more delays at port. Love the MPE though. So yea weird build but it suits me.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #11
SpeedKing
I'm a highway star
Rep
Drives: M440i G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerix View Post
Here's mine coming in a few weeks. It's a weird build it I have my reasons.

435 GC M-Sport
Estoril Blue / Oyster leather / Alu-Estoril trim
Premium Package
Lighting Package
M-Sport brakes
Drivers Assistance

I built mine knowing I was not going to keep past the lease. I always wanted a blue car and EB II is stunning personally. I've always had black leather interiors and felt it was time for a change and it got too hot in the summers. Thought about Ivory but I think it'll get dirty too easily. No DHP because I've had adaptive dampers on a prior car and hated it. Also the variable steering sounds like it'll make the steering more artificial than it already is. I got LEDs because hey they're cool. No tech package because I rarely need navigation. No HK because I pretty much just listen to podcasts or just the engine and windows down when going for a spirited drive. No 19"s because I don't want to worry about bent rims and tire bubbles everytime I hit a pothole. No M accessories because I'm gonna cut it close with my Un4gettable driving event credit and didn't want any more delays at port. Love the MPE though. So yea weird build but it suits me.
I can tell you oyster will get dirty easily too: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...1&d=1414757893
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #12
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

That's oyster? Didn't think it was that beige. Maybe shoulda got ivory white. The black accents are nice. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #13
drskmd
Enlisted Member
Rep

what exactly is the un4gettable credit? something I should consider?
thanks for you input.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #14
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

It was a test drive event a couple months ago but it's over. $1000 credit. There's a Holday Credit promotion this month I believe.
Appreciate 0