F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > NBT EVO Retrofit GPS issue
Extreme Powerhouse

02-28-2020, 10:35 AM   #1
michalis-cy
Registered
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI

NBT EVO Retrofit GPS issue

I retrofitted an NBT EVO to my F36 (previous was ENTRYNAV2 without navigation).
NBT was retrofitted and coded by the seller with an in-build GPS and external GPS antenna (not via ATB since there is no ATB).

Since the beginning, whenever the GPS signal is lost (drive in tunnels or underground parking) the position is misaligned (i think be the distance driven without signal). The GPS position will come back to the correct after a day or so.

Is this an antenna issue or coding issue?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 05:50 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michalis-cy View Post
I retrofitted an NBT EVO to my F36 (previous was ENTRYNAV2 without navigation).
NBT was retrofitted and coded by the seller with an in-build GPS and external GPS antenna (not via ATB since there is no ATB).

Since the beginning, whenever the GPS signal is lost (drive in tunnels or underground parking) the position is misaligned (i think be the distance driven without signal). The GPS position will come back to the correct after a day or so.

Is this an antenna issue or coding issue?

Thanks
A GPS does not need a day to recover signals. Sounds like a hardware issue that your GPS is not positioned where it can clearly receive multiple transmitters.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 12:59 AM   #3
michalis-cy
Registered
Rep

Thank for the hint!
After some further investigation is seems that GPS signal is lost occasionally.
I checked the GPS Status from the service menu and some times I can see that the status are reported as no gps signal, which I don't know how to interpret ....
Is it a GPS antenna issue? If I move it to another location (changed several locations till now, I used to be under the dash, not moved below the trim at the top edge of the windscreen)
is it a GPS issue of the NBT Evo unit?

Thanks again for your help!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 09:45 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michalis-cy View Post
Thank for the hint!
After some further investigation is seems that GPS signal is lost occasionally.
I checked the GPS Status from the service menu and some times I can see that the status are reported as no gps signal, which I don't know how to interpret ....
Is it a GPS antenna issue? If I move it to another location (changed several locations till now, I used to be under the dash, not moved below the trim at the top edge of the windscreen)
is it a GPS issue of the NBT Evo unit?

Thanks again for your help!
No, as a rule, OEM or properly retrofitted NBT-EVO have no issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 07:26 AM   #5
mdchris
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

Install a wireless carplay or android auto device, use google maps or waze and forget about the crappy factory nav.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 04:16 AM   #6
michalis-cy
Registered
Rep

My NBT EVO was already coded with CarPlay and I'm using Google Maps instead since the beginning...
I was just trying to see if there is a solution to the In-build nav module
I moved the GPS antenna further to the middle of the Windscreen (below trim), and since then, whenever I visit the Service menu the GPS signal seems OK, but I'll have to test further, especially in cases where the GPS signal is lost (underground parking etc) and see how quickly the GPS module will be able to recover the location.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 03:51 PM   #7
Creedozz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchris View Post
Install a wireless carplay or android auto device, use google maps or waze and forget about the crappy factory nav.
I have signal issues with wireless carplay. I dont know why but iphone does not get the gps signals well. Maybe my phone has gps issues i dont know. Do you have stuck issues?
Appreciate 0