F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F33 F83 Convertible HK Stereo tune not same as coupe / 4dr
ARMA SPEED

06-04-2021, 12:36 AM   #1
HandlerFahrer
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

F33 F83 Convertible HK Stereo tune not same as coupe / 4dr

Hoping to find someone who can help me figure out how BMW has made the Harman Kardon stereo system tune different between the F-Series convertible cars and the non-convertible F-Series cars. I had a coupe and sold it a few years ago. I couldn't wait to get back to that excellent stereo system when I got another car...I bought an M4 Conv and I can't believe how crappy the stereo sounds compared to the coupes/4-dr/Gran Coupes. It's very different. Way less bass, and shrill highs that leave your ears hurting if you turn it up. There's also way less clear, smooth midrange sound.

I jumped back and forth between cars and its definitely the tune. I can say it's not due to other variables like slight diff in shape of interior (slightly affecting acoustics), the 4 less speakers in the parcel shelf, etc. The amp, head unit, all speakers are all the same across the cars, and the various years (LCI, etc.) all have no factor as I've tested cars with older i-Drive vs ID6. It's all about the tune and the sound coming directly out of the speakers.
I just had the car coded - coded the HU and Amp as a coupe but it didn't make any difference. (someone indicated that perhaps the coding didn't "stick") Does anyone have a contact or any info that could help me figure out what BMW has done to make the tune different so I can find a way to change it back to the perfection that it could be. It's so disappointing that BMW would do something so stupid.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 12:15 AM   #2
HandlerFahrer
Rep

I found a solution to this crappy situation! Search for the thread.. WTH did BMW do to the F83 stereo?
I posted the solution there..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 12:16 AM   #3
HandlerFahrer
Rep

Just realized I could probably paste the link...

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1600770
Appreciate 0