F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BM3 + High flow cat/catless downpipe & intercooler combinnation/suggestions (N26)?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-17-2018, 07:32 AM   #1
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Glacier Silver F30 328i

BM3 + High flow cat/catless downpipe & intercooler combinnation/suggestions (N26)?

I recently purchased bootmod3 and will be installing Stage 1 this afternoon. I want to eventually upgrade to Stage 2 but realized to get any noticeable gains in Stage 2 I will need to upgrade my downpipe and intercooler. I'm wondering if anyone on the forum is running bm3 (Stage 2) with the upgraded downpipe & intercooler on their N26? What downpipe and intercooler combination are you running? Did you run into any problems?

* I preferably want to run a high flow catted downpipe because emissions are tough to pass in my state.
* All my most recent mods are in my signature and I've already removed my Dinan Sport+ tuner.
* I have the base model front bumper and don't plan on changing it. Not sure if this is going to cause clearance issues with a new intercooler?

Thanks~
2014 GLACIER SILVER F30 328i * Wheels:18" VMR V801 Titanium Black Shadow * Springs: DINAN 1" Lowering Springs * Tune: BM3 OTS E30/93 OCT * Engine: Evolution Racewerks Catless DP/CP/FMIC * Intake: AWE S-Flo Carbon Fiber Intake * Exhaust: AWE Exhaust Suite + Mid Pipe * Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve * Plugs: NGK LI Plugs * Lights: Depo Angel Eyes W/ Morimoto HID's * Hood: Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

Good luck!
In your your opinion of DINAN sport vs BM3 stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmortar View Post
Good luck!
In your your opinion of DINAN sport vs BM3 stage 1.
Not sure if I understand?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 09:49 AM   #4
madmortar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_bri_328i View Post
Not sure if I understand?
Sorry, i meant "interested in your opinion of DINAN vs BM3 stage 1"

After you make the switch of course.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #5
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmortar View Post
Sorry, i meant "interested in your opinion of DINAN vs BM3 stage 1"

After you make the switch of course.
I’ll let you know.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #6
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

VRSF DP and VRSF Intercooler is good combo, probably what I will do when I eventually go stage 2 (enjoying stage one for the foreseeable future). I also have emissions testing every 2 years here in NJ, but I plan on going catless and just throwing the stock DP back in every 2 years. It's a PITA, but I think it's worth it to just go catless. However if you do really want HF catted, I've heard good things about Evolution Racewerks' (ER) high flow catted downpipe.

You shouldn't have any fitment issues with the VRSF intercooler on the base model bumper.

As a side note, let us know what you think of BM3 stage 1! I'd love to see your logs if you get a chance as well. I'm still trying to find other stage 1 logs to compare to mine.
      05-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

For a cat, high flow catted or catless will both fail you more than likely. My suggestion is that if you can't get your hands on a... Let's just say "Pass by the slipping of a bill", then just swap in the stock one each time you go for an emissions test.

I'll let you do your own research on who is the "best" provider for your parts, but ER and Wagner will always get my votes for these two. ER DP and ER/Wagner FMIC are my suggestions. People will go to bat for VRSF day-and-night, but you can't beat the quality of the aforementioned companies. VRSF to me has always seemed like it "works", but the quality of materials and welds have appeared subpar. I also would look up the leak probability of some FMICs as some are leaking from the factory.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 1
SFV8187.50
      05-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #8
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
For a cat, high flow catted or catless will both fail you more than likely. My suggestion is that if you can't get your hands on a... Let's just say "Pass by the slipping of a bill", then just swap in the stock one each time you go for an emissions test.

I'll let you do your own research on who is the "best" provider for your parts, but ER and Wagner will always get my votes for these two. ER DP and ER/Wagner FMIC are my suggestions. People will go to bat for VRSF day-and-night, but you can't beat the quality of the aforementioned companies. VRSF to me has always seemed like it "works", but the quality of materials and welds have appeared subpar. I also would look up the leak probability of some FMICs as some are leaking from the factory.
Fair enough, you have more experience with these products than I. VRSF is definitely the bang-for-your-buck brand, and that shows in the pricing vs. the others, but from what I've heard, their quality is still good*. When it comes to a DP, as far as I'm concerned it's a hollow pipe and if fitment is good, cheaper is better, assuming build and manufacturing is at least a 7/10. VRSF doesn't offer catted so they're out anyway if you really want catted. OP, like the above quoted post mentions, do your own research and measure the quality-price balance that works best for you. As for FMICs, here is a thread I started a while ago trying to get some insight: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1466059&page=2
On the first page of that thread, you'll see another thread linked that talks all about intercoolers, and there you'll see VRSF recommended plenty of times.
On the second page (of the thread linked in this post), you'll find a log of another member showing the VRSF IC doing it's job very well, just pay attention to the IATs.

*I don't own any VRSF, ER or Wagner products, I'm just reiterating the research I've done and things I've heard.
      05-17-2018, 10:56 AM   #9
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Fair enough, you have more experience with these products than I. VRSF is definitely the bang-for-your-buck brand, and that shows in the pricing vs. the others, but from what I've heard, their quality is still good*. When it comes to a DP, as far as I'm concerned it's a hollow pipe and if fitment is good, cheaper is better, assuming build and manufacturing is at least a 7/10. VRSF doesn't offer catted so they're out anyway if you really want catted. OP, like the above quoted post mentions, do your own research and measure the quality-price balance that works best for you. As for FMICs, here is a thread I started a while ago trying to get some insight: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1466059&page=2
On the first page of that thread, you'll see another thread linked that talks all about intercoolers, and there you'll see VRSF recommended plenty of times.
On the second page (of the thread linked in this post), you'll find a log of another member showing the VRSF IC doing it's job very well, just pay attention to the IATs.

*I don't own any VRSF, ER or Wagner products, I'm just reiterating the research I've done and things I've heard.

I'm really glad that both of you chimed in as I've been looking through a bunch of your threads and you seem to give great perspective and insight on these subjects. I'm starting to wonder if it's all worth it...?
2014 GLACIER SILVER F30 328i * Wheels:18" VMR V801 Titanium Black Shadow * Springs: DINAN 1" Lowering Springs * Tune: BM3 OTS E30/93 OCT * Engine: Evolution Racewerks Catless DP/CP/FMIC * Intake: AWE S-Flo Carbon Fiber Intake * Exhaust: AWE Exhaust Suite + Mid Pipe * Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve * Plugs: NGK LI Plugs * Lights: Depo Angel Eyes W/ Morimoto HID's * Hood: Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      05-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #10
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
VRSF DP and VRSF Intercooler is good combo, probably what I will do when I eventually go stage 2 (enjoying stage one for the foreseeable future). I also have emissions testing every 2 years here in NJ, but I plan on going catless and just throwing the stock DP back in every 2 years. It's a PITA, but I think it's worth it to just go catless. However if you do really want HF catted, I've heard good things about Evolution Racewerks' (ER) high flow catted downpipe.

You shouldn't have any fitment issues with the VRSF intercooler on the base model bumper.

As a side note, let us know what you think of BM3 stage 1! I'd love to see your logs if you get a chance as well. I'm still trying to find other stage 1 logs to compare to mine.

I'll def let you know about BM3. I'm getting ready to flash it in about an hour. I'm def a newb when it comes to a lot of this stuff so I'm glad a have a forum like this to call out questions that I might need answered. On that note. When I datalog in BM3 I don't have to be hooked up to wifi correct? I just leave in my OB2 in and record the data while I drive? I assume you can do this offline?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #11
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_bri_328i View Post
I'll def let you know about BM3. I'm getting ready to flash it in about an hour. I'm def a newb when it comes to a lot of this stuff so I'm glad a have a forum like this to call out questions that I might need answered. On that note. When I datalog in BM3 I don't have to be hooked up to wifi correct? I just leave in my OB2 in and record the data while I drive? I assume you can do this offline?
Yep, that's what the forum's here for .

I'm honestly not sure about offline dataloging with BM3. BM3 is all web based, so it all goes more smoothly with an internet connection. You can flash offline by using the "download now, flash later" function, but I don't know if you can datalog without an internet connection. Whenever I datalog, I connect my laptop to the personal hotspot on my iPhone. So I'm pretty sure you need an internet connection to log, or at least I do. I'm still new to the BM3 platform as well, so I can't really give you a definite answer.
      05-17-2018, 11:34 AM   #12
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep, that's what the forum's here for .

I'm honestly not sure about offline dataloging with BM3. BM3 is all web based, so it all goes more smoothly with an internet connection. You can flash offline by using the "download now, flash later" function, but I don't know if you can datalog without an internet connection. Whenever I datalog, I connect my laptop to the personal hotspot on my iPhone. So I'm pretty sure you need an internet connection to log, or at least I do. I'm still new to the BM3 platform as well, so I can't really give you a definite answer.
Oh snap! I forgot about iPhone hotspot!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #13
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

You can log offline and when you come back online, it'll upload the log.

But back on the parts. For DP, you can definitely go VRSF. My only concern was the welds. I live in California AND I'm lowered on coilovers, so it's not uncommon for my exhaust to take a hit. Flexibility and strong welds are key, because I don't want the DP breaking (That's why it has that mesh BTW. Helps it flex when hit)

For FMIC... Just look up logs and reviews. I don't doubt the capability of the higher end VRSF FMICs, but their cheapest one is pretty questionable.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #14
madmortar
Captain
Rep

Sorry if i missed it but did you ever give a review of the upgrade?
Change from DINAN sport to BM3 stage 1 to BM3 stage 2
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #15
rcaso26
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

Hey I'm considering a catless or high flow catted downpipe on my N26. Does a catless DP have a strong smell on the N26? I'm thinking it wont be so bad since the N26 has the secondary cat in the midpipe, but I have no idea. I really dont feel like shelling out $1000 for a catted DP if it will fail emissions the same as a catless DP.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 11:25 AM   #16
s3ri3s1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: alpine white 328

I love my Dinan intercooler, but you have to do a lot of modifications to get it to fit
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 07:53 AM   #17
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaso26 View Post
Hey I'm considering a catless or high flow catted downpipe on my N26. Does a catless DP have a strong smell on the N26? I'm thinking it wont be so bad since the N26 has the secondary cat in the midpipe, but I have no idea. I really dont feel like shelling out $1000 for a catted DP if it will fail emissions the same as a catless DP.
Catted may fail emissions tests as it can intermittently throw a CEL. You are going from a 400 to a 200 cell and the sensors can tell a difference

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 06:37 AM   #18
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaso26 View Post
I have the ER catless DP and you're going to smell it. After a short amount of time you'll get use to it won't even notice it. If you wanna play you gotta pay. You know?
Appreciate 0