F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Liqui Moly Ceratec
proTUNING Freaks

01-12-2019, 09:13 AM   #23
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
By trade I am an engineer. I know how to conduct tests that are valid. As for how Ceratec works, it's not an oil additive per se. It doesn't alter the properties of the oil. What it alters is the properties of the parts in the engine that it bonds with. That's why you don't add it with every oil change. Once the pores and fissures in the parts are filled there's nothing to be gained by adding more Ceratec until it's been washed away, or more fissures have developed, which takes a few oil change intervals.
I'm not questioning the validity of the tests. I'm just saying I think you mixed up the lubricity test (with the bearing on the lubricity testing rig) and the rpm test (with the lawnmower) when you said that it will reduce wear on engine internals, when the guy in the video said outright that it was not able to do that very effectively or any better than other oil additives. As shown by the 3 bearings side by side.
      01-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #24
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

As I said his lubricity test was interesting, but that's all. He tested the short term effect of adding Ceratec, and while it did show some increase in lubricity, the way in which Ceratec works demands a far longer test period. I put a thousand miles on my car after adding Ceratec before comparing the results with it to before it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:19 AM   #25
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

I would imagine that bearing test had very high pressure, or was very different than what the bmw bearings see in some other way, to get that kind of wear in so little time.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #26
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
I would imagine that bearing test had very high pressure, or was very different than what the bmw bearings see in some other way, to get that kind of wear in so little time.

Murf
Agree. Its kind of like pouring water into a glass. At some point the glass is full any anymore added water does not add to the glass.

Recommended oils are a full glass in normally operated engines the oil is spec'd for. Anything added over the top does not materially add to engine life.

If BMW was loosing rod bearings in 335 engines at 105K miles in any number there would already be a class action law suit against the company. Think about Fuel Pumps & other items that got extended warranties from BMW due to excessive failures.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301997.00
      01-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #27
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Recommended oils are a full glass in normally operated engines the oil is spec'd for. Anything added over the top does not materially add to engine life.
True, as far as oils are concerned. The goal is reduced friction. Oil does it one way, nano particles another way. Look at it like a frying pan. Which works better to prevent food from sticking, oil in a cast iron pan or using a teflon coated pan? Both methods have their advantages. What works best is using oil in a teflon pan.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #28
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

I just put a bottle of this in the engine yesterday with some new Leichtlauf. I just hit 100,000 km so figured why not.
I did forget to shake the bottle vigorously before pouring it in though, and of course realized this as the bottle was nearly empty... looks like this step is pretty key but we'll see.

I'll report back with any findings. I don't expect much but I am all about preserving the life of the motor so if it helps then great and if not I've wasted $30 on worse things.
Appreciate 1
akgambino271.50
      01-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #29
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dope steez View Post
I just put a bottle of this in the engine yesterday with some new Leichtlauf. I just hit 100,000 km so figured why not.
I did forget to shake the bottle vigorously before pouring it in though, and of course realized this as the bottle was nearly empty... looks like this step is pretty key but we'll see.

I'll report back with any findings. I don't expect much but I am all about preserving the life of the motor so if it helps then great and if not I've wasted $30 on worse things.
Lol!! I did the exact same thing yesterday in my wife's x3 m54! I read the directions on the box which said nothing about shaking the bottle and then poured it into funnel into motor and by time I thought it looked sort of odd it was too late! Read the directions on the bottle and of course it says to shake on there fml

Hope it doesn't cause any issues
      01-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #30
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dope steez View Post

Lol!! I did the exact same thing yesterday in my wife's x3 m54! I read the directions on the box which said nothing about shaking the bottle and then poured it into funnel into motor and by time I thought it looked sort of odd it was too late! Read the directions on the bottle and of course it says to shake on there fml

Hope it doesn't cause any issues
Haha - I imagine it's fine or else they would make the instructions more obvious. Who knows I doubt I'd notice anything anyways
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 07:17 PM   #31
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
In the late '80's my dad bought into a company called Pro-Tec. They claimed their teflon additive would help reduce friction in an engine, even had the same type of machine in that video. It seemed to work, I had it in my cars and even talked my employer into buying a 55 gallon drum of the grease and using it in the factory equipment. We had some machines that should have made a huge difference in the electrical load to operate. It did reduce the load some, but not enough to pay for itself.
I know nothing about this Ceretec but it seems to be similar - if you are looking for that nth degree of performance and cost is no object, go for it. I don't believe it will hurt anything.
      07-07-2020, 11:21 AM   #32
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
By trade I am an engineer. I know how to conduct tests that are valid. As for how Ceratec works, it's not an oil additive per se. It doesn't alter the properties of the oil. What it alters is the properties of the parts in the engine that it bonds with. That's why you don't add it with every oil change. Once the pores and fissures in the parts are filled there's nothing to be gained by adding more Ceratec until it's been washed away, or more fissures have developed, which takes a few oil change intervals.
Good for use with BMW Diesel engines?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 11:52 AM   #33
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

From the Liqui Moly site: High-tech ceramic wear protection. Reduces friction and wear through ceramic compounds offering high chemical and thermal resistance. Prevents direct metal-to-metal contact, thus increasing the assembly service life. Reduces fuel consumption in gasoline and diesel engines thanks to the low-friction effect.

Google is your friend.
Appreciate 0