F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > M Performance LSD (requesting recommendations)
GetBMWParts

03-30-2018, 11:58 AM   #45
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
I kind of thought that could be the case and makes sense, because abs is electronically controlled. So I can see that, but still weird that a bbk requires coding but upgraded rotors/pads that may make your car stop just as fast, don't. I still think there is some fluff to that requirement, maybe safety regulations or something that they have to meet as an OEM provider for aftermarket upgrades. But did the brakes actually feel any different before and after coding (if you tried it)?

the thing about our diff is nothing's electronically controlled. with an aftermarket diff you won't have any electronics either. but maybe someone that knows more than us will stumble on the thread and explain.
No, i didnt drive before and after programming as it was all dealer installed so then the BMW parts assume the full remaining warranty of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #46
Aberle
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i Limited Edition MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ToAgree View Post
Maybe the 335i was different but the 340i for sure requires coding.
I pulled the trigger on the LSD and had it installed this week. So far very happy with the results. Car feels all around smoother and handles nicely even in simple every day driving.

Out of all the benefits or characteristics I read regarding an LSD, something I had not expected was a difference in the way the engine sounds on accelerations. More "angry": when before it was more of a loud "hum", now it's like every piston stroke can be heard more deliberately. At first I thought it was just me, but my girlfriend noticed it too when I took her for a ride. The only thing I can think of is simply that the difference in the feeling of grip changed the way in which I am applying throttle. (Of course this is just a function of how I react to it, as opposed to a feature of it in itself)

Had a word with the head engineer over at the BMW dealership regarding coding:

He said that no coding was necessary during installation as this was a mechanical adjustment to the car that did not concern the electronics.

I did not want to press him on the issue, after all, he's the expert and I'm not.

Left me wondering though, given what I've read in this thread.

Last edited by Aberle; 01-12-2019 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #47
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberle View Post
I pulled the trigger on the LSD and had it installed this week. So far very happy with the results. Car feels all around smoother and handles nicely even in simple every day driving.

Out of all the benefits or characteristics I read regarding an LSD, something I had not expected was a difference in the way the engine sounds on accelerations. More "angry": when before it was more of a loud "hum", now it's like every piston stroke can be heard more deliberately. At first I thought it was just me, but my girlfriend noticed it too when I took her for a ride. The only thing I can think of is simply that the difference in the feeling of grip changed the way in which I am applying throttle. (Of course this is just a function of how I react to it, as opposed to a feature of it in itself)

Had a word with the head engineer over at the BMW dealership regarding coding:

He said that no coding was necessary during installation as this was a mechanical adjustment to the car that did not concern the electronics.

I did not want to press him on the issue, after all, he's the expert and I'm not.

Left me wondering though, given what I've read in this thread.
Interesting, never thought of that...
I recently drove a 340i ZHP with the LSD standard, the first thing I noticed was significant harder pull from stop to 30 MPH and the better acceleration coming out of corners where my 335i MPPK standard axle breaks loose way too easy or starts to lose grip on any imperfect surface. I was debating putting a LSD on mine or just taking the plunge on a new ZHP. That being said, I could hear the sound being deeper after your install, because the traction would be much better, thus not activate the traction control (instant de-tune to keep from spinning wheels). Which LSD unit did you get? who did you buy from?

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #48
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

Been itching about one myself. If it doesn't require coding then installing it is a cake on my end.
      01-18-2019, 11:20 PM   #49
Aberle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
Interesting, never thought of that...
I recently drove a 340i ZHP with the LSD standard, the first thing I noticed was significant harder pull from stop to 30 MPH and the better acceleration coming out of corners where my 335i MPPK standard axle breaks loose way too easy or starts to lose grip on any imperfect surface. I was debating putting a LSD on mine or just taking the plunge on a new ZHP. That being said, I could hear the sound being deeper after your install, because the traction would be much better, thus not activate the traction control (instant de-tune to keep from spinning wheels). Which LSD unit did you get? who did you buy from?
Very interesting!

I got the M Performance LSD, part number: 33108659989

I bought it from Theis Motorsport. Bought the MPPSK from them as well as a couple of other items (pedals/rear diffuser), very good service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
Been itching about one myself. If it doesn't require coding then installing it is a cake on my end.
You'd install it yourself? If so, would you consider making a video of the process?
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #50
jandeman58
Registered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i M Performance

Hello, I have installed the OS Giken LSD from Japan at Hardeman Motorsport in the Netherlands. It's the best upgrade on my 2016 440I with MPPSK. They also replaced adaptive m-sport suspension with the Öhlins Road & Track kit and i love the combination. Best mods for my car sofar. Understeer has gone, only when you do engine braking, then the LSD is adjusted to limit to about 40 % and you get safe understeer. Going on throtle midcorner creates a good controllable oversteer.
And indeed there is no need for software adjustments. Due to the LSD the need for corrections by the ESP is less.
Appreciate 1
Aberle74.00
      01-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #51
B58
Major
Rep

Quote:

You'd install it yourself? If so, would you consider making a video of the process?

If i get one i will
Aberle74.00
      01-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #52
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

so with the new unit going in - are people selling their "old" diffs to offset the cost of the new one? If yes, what it the market value?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #53
Aberle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandeman58 View Post
Hello, I have installed the OS Giken LSD from Japan at Hardeman Motorsport in the Netherlands. It's the best upgrade on my 2016 440I with MPPSK. They also replaced adaptive m-sport suspension with the Öhlins Road & Track kit and i love the combination. Best mods for my car sofar. Understeer has gone, only when you do engine braking, then the LSD is adjusted to limit to about 40 % and you get safe understeer. Going on throtle midcorner creates a good controllable oversteer.
And indeed there is no need for software adjustments. Due to the LSD the need for corrections by the ESP is less.
That's a very interesting build you've got there. I was checking out the features on that OS Giken LSD and it looks amazing!

Thank you for confirming that bit regarding (no) coding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
If i get one i will
Awesome! I'll be checking your thread for updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
so with the new unit going in - are people selling their "old" diffs to offset the cost of the new one? If yes, what it the market value?
Ideally yes, but according to the dealership I am one of only two owners of a 340i in my country thus far. When picking out the LSD online, I ordered one that "seemed" to match, but was quickly told by the store that I required a part number specific to my 340i, so I have no one to sell it to. This might change with time as I heard they might be bringing in some this year. So just as is the case of the stock exhaust when I had the MPPSK installed, the "old" diff is sitting in a closet awaiting the prospect of becoming a decorative item.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 04:50 PM   #54
dab_of_oppo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

Garage List
2018 340i  [0.00]
anybody know what % of lock the MPerf. LSD on accel and decel?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 04:56 PM   #55
Aberle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab_of_oppo View Post
anybody know what % of lock the MPerf. LSD on accel and decel?
30% lockup on acceleration and 9% lockup on deceleration.-
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #56
dab_of_oppo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
30% lockup on acceleration and 9% lockup on deceleration.-
Yikes that doesn't seem like a lot. I'm trying for the same 'feel' as my e92 M3 (diff-wise) but that was 100% lock I believe. Basically want guaranteed 2-wheel wheelspin on accel, as this open diff is killing me.
Appreciate 1
Aberle74.00
      01-30-2019, 05:07 PM   #57
B58
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yikes that doesn't seem like a lot. I'm trying for the same 'feel' as my e92 M3 (diff-wise) but that was 100% lock I believe. Basically want guaranteed 2-wheel wheelspin on accel, as this open diff is killing me.
Same here man this open diff is killing me as well
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #58
jandeman58
Registered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i M Performance

Quote:
The OS Giken is a visco type lsd like the MPerf lsd. But it has a lot more discs in it so it is much more robust and needs less to no maintenance. Before install the the technician can adjust the % for accellaration and decelleration
Appreciate 1
David0ff1055.00
      02-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #59
dab_of_oppo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandeman58 View Post
The OS Giken is a visco type lsd like the MPerf lsd. But it has a lot more discs in it so it is much more robust and needs less to no maintenance. Before install the the technician can adjust the % for accellaration and decelleration
sounds like a great mod for when the warranty is up!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #60
Tim182
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F33 440i Vert (LCI) MPPSK

When I last checked I was quoted £2.3k for the BMW differential. Have prices come down since? What’s the best price at the moment (UK)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 08:17 PM   #61
BrianML
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 318is, 328i, 340i

Quote:
Unless your diff was welded, it wasn’t 100% locked. That’s why its called a Limited Slip, not a locker.

https://diffsonline.com/bmw-differen...formation.html
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 06:26 AM   #62
przt
Rep
Drives: 340xi MT

There's a bunch of F80 eLSD available Is it impossible to make it work in F30?
I expect nothing to be in common in the rear with F30, but maybe someone has done some research.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 11:31 AM   #63
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by przt View Post
I expect nothing to be in common in the rear with F30, but maybe someone has done some research.
Last time i checked the subframes are different so the physical housing doesn't bolt up to our cars.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 01:55 PM   #64
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by przt View Post
From what I know, you'd have to transplant the entire rear subframe. This is doable, same chassis mounting points.

Using the M subframe and arms will give an increased track no doubt. Might need to compensate with wheel offsets.

Next step is a custom propshaft. Not as easy as you think, the splines are different on the M diff, even though the connection method is similar to that used on x35i cars. Carbon m prop but length changed to suit, or perhaps easier is the layer steel m prop.

Finally, you need to figure out how the diff is controlled and mimic that to make it work.

All in all it seems a major project to give gains that you can achieve by fitting a mechanical LS diff.
Appreciate 1
przt0.00
      05-29-2019, 04:02 PM   #65
BuffaloSoldierH
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i 6MT

Quote:
After getting the M brakes and MPPSK, I've been very happy with the changes and results. Considering getting the LSD in July but have found relatively little in the threads that deal with this.

While taking my 340i (RWD) out into the open roads I have felt a slight bit of understeer, certainly not a deal breaker by any means but I figure it could be improved.

Where I live we have rainy season for 6 months out of the year, so the notion of greater grip under wet conditions certainly seduces.

Road network is in poor condition and asphalt is old. The car slips on occasion during regular driving due to this.

I've read contradicting statements regarding grip. On the one hand, improved grip, on the other, that after installing the LSD some user reported the DSC light turning on more frequently?

Just trying to learn as much as possible before making a decision. Thanks gents.-
I have been referred to Quaife before as a solution for this. I recall their quote being around $2500. British company but can service out of the US
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 09:30 PM   #66
Camptown
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i Xdrive

340 xDrive and LSD?

Has anyone done the M Performance LSD on a 340 xDrive with a manual transmission?
I ordered the correct part number per the BMW site and confirmed it with the Parts manager before I ordered the part. Now it appears the part that was received does not fit my car. The car has been at the dealer for a week now, waiting for BMW Corp to get involved on what actually fits my car. The dealership believes the part that was in the box was miss-labeled and is for an automatic transmission car.

So i am curious if anyone has done this LSD on an x-drive manual 340. Thanks
Appreciate 0