F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Underwhelmed to crushingly disappointed
Studio RSR

02-20-2019, 10:14 PM   #67
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
Right with you. I didn't want to spend all that money on a new Corvette, so I ended up spending MORE on this BMW (65k) and boy am I sorry that I did. I should have listened to myself when I said"once you drive a Corvette, you'll never want to drive anything else". Of course one cannot compare Corvette to BMW, they are different type cars, but when I spend that much money on a car I expect it to be a quality car. I have only 13,000 miles on my 2017 440i convertible and the tires are gone, the glass is cheap quality, the paint job is not great and the electronics in the car are inconsistent.
BMW makes tires now?
Appreciate 1
tex26702411.00
      02-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #68
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pick View Post
Stepped out of a 2016 Mustang GT and into a brand new 2018 440i GC, and the experience has been a little underwhelming; really miss the V8 and a touch screen (BMW’s CarPlay integration is terrible). Still, four doors makes a rear facing car seat possible in an otherwise good looking car.

The battery had to be replaced during the first week of ownership. Then today it had some electrical malfunction; everything dead except the interior blower and alarm are “stuck” on. I was going to discount the battery to shut the alarm up, however when I accessed the battery compartment I could see it sparking so I closed the trunk and called BMW roadside assist; they damaged the front bumper loading it onto the tow truck and lost the tow hook cover 😡.

What kind of a problem would cause this? Too early to lemon law it (I’m in CA)?
The '18 4-Series doesn't have a touch screen? All the 3-Series loaners I have driven the past 2 years had them.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 07:18 AM   #69
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
If it bothers you don't read it.
Perhaps you are reading the updated screen name, instead of the original racist one?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:00 AM   #70
Stopsign32v
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Perhaps you are reading the updated screen name, instead of the original racist one?
A username "Spick" isn't racist IMO. If someone had "CrackerJack" would that also be racist? Or "BlackBimmer"? Its amazing some people don't bleed out from a paper cut.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:25 AM   #71
TF3090
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i M Sport

Quote:
Come on, don't be ignorant.

$1000 on a BMW doesn't pick up WAY more power than $1000 on any NA V8. $1000 on a forced induction motor picks up WAY more power than $1000 on a naturally aspirated motor. Try your logic with $1000 on a new GT500.
Pardon my lazy typing; NA = Naturally Aspirated. We are agreeing on the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:28 AM   #72
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
when did the SJWs make it to the bmw forums?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:32 AM   #73
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:16 AM   #74
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Returning the original topic why tires lasted only 13K miles.

OP, please share more details. Was wheel alignment off?

Most 19" OEM run flat tires (Bridgestone, Pirelli) will last at least 20K miles with likely replacement between 21K and 25K miles.
1. Do not believe alignment is off at all. Will verify for sure when I put new tires (not run flats) on
2. Have driven car just like I have driven the 10-15 I've owned before this. In comfort mode about 90% of time.
3. OEM tires are Pirelli 19" RFT.
4. Have checked tire pressure AT LEAST once a week (with both tire gauge and verified via Idrive) to be 36psi front, 41psi rear (cold) per the users manual & the placard on door.
5. Do not understand why tires are in the shape they are in.
6. Have gotten 30k-35k out of RFT's on previous car (2004 C5 Corvette) on OEM tires and 4 replacement sets. C5 had 150k mi when I got rid of it (big mistake letting it go).
Isn't the tire pressure on the driver side placard 33 PSI front and 38 PSI rear?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Most 19" OEM run flat tires (Bridgestone, Pirelli) will last at least 20K miles with likely replacement between 21K and 25K miles.
1. Do not believe alignment is off at all. Will verify for sure when I put new tires (not run flats) on
2. Have driven car just like I have driven the 10-15 I've owned before this. In comfort mode about 90% of time.
4. Have checked tire pressure AT LEAST once a week (with both tire gauge and verified via Idrive) to be 36psi front, 41psi rear (cold) per the users manual & the placard on door.
6. Have gotten 30k-35k out of RFT's on previous car (2004 C5 Corvette) on OEM tires and 4 replacement sets. C5 had 150k mi when I got rid of it (big mistake letting it go).
Isn't the tire pressure on the driver side placard 33 PSI front and 38 PSI rear?
No! On my 2017 440i convertible both the users manual and the placard on door jamb say 36 front/41 rear.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:24 AM   #75
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonchicken View Post
Quote:
Right with you. I didn't want to spend all that money on a new Corvette, so I ended up spending MORE on this BMW (65k) and boy am I sorry that I did. I should have listened to myself when I said"once you drive a Corvette, you'll never want to drive anything else". Of course one cannot compare Corvette to BMW, they are different type cars, but when I spend that much money on a car I expect it to be a quality car. I have only 13,000 miles on my 2017 440i convertible and the tires are gone, the glass is cheap quality, the paint job is not great and the electronics in the car are inconsistent.
BMW makes tires now?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonchicken View Post
Quote:
BMW makes tires now?
No, BMW does not make tires, they just put crap tires on their very expensive cars. If BMW wants to take credit for all of the positive things of their cars then they have to take credit for the negative things also, such as poor tires they put on cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #76
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No! On my 2017 440i convertible both the users manual and the placard on door jamb say 36 front/41 rear.
Thanks for sharing. Must be due to extra weight.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #77
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
amen
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 11:47 AM   #78
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
You would need to jump ship to MB. In some (all?) of their AMG variants they use an electric supercharger for that hole shot, and then two different turbo stages for low and high end power.

It would be fun as heck to drive, and a ride to dump when the warranty is done.

BMW would benefit from a higher idle in their sport mode. It's what Audi does, and that really kills off the turbo lag off the line... by I digress....
I HATE that 200rpm increase for idle in S trans mode in my 2018 S4.
It creates an unnecessary and VERY annoying vibration through the steering wheel and console area.

It does NOT add any performance increase. The same thing, if not better, can easily be achieved with a quicker tip-in on the digital throttle.
There is no increase in boost from the turbo simply from 200rpm.

Also, the light extra RPM requires a heavier foot on the brake when stopped.

The whole rpm increase in S mode is a gimmick, as it's nothing more than artificial candy for those who think that an "S" or "Sport" mode all of a sudden means their car became a Super Car.

I can't wait to get back into a BMW.
This S4 is the first new car where I am seriously considering taking a loss on.
The drive train is a full generation behind BMW in terms of cohesiveness and solidity.
There is also excessive drive line lash from the start and in between shifts, and on full throttle downshifts at speed.
All around it's a sloppy drive train.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:01 PM   #79
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Come on, don't be ignorant.

$1000 on a BMW doesn't pick up WAY more power than $1000 on any NA V8. $1000 on a forced induction motor picks up WAY more power than $1000 on a naturally aspirated motor. Try your logic with $1000 on a new GT500.
He's talking about the mod-ability of an FI engine. A tune alone gains more than bolt-ons for a NA for less money and generally, it's much easier to gain for less on an FI. Practically speaking if we separate our emotional attachment to the NA sound and V8s of the past, the FI is just newer, more efficient, technology making the NA obsolete by comparison. Turbo lag is all but a thing of the past, they are getting smoother and smoother. It's sins are easily forgiven by the power band and torque delivery with relatively less displacement. So while I miss my 4.2 V8 in my old S4, I can't help but marvel at my 3.0 Twin Turbo delivering more driving pleasure per Liter with better fuel economy and superior performance.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #80
Stopsign32v
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
He's talking about the mod-ability of an FI engine. A tune alone gains more than bolt-ons for a NA for less money and generally, it's much easier to gain for less on an FI. Practically speaking if we separate our emotional attachment to the NA sound and V8s of the past, the FI is just newer, more efficient, technology making the NA obsolete by comparison. Turbo lag is all but a thing of the past, they are getting smoother and smoother. It's sins are easily forgiven by the power band and torque delivery with relatively less displacement. So while I miss my 4.2 V8 in my old S4, I can't help but marvel at my 3.0 Twin Turbo delivering more driving pleasure per Liter with better fuel economy and superior performance.
I know

I'm pointing out it has nothing to do with BMW vs the world as he painted it. It is FI vs NA which has been a thing since 1924.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #81
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I'm on my 6th BMW in as many years. How can you burn through tires in 17k? Are you overdriving the tires? Are they run flats? Are you tracking?

I've had 1 glass chip in the past 5 years. The glass isn't made by BMW, it's made by Pilkington who supplies OE glass to Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Ford, VW and GM among others. What's cheap about your glass compared to other major brands?

What kind of paint job are you looking for? There are different grades of paint jobs on different BMWs.

Not sure what you mean by the electronics being inconsistent. I haven't had any issues.
My original rear 245 Pilot Supersports were toast at 16k. I though that was pretty good. How long do you think a 300 tread wear rated ultra high performance summer tire that can't be rotated should last?
      02-22-2019, 08:16 PM   #82
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I HATE that 200rpm increase for idle in S trans mode in my 2018 S4.
It creates an unnecessary and VERY annoying vibration through the steering wheel and console area.

It does NOT add any performance increase. The same thing, if not better, can easily be achieved with a quicker tip-in on the digital throttle.
There is no increase in boost from the turbo simply from 200rpm.

Also, the light extra RPM requires a heavier foot on the brake when stopped.

The whole rpm increase in S mode is a gimmick, as it's nothing more than artificial candy for those who think that an "S" or "Sport" mode all of a sudden means their car became a Super Car.

I can't wait to get back into a BMW.
This S4 is the first new car where I am seriously considering taking a loss on.
The drive train is a full generation behind BMW in terms of cohesiveness and solidity.
There is also excessive drive line lash from the start and in between shifts, and on full throttle downshifts at speed.
All around it's a sloppy drive train.
Launch on my SQ5 in "S" mode is a lot more aggressive than my 340, so I'd have to say I don't agree with what you are saying.

BMW, Audi, MB use the same ZF 8AT transmission. Different TCU tuning, but hard to say it's sloppy when all other companies (including BMW) use the same transmission.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 08:20 PM   #83
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobiggens View Post
Why jump ship? I bought the BMW for the class factor - it has that. I have the Lightning for the street bruiser factor and my '66 Galaxie convertible for the 'ol car cool factor. I like all kinds of cars. I don't expect any one car to scratch all my itches..
I agree 100%, just saying if you were looking for a "unicorn" you'd have to change. I know what you are saying though.. I put a supercharger on my '00 5.3L Silverado and it was amazing. Lightning is 10x the fun with tighter gear ratios down low though. I always loved how Ford launched a pickup that out performed their mustang.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 08:59 PM   #84
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I agree 100%, just saying if you were looking for a "unicorn" you'd have to change. I know what you are saying though.. I put a supercharger on my '00 5.3L Silverado and it was amazing. Lightning is 10x the fun with tighter gear ratios down low though. I always loved how Ford launched a pickup that out performed their mustang.
Looking for another vehicle I tried Ford first. I saw NOTHING I liked. Certainly not their overpriced trucks. As far as I'm concerned, my generation of Lightning is still the pinnacle of Ford trucks.
I looked at Ford, Chevy, Dodge, even briefly glanced at some imports...and I kept coming back to this F30. I like what it is and it does what it does very well.