F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F32 buzzing/cricket sound at low RPMs
Studio RSR

02-19-2019, 08:02 PM   #1
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428 F32

Apologies if this post isn't in the right spot - I'm still new to this forum and this is my first post

I'm hearing a weird buzzing/cricket sound at very low RPMs in my 2015 F32. It happens mostly while accelerating but it's also sometimes there while maintaining a constant speed (mainly between 0-30 MPH)

My best description of the sound is that it's similar to an older computer when it's working very hard...not the fan noise of a computer, but that weird buzzing/loading sound

Has anybody else experienced this?

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiolli View Post
Apologies if this post isn't in the right spot - I'm still new to this forum and this is my first post

I'm hearing a weird buzzing/cricket sound at very low RPMs in my 2015 F32. It happens mostly while accelerating but it's also somethings there while maintaining a constant speed (mainly between 0-30 MPH

My best description of the sound is that it's similar to an older computer when it's working very hard...not the fan noise of a computer, but that weird buzzing/loading sound

Could it be this?

A permanent Fix for the 335i/435i 2500 RPM Rattle/Buzzing/Whirring Noise? https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=949816
      02-19-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Where is the sound originating from? Inside the car (plastic trim is typically the culprit) or somewhere in the engine bay?
Appreciate 1
Yiolli25.50
      02-19-2019, 09:45 PM   #4
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Where is the sound originating from? Inside the car (plastic trim is typically the culprit) or somewhere in the engine bay?
Definitely somewhere in the engine bay/inside dash. Doesn't seem to be within the cabin. And definitely seems to be connected with the accelerator (I can tap the accelerator and then release and the sound is clearly correlated)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:46 PM   #5
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa1 View Post
Quote:

I'm hearing a weird buzzing/cricket sound at very low RPMs in my 2015 F32. It happens mostly while accelerating but it's also somethings there while maintaining a constant speed (mainly between 0-30 MPH

Could it be this?

A permanent Fix for the 335i/435i 2500 RPM Rattle/Buzzing/Whirring Noise? https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=949816
Mine is a 428. Seems like this post applies to 435?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:23 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Definitely somewhere in the engine bay/inside dash. Doesn't seem to be within the cabin. And definitely seems to be connected with the accelerator (I can tap the accelerator and then release and the sound is clearly correlated)
Got it. Could you record the sound and post the video on YouTube (provide a link)? Other forum members were able to get good advice after posting a video clip with sound in question.
Appreciate 1
Yiolli25.50
      02-19-2019, 10:34 PM   #7
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:
Got it. Could you record the sound and post the video on YouTube (provide a link)? Other forum members were able to get good advice after posting a video clip with sound in question.

Here's a short clip of me reving the engine. At times its very subtle but turn sound up and listen closely - most noticeable around 28 seconds into the video
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #8
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

I can hear it at 28 seconds. Is that when the car is at a standstill?
I have a similar noise that's constant when moving sounding like it's coming from the passenger side but its very faint. Sort of chirpy high frequency whine noise.

I remember when I was looking for a rattle noise when the car is stopped and in drive. I took the engine cover off and there was a metallic rattle noise coming from the metal pipes at the top of the engine. But there wasn't anything loose. Haven't been able to diagnose it yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #9
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkey8 View Post
I can hear it at 28 seconds. Is that when the car is at a standstill?
I have a similar noise that's constant when moving sounding like it's coming from the passenger side but its very faint. Sort of chirpy high frequency whine noise.

I remember when I was looking for a rattle noise when the car is stopped and in drive. I took the engine cover off and there was a metallic rattle noise coming from the metal pipes at the top of the engine. But there wasn't anything loose. Haven't been able to diagnose it yet.
That video shows the car at standstill but it also occurs when driving at low speeds. It comes and goes as it pleases.

I can't seem to replicate it for the dealer and they "can't do anything" with a video. I'm at a loss for how to treat it
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #10
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That video shows the car at standstill but it also occurs when driving at low speeds. It comes and goes as it pleases.

I can't seem to replicate it for the dealer and they "can't do anything" with a video. I'm at a loss for how to treat it
Mine is only there when the car is moving can can only hear it at low speed. Higher speeds, I can't hear it because of the tyre, road noise.
First I thought it was the brakes rubbing slightly or the wheel bearing.
But been driving it for a while and it's not got any worse.

First I think you need to find out where the source of the noise is coming from. Get someone to rev the car and see if you can locate where the noise is coming from.
Your noise is affected when you rev the engine so sounds like something is loose. Check the engine bay area to see if anything loose.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 05:59 PM   #11
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Mine is only there when the car is moving can can only hear it at low speed. Higher speeds, I can't hear it because of the tyre, road noise.
First I thought it was the brakes rubbing slightly or the wheel bearing.
But been driving it for a while and it's not got any worse.

First I think you need to find out where the source of the noise is coming from. Get someone to rev the car and see if you can locate where the noise is coming from.
Yes - it's good that you know the source. I had someone rev the engine while I listened from the hood, couldn't hear anything. Will continue to update the thread once the sound wakes up again. Let me know if you have any luck as well !
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #12
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes - it's good that you know the source. I had someone rev the engine while I listened from the hood, couldn't hear anything. Will continue to update the thread once the sound wakes up again. Let me know if you have any luck as well !
Your noise reminds me when I took the engine cover off the car with the engine running, there were some metal pipes on top of the engine.
There was a noise similar to yours coming from the pipes when the engine is just idling. It was quite loud. The engine cover has a thick foam to dampen this area.
Might be worth taking the cover off to and checking from this area
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 06:15 PM   #13
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Your noise reminds me when I took the engine cover off the car with the engine running, there were some metal pipes on top of the engine.
There was a noise similar to yours coming from the pipes when the engine is just idling. It was quite loud. The engine cover has a thick foam to dampen this area.
Might be worth taking the cover off to and checking from this area
Ok thanks for the tip , I will check as soon as I get the car back. They're currently replacing the rear differential due to it being abnormally loud around 60 mph.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 06:22 PM   #14
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok thanks for the tip , I will check as soon as I get the car back. They're currently replacing the rear differential due to it being abnormally loud around 60 mph.
It was a metallic rattly noise on idle, I check the pipes but nothing was loose so I just put the cover back on. I was just surprised by the type of noise and how loud it was. You usually hear ticking noises from the engine. But I've not heard that kind of noise before.

My previous car has a high speed vibration/drone issue. Tried everything, replacing drive shaft, diff. Never solved it. Sold the car in the end.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 06:27 PM   #15
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It was a metallic rattly noise on idle, I check the pipes but nothing was loose so I just put the cover back on. I was just surprised by the type of noise and how loud it was. You usually hear ticking noises from the engine. But I've not heard that kind of noise before.

My previous car has a high speed vibration/drone issue. Tried everything, replacing drive shaft, diff. Never solved it. Sold the car in the end.
Very sad when you love a car aside from little noises like that which drive you crazy!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 06:33 PM   #16
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Very sad when you love a car aside from little noises like that which drive you crazy!
Have had a few problems with the BMW F32's. My current one is better but still has some niggling issues.
Sometimes I find myself asking why I bought another BMW...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #17
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Have had a few problems with the BMW F32's. My current one is better but still has some niggling issues.
This is my first one! Well, bought a CPO F32 in Pristine condition but unfortunately it was totaled 2 months later. Just bought my current one and all sorts of rattles and noises with only 4 months left on the warranty. Hoping to resolve all by May.

Rattles or no rattles, they're a delight to drive!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 02:45 AM   #18
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This is my first one! Well, bought a CPO F32 in Pristine condition but unfortunately it was totaled 2 months later. Just bought my current one and all sorts of rattles and noises with only 4 months left on the warranty. Hoping to resolve all by May.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Same here, if it wasn't for the way they drive. I would have bought something else.

The pipes I was talking about are for the director injectors on top of the engine.

Is this similar to yours?

Last edited by kingmonkey8; 02-25-2019 at 04:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 07:59 PM   #19
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Same here, if it wasn't for the way they drive. I would have bought something else.

The pipes I was talking about are for the director injectors on top of the engine.

Is this similar to yours?

When your car is in idle and you had the camera inside the car that's the exact same noise I get, except I don't hear it while idling, only when Driving or reving the engine.

You're saying this is related to the fuel quality? Is there any fix ?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 04:10 AM   #20
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
When your car is in idle and you had the camera inside the car that's the exact same noise I get, except I don't hear it while idling, only when Driving or reving the engine.

Lol, this isn't my car. It's something I found on YT.
It seems that cars with direct fuel injection have this inherent problem across manufacturers. If you google 'high pressure fuel pump noise' then you will find videos with the same noise.
The noise is the same as yours so I would guess it's something related to the high pressure fuel pump or fuel lines.
Being affected by revs also makes sense as the fuel pump works when you rev the engine.

The video say's his problem is affected by the fuel. So you could try a different octane fuel to see if that makes any difference. Or you could maybe try replacing the high pressure fuel pump.
Appreciate 1
Yiolli25.50
      03-07-2019, 07:19 AM   #21
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Lol, this isn't my car. It's something I found on YT.
It seems that cars with direct fuel injection have this inherent problem across manufacturers. If you google 'high pressure fuel pump noise' then you will find videos with the same noise.
The noise is the same as yours so I would guess it's something related to the high pressure fuel pump or fuel lines.
Being affected by revs also makes sense as the fuel pump works when you rev the engine.

The video say's his problem is affected by the fuel. So you could try a different octane fuel to see if that makes any difference. Or you could maybe try replacing the high pressure fuel pump.
You're a legend! I think this is it. There's also a ticking noise the engine makes in idle that I'm seeing from those fuel pump videos and mine does the same thing. That's gotta be it
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 10:43 AM   #22
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

I think the ticking noise is from the waste gate. Even though its loud. I believe its normal for turbo cars so wouldn't worry about that.
Appreciate 0