F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > My Experience with Park Ave BMW
proTUNING Freaks

08-06-2018, 07:22 AM   #1
rayxi
researcher
Rep
Drives: '15 328i xDrive

Sorry, this is going to be a long post because of how irate I am after my experience.

TL;DR - bad experience at Park Ave BMW, think twice before going there.

I was in the market for a 328i xDrive with M Sport Package. I came across an Alpine White 2015 328i xDrive with M Sport Package with 15,600 miles online that was available at Park Ave BMW. I called the pre-owned division to schedule a test drive since I live in Brooklyn, NY (takes 1.5 hours to get there in usual traffic). After scheduling the test drive, a sales rep, Frank Ruvo, calls me to ask if I have any questions about the vehicle. I didn't have any specific questions about the vehicle because most of the information that I was concerned with was reflected on the CarFax report. I did ask how long the entire test drive would take since I was coming from Brooklyn and had plans in the city later that evening. He assured me that it would only take 40 mins and that the vehicle would be ready for me at 1pm.

Lo and behold, I arrive for my test drive promptly at 1pm and "the vehicle had to be retrieved from another facility". In hindsight, I now realized that the vehicle was being prepped for the test drive because it has a stale cigarette smoke smell from the previous owner. When I am finally able to see the vehicle, it was 1:30pm. The AC in the vehicle was on max and the car smelled fresh from some spray (I wrongfully thought that they actually spent the time to clean the interior of the vehicle). At this point, I think nothing of it. I continue on with the test drive and the vehicle runs beautifully and is the ultimate driving machine that I've always wanted.

After the test drive, I do a walk around the car and noticed that wheels all had really bad curb rash and there was a big gaping crater of a paint "chip" in the rear bumper. I told the sales rep that if they would repair the wheels and the bumper, that I would purchase the vehicle. After a few cycles of back and forth, they conceded and we continued with the purchase.

Prior to signing any paper work, I remembered that should ask if the vehicle cane with two proper keys. He assured me that it did. However, on the day of the delivery, I get a call from the sales rep that the vehicle in fact didn't have a second key and that he would buy me one out of his own pocket. As kind of a gesture that is, I could not leave it at his word. I asked the delivery manager for paperwork assuring me that I would receive the second key free of charge.

I take delivery of my "new to me" BMW and enjoy the drive home. Immediately as my wife opens the door, she said the vehicle has a bad cigarette smell. I hadn't smelled it because I sort of lost my sense of smell from being exposed to harsh chemicals in a previous job. At this point, I am feverishly researching how to get rid of cigarette smells from vehicles because it was basically my fault that this happened.

In the meantime, I am waiting for my registration papers and license plates and confirmation of the second key. In NJ, the temporary plates are only valid for 20 days. Within the last 7 days, I get nervous and reach out the sales rep on the status. He told me that the registration paperwork and license plates have arrived and that he couldn't order the second key until he received the registration paperwork. This made no sense to me but I was fine since I knew it was on it's way.

The sales rep said that he overnighted the license plates to me and provide a FedEx tracking number. I stayed home that day to receive the package because Park Ave BMW shipped it out requiring a signature upon delivery. I waited all day and no package. I check the tracking number and it was undeliverable because the address was incorrect. At this point, I was frustrated because my temporary plates was expiring the day after I was supposed to receive the package. The vehicle is now a $30K paperweight.

I escalated this up to manager because the sales rep I was dealing with clearly wasn't good at logistics. Upon discussion with the manager, I find out that the second key still wasn't ordered (this was one week after the sales rep assured me that it was ordered). I flipped out on the manager and brought up the fact that they deceived me into purchasing vehicle that had a cigarette smell by masking the smell and prepping it immediately before I saw it. He said that all their pew-own vehicles are properly prepped and cleaned before they're put up for sale. I call horse shit on this because my wife found a goddamn cigarette lighter under the passenger seat.

After some back and forth with the manager, he offered to detail the interior of the vehicle when the second key arrives (at this point, still not ordered). I agreed so long as I receive a loaner vehicle. The manager told me that the loaner vehicle would not be a BMW. I was dumbfounded by this comment because I went to a BMW dealership, purchased a BMW, bringing in a BMW for service at a BMW dealership. WHAT?! After some more back and forth, the manager agreed to provide me with a BMW loaner.

Fast forward to the day that I schedule the service. I ask the manager to confirm that I should go to the service department location, he said no and that the BMW loaner will be ready and waiting for me at the showroom location. Upon my arrival, the manager isn't working that day. I have to wait for the idiot sales rep to arrive 20 mins later to deal with the loaner. This guy tries to give me a Toyota Camry as my loaner. I told him that it's not his fault because I wasn't discussing the logistics with him and he went off complaining how I got him in trouble with his bosses and how in 42 years, he's never had a situation like this.

After another 20 mins of scrambling, the assistant manager was able to help the sales rep get a BMW loaner for me. After leaving with the loaner, I get a call 4.5 hours later saying that the car was done. At this point, I know that they didn't do anything to the interior of the vehicle. Hence, why I'm writing this here to prevent others from experiencing something similar.

I'm sure that not all sales reps at this dealership are incompetent or deceiving. However, tread carefully as I've been lied to by this dealership time and time again. I believe that I've been fair and reasonable with my requests as a customer.
      08-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #2
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayxi View Post
Sorry, this is going to be a long post because of how irate I am after my experience.

TL;DR - bad experience at Park Ave BMW, think twice before going there.

I was in the market for a 328i xDrive with M Sport Package. I came across an Alpine White 2015 328i xDrive with M Sport Package with 15,600 miles online that was available at Park Ave BMW. I called the pre-owned division to schedule a test drive since I live in Brooklyn, NY (takes 1.5 hours to get there in usual traffic). After scheduling the test drive, a sales rep, Frank Ruso, calls me to ask if I have any questions about the vehicle. I didn't have any specific questions about the vehicle because most of the information that I was concerned with was reflected on the CarFax report. I did ask how long the entire test drive would take since I was coming from Brooklyn and had plans in the city later that evening. He assured me that it would only take 40 mins and that the vehicle would be ready for me at 1pm.

Lo and behold, I arrive for my test drive promptly at 1pm and "the vehicle had to be retrieved from another facility". In hindsight, I now realized that the vehicle was being prepped for the test drive because it has a stale cigarette smoke smell from the previous owner. When I am finally able to see the vehicle, it was 1:30pm. The AC in the vehicle was on max and the car smelled fresh from some spray (I wrongfully thought that they actually spent the time to clean the interior of the vehicle). At this point, I think nothing of it. I continue on with the test drive and the vehicle runs beautifully and is the ultimate driving machine that I've always wanted.

After the test drive, I do a walk around the car and noticed that wheels all had really bad curb rash and there was a big gaping crater of a paint "chip" in the rear bumper. I told the sales rep that if they would repair the wheels and the bumper, that I would purchase the vehicle. After a few cycles of back and forth, they conceded and we continued with the purchase.

Prior to signing any paper work, I remembered that should ask if the vehicle cane with two proper keys. He assured me that it did. However, on the day of the delivery, I get a call from the sales rep that the vehicle in fact didn't have a second key and that he would buy me one out of his own pocket. As kind of a gesture that is, I could not leave it at his word. I asked the delivery manager for paperwork assuring me that I would receive the second key free of charge.

I take delivery of my "new to me" BMW and enjoy the drive home. Immediately as my wife opens the door, she said the vehicle has a bad cigarette smell. I hadn't smelled it because I sort of lost my sense of smell from being exposed to harsh chemicals in a previous job. At this point, I am feverishly researching how to get rid of cigarette smells from vehicles because it was basically my fault that this happened.

In the meantime, I am waiting for my registration papers and license plates and confirmation of the second key. In NJ, the temporary plates are only valid for 20 days. Within the last 7 days, I get nervous and reach out the sales rep on the status. He told me that the registration paperwork and license plates have arrived and that he couldn't order the second key until he received the registration paperwork. This made no sense to me but I was fine since I knew it was on it's way.

The sales rep said that he overnighted the license plates to me and provide a FedEx tracking number. I stayed home that day to receive the package because Park Ave BMW shipped it out requiring a signature upon delivery. I waited all day and no package. I check the tracking number and it was undeliverable because the address was incorrect. At this point, I was frustrated because my temporary plates was expiring the day after I was supposed to receive the package. The vehicle is now a $30K paperweight.

I escalated this up to manager because the sales rep I was dealing with clearly wasn't good at logistics. Upon discussion with the manager, I find out that the second key still wasn't ordered (this was one week after the sales rep assured me that it was ordered). I flipped out on the manager and brought up the fact that they deceived me into purchasing vehicle that had a cigarette smell by masking the smell and prepping it immediately before I saw it. He said that all their pew-own vehicles are properly prepped and cleaned before they're put up for sale. I call horse shit on this because my wife found a goddamn cigarette lighter under the passenger seat.

After some back and forth with the manager, he offered to detail the interior of the vehicle when the second key arrives (at this point, still not ordered). I agreed so long as I receive a loaner vehicle. The manager told me that the loaner vehicle would not be a BMW. I was dumbfounded by this comment because I went to a BMW dealership, purchased a BMW, bringing in a BMW for service at a BMW dealership. WHAT?! After some more back and forth, the manager agreed to provide me with a BMW loaner.

Fast forward to the day that I schedule the service. I ask the manager to confirm that I should go to the service department location, he said no and that the BMW loaner will be ready and waiting for me at the showroom location. Upon my arrival, the manager isn't working that day. I have to wait for the idiot sales rep to arrive 20 mins later to deal with the loaner. This guy tries to give me a Toyota Camry as my loaner. I told him that it's not his fault because I wasn't discussing the logistics with him and he went off complaining how I got him in trouble with his bosses and how in 42 years, he's never had a situation like this.

After another 20 mins of scrambling, the assistant manager was able to help the sales rep get a BMW loaner for me. After leaving with the loaner, I get a call 4.5 hours later saying that the car was done. At this point, I know that they didn't do anything to the interior of the vehicle. Hence, why I'm writing this here to prevent others from experiencing something similar.

I'm sure that not all sales reps at this dealership are incompetent or deceiving. However, tread carefully as I've been lied to by this dealership time and time again. I believe that I've been fair and reasonable with my requests as a customer.
I notice all the call dealers north east of 287 are generally pretty scummy
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
Zentan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C / 6MT / SO

Sorry you're experiencing this. Dealerships can give you a headache.

Question though -- you said that the dealership called you 4.5 hours later, but "at this point, you know it's not done". Are you assuming?

Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
rayxi
researcher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zentan View Post
Sorry you're experiencing this. Dealerships can give you a headache.

Question though -- you said that the dealership called you 4.5 hours later, but "at this point, you know it's not done". Are you assuming?

Keep us posted!
I meant that they didn't do anything to it. At the point I received the call, I assumed. It was confirmed when I brought it home to my pregnant wife who has the sense of smell of a bloodhound.
      08-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #5
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Quote:
I meant that they didn't do anything to it. At the point I received the call, I assumed. It was confirmed when I brought it home to my pregnant wife who has the sense of smell of a bloodhound.
Rayxi.....I would highly recommend calling back the dealership and speaking with a GM. Telll him what you want and if they don’t give it to you, tell him you’re just going to post your experience on social media. I would hit yelp, Facebook, their website, tell bmw NA even. Even if it doesn’t get you what you want at least you’ll warn others about their dogshit customer service and your terrible experience.

I once was going to a dealer in the BX to test drive a car, was in touch with the salesperson there and they assured me the car would be there. I call 15 minutes ahead of arrival to make sure the car is ready only for the salesperson to tell me they’d sold the car “last night”. I flipped out as it’s over an hour drive for Long Island. Told them I wanted reimbursement for my time and money to cross bridges. Sales rep told me that can’t happen. I told the sales rep the above. GM called me the next day and asked me for my info and cut a check for $100 bucks that I asked for.
      08-06-2018, 10:25 AM   #6
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 15 X5, 14 335

Park Ave is absolutely garbage, stay away at all costs.

I put a 500$ deposit on an e92 M3, traveled 2 hours from upstate NY and when I got there the car was sold "an hour ago". Sales guy claimed he even called my cell! Bullshit....they suck, stay away even for service.
Appreciate 1
rayxi40.00
      08-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #7
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

I would've left when the guy said he'd buy the BMW 2nd keyfob out of his own pocket
its like $300-400 +
no New Yuk salesman would do that
this place sounds like the typical used car places you see in movies
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2018, 10:53 AM   #8
rayxi
researcher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
I would've left when the guy said he'd buy the BMW 2nd keyfob out of his own pocket
its like $300-400 +
That's why I got it written on paper that I'd get the second key at no cost to me. At the end of the day, I received the second key, which is more expensive than the interior detailing and I'd have to get the dealer involved anyway to get the metal key cut.

Just looking to shed some light on a poor experience. Hopefully, others don't experience the same.
      08-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #9
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 15 X5, 14 335

Quote:
its like $300-400 +
100% correct. Scumbags all around. Greezy scumbags
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #10
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
its like $300-400 +
Maybe he should have worded it better but he didn't mean "he" as himself would be buying the new key. That's 100% coming out of pre-owned department budget or likely put towards reconditioning cost of car - regardless, it's not coming from the customer so I would have no issue with this. Missing a second key actually happens more than one would think (new and used car) - it's just that the dealership replaces the key without needing to tell the customer - no harm/no foul.

As far as getting the dealership to replace missing items of the car, the key fob is on the bottom of the list meaning they usually will do it because everyone knows that the car is supposed to come with two key fobs and not really arguable. As long as it's brought up and noted somewhere, it's going to get replaced unless a certain dealership is really that cheap that they can't even replace a $400 part on a used car.
Appreciate 1
rayxi40.00
      08-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #11
Bill97z
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328 xDrive

Is it a CPO? Here are CPO conditioning guidelines for interior:

INTERIOR
Vacuum
Shampoo
❏ Headliner, door panels, cloth seats, carpet and floor mats.
Leather & Vinyl Cleaning
❏ Clean and protect leather areas with BMW Leather Care p/n 81 2 9 400 901.
❏ Clean vinyl upholstery with BMW Rubber/Vinyl Cleaner p/n 82 14 1 467 133 and protect with BMW Cockpit
Spray p/n 83 12 9 407 769.
Instrument Panel and Console Cleaning
❏ Clean rubber and vinyl areas of the instrument panel and console with a clean cloth, lukewarm water and
BMW Rubber/Vinyl Cleaner p/n 82 14 1 467 133.
❏ Dress rubber and vinyl areas with BMW Cockpit Spray p/n 83 12 9 407 769.
❏ Polish plastic areas with BMW Plastic Polish p/n 82 14 1 467 129.
Interior Glass Cleaning
❏ SPECIAL NOTE: Vehicles with break-resistant Security Glass should be cleaned with clear water.
Odor Removal
❏ Clean all interior surfaces as noted above.
❏ Utilize the BMW Rainbow Air Activator/Odor Outer – call the BMW Equipment Hot Line at 1-888-222-7997
and ask for p/n 188-5401-Auto.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 12:38 PM   #12
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Maybe he should have worded it better but he didn't mean "he" as himself would be buying the new key. That's 100% coming out of pre-owned department budget or likely put towards reconditioning cost of car - regardless, it's not coming from the customer so I would have no issue with this. Missing a second key actually happens more than one would think (new and used car) - it's just that the dealership replaces the key without needing to tell the customer - no harm/no foul.

As far as getting the dealership to replace missing items of the car, the key fob is on the bottom of the list meaning they usually will do it because everyone knows that the car is supposed to come with two key fobs and not really arguable. As long as it's brought up and noted somewhere, it's going to get replaced unless a certain dealership is really that cheap that they can't even replace a $400 part on a used car.
"he would buy me one out of his own pocket"
when a salesman is sweet-talking beyond limits.. sirens are going off (for me anyway)
..call it old-school bullsh!t detectors on full receptive powa
Appreciate 1
rayxi40.00
      08-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #13
Bill97z
Private
Rep

Also, if it's a CPO, they are required to give you 2 keys as part of the certification requirements.

Unfortunately, they probably didn't facilitate the CPO process (which happened to me) or the odors and the key issue would have been addressed during the checklist process. Ask them for the CPO checklist, I bet it doesn't exist. If it did, the scratches and curb rash would have been addressed too as CPO guidelines require it.
Appreciate 1
rayxi40.00
      08-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #14
rayxi
researcher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97z View Post
Is it a CPO? Here are CPO conditioning guidelines for interior:

INTERIOR
Vacuum
Shampoo
❏ Headliner, door panels, cloth seats, carpet and floor mats.
Leather & Vinyl Cleaning
❏ Clean and protect leather areas with BMW Leather Care p/n 81 2 9 400 901.
❏ Clean vinyl upholstery with BMW Rubber/Vinyl Cleaner p/n 82 14 1 467 133 and protect with BMW Cockpit
Spray p/n 83 12 9 407 769.
Instrument Panel and Console Cleaning
❏ Clean rubber and vinyl areas of the instrument panel and console with a clean cloth, lukewarm water and
BMW Rubber/Vinyl Cleaner p/n 82 14 1 467 133.
❏ Dress rubber and vinyl areas with BMW Cockpit Spray p/n 83 12 9 407 769.
❏ Polish plastic areas with BMW Plastic Polish p/n 82 14 1 467 129.
Interior Glass Cleaning
❏ SPECIAL NOTE: Vehicles with break-resistant Security Glass should be cleaned with clear water.
Odor Removal
❏ Clean all interior surfaces as noted above.
❏ Utilize the BMW Rainbow Air Activator/Odor Outer – call the BMW Equipment Hot Line at 1-888-222-7997
and ask for p/n 188-5401-Auto.
Thanks for this. It's not CPO. I wasn't super concerned about getting a CPO since there's still another 1.5 years under factory warranty and I only drive about 5K miles in a year (on one car, now that I have two, it will probably be 2K miles on this car).
      08-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #15
Zentan
First Lieutenant
Rep

I highly recommend Rallye BMW in Westbury, Long Island
Appreciate 3
rayxi40.00
Mike.2044.00
      08-06-2018, 04:31 PM   #16
rayxi
researcher
Rep

Quote:
Will definitely note this for the next purchase.
      08-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #17
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
yup got 2 from them, theyre the best

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 1
rayxi40.00
      08-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #18
Zentan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
not even your next purchase, i'd do your servicing here too, assuming you have maintenance warranty
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:31 AM   #19
rayxi
researcher
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
not even your next purchase, i'd do your servicing here too, assuming you have maintenance warranty
Yes, I do. Thanks for pointing that out. Didn't even think of it.
      08-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #20
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Also, BMW of Ramsey. Formerly Prestige BMW. Great dealer and service department is tops.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #21
Bill97z
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
Also, BMW of Ramsey. Formerly Prestige BMW. Great dealer and service department is tops.
I actually had an issue with Prestige, they sold me a CPO what wasn't really a CPO! Had to get BMW NA involved, got a bit ugly.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #22
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97z View Post
I actually had an issue with Prestige, they sold me a CPO what wasn't really a CPO! Had to get BMW NA involved, got a bit ugly.
Damn sorry to hear that. How did you find out it wasn't CPO'ed? I've had nothing but good experiences with them so far.
Appreciate 0