F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 M sport steering wheel conversion advice
GetBMWParts

03-12-2024, 10:08 PM   #1
Crystal330i
Crystal330ii
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i

F30 M sport steering wheel conversion advice

Found a great deal on a used M Sport steering wheel for my 2017 330i. The wheel is off of a 2014 435 m sport, and still has the airbag, buttons, trim, etc. Also comes with heating. Seems like an amazing deal for 800 canadian dollars, but just wondering if there 's anything I need to watch out for? From what I understand the wheel will be plug and play, but just looking to get a second opinion before I pull the trigger.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 08:46 AM   #2
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal330i View Post
Found a great deal on a used M Sport steering wheel for my 2017 330i. The wheel is off of a 2014 435 m sport, and still has the airbag, buttons, trim, etc. Also comes with heating. Seems like an amazing deal for 800 canadian dollars, but just wondering if there 's anything I need to watch out for? From what I understand the wheel will be plug and play, but just looking to get a second opinion before I pull the trigger.

Thanks
Make sure the airbag is 2 stage. Some countries have different stage airbags. All 435i's with an auto trans came with paddles and if your car doesn't have paddles then the wheel may not be fully compatible.
      03-14-2024, 02:14 PM   #3
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:

Thanks
At that price, something is off.

$800 CAD = $590 USD

First, BMW calls for steering wheel to be replaced if air bag goes off. That’s where you find most M Sport Steering wheels. From accident cars.

2nd, Airbag is probably counterfeit and illegally rebuilt or single stage. You’d be very lucky to find a legit used airbag alone at that price.

If it sounds to good to be true…
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2024, 10:05 PM   #4
Crystal330i
Crystal330ii
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
At that price, something is off.

$800 CAD = $590 USD

First, BMW calls for steering wheel to be replaced if air bag goes off. That’s where you find most M Sport Steering wheels. From accident cars.

2nd, Airbag is probably counterfeit and illegally rebuilt or single stage. You’d be very lucky to find a legit used airbag alone at that price.

If it sounds to good to be true…
I've found that parts in Canada are somewhat cheaper than what I've seen on the internet for parts in the US. Kinda weird because you would think it's the opposite! I do agree that it might be suspect, but I did found a m sport airbag on marketplace for only 550$. Looks entirely OEM, and dual stage as well since it has the black and yellow connector (correct me if I'm wrong). The seller says the airbag was off of a 2020 x1. If I were to purchase this airbag and install it on a M sport steering wheel (buying one from somebody who upgraded his to carbon, so the airbag was not deployed), would it be plug and play for my 2017 330i? Thanks for the help everybody.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 10:12 PM   #5
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've found that parts in Canada are somewhat cheaper than what I've seen on the internet for parts in the US. Kinda weird because you would think it's the opposite! I do agree that it might be suspect, but I did found a m sport airbag on marketplace for only 550$. Looks entirely OEM, and dual stage as well since it has the black and yellow connector (correct me if I'm wrong). If I were to purchase this airbag and install it on a M sport steering wheel (buying one from somebody who upgraded his to carbon, so the airbag was not deployed), would it be plug and play? Thanks for the help everybody.
That is not a USA/Canada Dual Stage Airbag

Not even close

And Canada BMW prices are generally higher than USA.

I would also point out that some EU Round M Airbags are under recall. This MIGHT BE a recalled airbag that wasn’t destroyed and simply relabeled. Considering the way the label looks, it wouldn’t surprise me.

Background:

In June 2017 Takata Corporation, an airbag manufacturer, filed for bankruptcy in the United States and Japan due to lawsuits and large product recalls for unsafe airbags (with faulty airbag inflators) which the company sold to major automotive manufacturers.[14][15] KSS acquired the remaining Takata assets for about $1.6 billion.[16][17]

Renamed to Joyson Safety Systems
Following the antitrust clearance and bankruptcy court approvals in various countries, on April 11, 2018, KSS announced the completion of its acquisition of Takata, and changed its name to Joyson Safety Systems.[4]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 10:26 PM   #6
Crystal330i
Crystal330ii
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
That is not a USA/Canada Dual Stage Airbag

Not even close

And Canada BMW prices are generally higher than USA.

I would also point out that some EU Round M Airbags are under recall. This MIGHT BE a recalled airbag that wasn’t destroyed and simply relabeled. Considering the way the label looks, it wouldn’t surprise me.

Background:

In June 2017 Takata Corporation, an airbag manufacturer, filed for bankruptcy in the United States and Japan due to lawsuits and large product recalls for unsafe airbags (with faulty airbag inflators) which the company sold to major automotive manufacturers.[14][15] KSS acquired the remaining Takata assets for about $1.6 billion.[16][17]

Renamed to Joyson Safety Systems
Following the antitrust clearance and bankruptcy court approvals in various countries, on April 11, 2018, KSS announced the completion of its acquisition of Takata, and changed its name to Joyson Safety Systems.[4]
I see. So that's what the airbag should look like, with those 3 black green and blue connectors? Appreciate the clarification
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 11:42 PM   #7
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see. So that's what the airbag should look like, with those 3 black green and blue connectors? Appreciate the clarification
Connection wise, yes. 3 Connectors. The EU/ROW are single stage with only 2 connectors.

As for the labels, as JSS is a newer Company, the pic I posted was of a Takata USA Round M F Series 2 Stage Airbag.

I haven’t needed an airbag since 2017 so I cannot tell you what the JSS labels look like. What date code do you see on the side label or on the connector wire label? The JSS labels might look like that - and probably do. Though I’m a little shocked they look so sloppy as if they are slapped on.

Bottom line. With all the rebuilt and counterfeit airbags, not to mention recalled Airbags that were not destroyed and being illegally sold, Steering Wheel Airbags are the only item that I will not buy from anyone but a BMW Dealer. There is just too much chance any other way.

But you do you.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 04:35 PM   #8
Crystal330i
Crystal330ii
Canada
Rep

Will do. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 05:15 PM   #9
Crystal330i
Crystal330ii
Canada
Rep

After a bunch of research and communication with the seller, I think I should be okay buying the wheel + airbag used from marketplace. Seller owns a junkyard, has great reviews on marketplace, and provided photos of airbag part number as well as the vehicle vin number. Vin number was checked against https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls (wba3r5c57ek188421) showing no active recall for the airbag on the car the steering wheel was removed from, and https://www.bmwusa.com/safety-and-em...ta-airbag.html shows that no BMW 4 series was even part of the airbag recall. Part number of the airbag is attached. Airbag is also dual stage with the 3 connectors.

Matches with other OEM airbags from a quick google search. Just wanted to leave this post here in case other people are looking to do this conversion. As YASBBYM3 has stated, there are a ton of illegal, counterfeit, and fake airbags in circulation, so purchasing any used airbag contains some element of risk. At this point, however, I think the price versus the amount of risk I am taking for this specific scenario is well worth it (1600 canadian for the airbag itself at the dealer).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0