F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 320d ed hydraulic lifter noise!
Studio RSR

08-04-2022, 02:29 PM   #1
F30320DED
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 320d e90 320d e87118d

Exclamation F30 320d ed hydraulic lifter noise!

Hey all,

was wondering if anyone had anything to add to this discussion... i had my n47d20c engine reconditioned due to chain failure, 126k milage, now on 133k and on first start up i get a louder than usual lifter tick noise for approx 3 seconds then the noise decreases in sound and goes to the usual tick noise, now with this being said it had MOTUL oil on rebuild then changed again at 3k miles from rebuild as suggested from indy spec.. fine changed the oil napa 5w - 30 c3.. my indy suggested this was cheap oil to use when i called the other day to let him know about lifter noise he mentioned about the oil change ( he didnt change it someone locally did) now my questions are,

1 , where do i stand on my warranty for engine recon if i need to replace lifters as should they have not been checked ? replaced upon chain failure.. ?
2, i didnt sign nor wasnt advised to only have maintenance work regarding the repairs from my indy spec ( can he refuse or blame the oil change if he does then what? regarding the lifters)
3, is this chain related ?
4, do we all think its just down to this napa oil?

ive never noticed it until i changed oil to be fair but then again ive been running the engine in i.e the first 3k didnt really exceed 70 never redlined etc drove it with care then have slowly eased back into a semi lead boot vibe.. hard not to sometimes ( still young dont judge safely of course!!!)
all parts all genuine bmw etc.

this year with this 320d has finacially gave me a rough time everytime i fix something there is a new issue, man hopefully by christmas i wont have these issues, had problems since november

any input would be appreciated, the mechanic mentioned a strainer or something along them lines on the call we had also, he health checked it maybe twice in 8k miles both occasions was thumbs up..

thanks !
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 05:22 PM   #2
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I have a very similar issue with my 330d which has done 102K miles.

There is a very noticeable tapping noise for a few seconds after cold start-up until the oil pressure builds. It becomes more of a background noise as the engine reaches operating temperature.

I assume this is a worn lifter / hydraulic tappet but I haven't had it professionally diagnosed yet.

It's definitely emanating from the rocker cover; definitely not timing chain related.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 11:25 PM   #3
F30320DED
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi mate, thanks for reply..
Yes this describes my issue really well.. im due some work from mechanic in a week so may have him inspect to see if any visible damage.. Will update 👍
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 03:20 AM   #4
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

I've had 2 cars with noisy lifters and I managed to fix both without doing anything internal. Those were a M54 Engine Z4 and a VX220. Not that I necessarily recommend this procedure but this is what I would do...

Lifter noise can seemingly come from oil galleries or the lifter themselves becoming sludged up. How long have your oil service intervals been?

To fix both, I took about 1L of oil out of the sump and replaced it with diesel. Ran that in the car at idle and fast idle for about 15 minutes and then do a full oil change. The diesel acts as a cleaner that can get in to harder to reach parts of the engine.

Diesel has a high level of lubricity although obviously not as much as oil so is extremely unlikely to cause damage. I think Americans also have Seafoam for this but it's essentially just diesel and alcohol.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 05:20 AM   #5
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I do oil and filter changes every 7K miles, only run full synthetic oil, and use oil flush additive (usually Liqui Moly) before draining the oil.

I think the noise in my engine is more likely to be wear-related.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 08:01 AM   #6
F30320DED
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi edda..
Oil change was fresh on rebuild then again at 3k + I've done 4k since then I'm due to have a change in one week👍 will deffo look into ylur reply.. thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 06:02 PM   #7
F30320DED
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi watsey..
Yeah I would assume so in your case.. maybe mine are the same also as the car was on 127k before snapped chain but I'm unsure if they was replaced as I have the invoice and doesn't state lifters when I had it reconditioned as I know when they snap the damage can vary from engine to engine .. im gunna do a oil change and filters etc in a week with motul oil will see if makes a difference and upload findings 👍
Appreciate 0