F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Question about the ISOFIX points?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #1
Johnny5iv3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport EBII

Question about the ISOFIX points?

Hi Guys,

My 320i M Sport is due within the next few weeks and I have a question about th ISOFIX points on my car?

I didn't purchase the 40:20:40 split folding back seats and I was wondering if I still get the ISOFIX points behind those little plastic covers? Every time I try to Google pictures of the ISOFIX points on the non-foldable F30/F31 back seats there seems to be no sight of the ISOFIX points! Can someone please shed some light on this for me as me and the Missus have just had our first baby who is 6 months old next week.

Cheers,

John.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
olemartin
Norway
Rep
Drives: bmw 118D

Garage List
2004 BMW 118D  [0.00]
I dont know about the 320i, but in my 118d with folding backseats I have isofix-points.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
Johnny5iv3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by olemartin View Post
I dont know about the 320i, but in my 118d with folding backseats I have isofix-points.
I currently have a 118d and they have the ISOFIX points with my folded seats too but just wondering if the F30 m sport non-foldable seats have the same ISOFIX points or maybe ones that are tucked away between the gap of the seat and back.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I would think rear Isofix points are standard, they have been on all models of E90/1/2 for years and a major safety point, can't see a new car being built by BMW now without them.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 06:01 AM   #5
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

No little plastic covers I'm afraid. If that's what you were after.

The Isofix fixings are between the base and back and a swine to find.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
Johnny5iv3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
No little plastic covers I'm afraid. If that's what you were after.

The Isofix fixings are between the base and back and a swine to find.
Just as I thought!

So it's hidden then? Good and bad I guess...

Good being it looks out of sight when not using ISOFIX and bad being it might ruin the seat cushioning then the ISOFIX device is wedged between the gap!!

Not to worry, I'm gunna have to get a new baby car seat soon as the little nipper is getting big now and I'll probably get one that uses the seat belts to secure instead of the ISOFIX points so no harm done in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

To be honest it's only an issue if you have two cars and you're too cheap to buy more than one seat. Like me The whole point of Isofix really is that once it's in, it's in. And I wouldn't say the seat cushion will suffer.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #8
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

I can vouch for the awkwardness of trying to get the seats in. If I'd have known the folding seats had the isofix docking ports that would have easily made it onto the option list.

Without the folding seats you do get little dots on the rear of the back seats to at least show you where to aim but it can still be a nuisance as the isofix part of the seat can still manage to find the space below the isofix fixing point.

All the fun of parenting
      02-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
Johnny5iv3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
...If I'd have known the folding seats had the isofix docking ports that would have easily made it onto the option list...
If I knew this also I would have opted for the folded seats. TBH, I didn't realise there were no folding seats in the car as standard, as I've only ever owned hatchbacks I thought it was standard on all cars!

One good thing about non-folding seats is that I will not need to do the rubbish tip run in my new car, will from now on only be using the Missus' Golf for that! LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #10
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

To be honest it wasn't that much easier with the folding seats/little plastic flaps thing. The F31 I had on long term loan was certainly trickier than my old E91.

Oh and the recessed seat belt sockets are a pain in the arse too
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #11
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
To be honest it wasn't that much easier with the folding seats/little plastic flaps thing. The F31 I had on long term loan was certainly trickier than my old E91.

Again, I can vouch for the seat belt sockets being a PITA! Our two year old is now in the cybex isofix seat that attaches with the seat belt over her and to get the seat belt to plug in I had to climb in over her to sit in the small gap in between the two car seats and then push the seat towards the door and even then the buckle would only just go in. Trouble was I'd put the child locks on the door so I had to get Mrs B to come and release me.

It's a good job the kids don't get taken out in my car too often otherwise I'd be seriously considering my options
      02-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
Johnny5iv3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
Again, I can vouch for the seat belt sockets being a PITA! Our two year old is now in the cybex isofix seat that attaches with the seat belt over her and to get the seat belt to plug in I had to climb in over her to sit in the small gap in between the two car seats and then push the seat towards the door and even then the buckle would only just go in. Trouble was I'd put the child locks on the door so I had to get Mrs B to come and release me.

It's a good job the kids don't get taken out in my car too often otherwise I'd be seriously considering my options
Sounds like a right PITA that does!!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #13
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

We had an F31 24hr test drive recently, both kids use booster cushions and it was next to impossible to get the seatbelts to buckle in. Took moving the booster with child in place forward and across towards side of car to get belt in and then move all back to correct position. Perhaps narrower boosters would help but not sure if they are available as these were pretty standard ones. THere is no way I would do that operation a few times every day which really ruled out the F31 as an option sadly despite me being very keen on the 330d.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

The F31 2.0d M Sport i tried at the dealers (almost carbon copy as the one I’m about receive this Friday) had split fold rear seats and plastic covers on. I made a point of carting the child seat in (rear facer up to 4yrs) and trying it out with the ISOfix. Bit of a bugger but got it hooked up eventually. I’m tempted to buy another base for convenience.

BTW if your looking to buy another baby/child seat be careful as I’m told (rightly or wrongly) that the law could change next year whereby kids need rear facing car seats up to circa 3 years old. Apologies of the slight off topic
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #15
Johnny5iv3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboss View Post
The F31 2.0d M Sport i tried at the dealers (almost carbon copy as the one I’m about receive this Friday) had split fold rear seats and plastic covers on. I made a point of carting the child seat in (rear facer up to 4yrs) and trying it out with the ISOfix. Bit of a bugger but got it hooked up eventually. I’m tempted to buy another base for convenience.

BTW if your looking to buy another baby/child seat be careful as I’m told (rightly or wrongly) that the law could change next year whereby kids need rear facing car seats up to circa 3 years old. Apologies of the slight off topic
Thanks for the heads up on the car seat front.

Regardless of the law change, I need a new car seat soon anyway. Was looking at the Maxi Cosi Axiss which swivels to the side to make it easier to put your kid in....looks very convenient and easy to use. Has it's only 5 point harness so no need to fiddle around with seat belts etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:43 AM   #16
AlteredCarbon
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 320D MSport EBII

I can confirm that both getting the seats into the Isofix points, and buckling the seat belts in is a royal pain in the ass. Fortunately, as another poster has already mentioned, once they're in, they're in, so the Isofix bit doesn't cause too much of an issue.

I really did have concerns about the recessed seatbelts though and even got the dealer to demo and confirm that's how they were supposed to sit. Good news is that after a bit of practice, belting the little 'uns in does become easier and it doesn't cause me too much grief now.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
Redbaron1973
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and G02 X4

The isofix points are not too bad in my experience... the bigger issue is how much bloody space the seat takes up. Don't do what i did and decide that forward facing is better.. it turns your car into a 3 seater.

__________________________________________________ ________________

G02 X4 MSport X - Carbon Black w Black / Comfort Pack / Tech Pack / Privacy
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #18
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I'm using two car seats in the back of my F30. If you have a rear-facing seat, it really can only go behind the passenger seat, and that must be pushed forward quite a bit. I like the rear/top tethers (this is the ISOFIX latch?). The seats go in very securely.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #19
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Don't use them. Sold the kids.
      02-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #20
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5iv3 View Post
Can someone please shed some light on this for me as me and the Missus have just had our first baby who is 6 months old next week.
I'd recommend a base for your car seat like this http://www.maxi-cosi.com/products/ca...asybase-2.aspx or http://www.maxi-cosi.com/products/ca...familyfix.aspx

Since your baby is 6 months, it's prob not worth it as your baby will be into the Group 1 seat soon....unless your planning another one

Quote:

+1 the seat belts are recessed in much further in than the on our previous E91. Also the ISOFIX is set too close to the buckles so they get squeezed making it that much harder. I considered getting seat belt extensions as it's pain to buckle in my son.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #21
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Ah, you guys refer to Isofix, what we call LATCH anchors. There is also a top tether behind the rear headrests, not sure what that is called.

I highly recommend removing all three rear headrests if you're putting in any type of seat. You need to fold down the rear seats to remove the left/right rear headrests, so do this BEFORE you install the car seats.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #22
Redbaron1973
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and G02 X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Ah, you guys refer to Isofix, what we call LATCH anchors. There is also a top tether behind the rear headrests, not sure what that is called.

I highly recommend removing all three rear headrests if you're putting in any type of seat. You need to fold down the rear seats to remove the left/right rear headrests, so do this BEFORE you install the car seats.

Why do you remove the headrests to fit a rear facing seat?

__________________________________________________ ________________

G02 X4 MSport X - Carbon Black w Black / Comfort Pack / Tech Pack / Privacy
Appreciate 0