F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > F30 A/C ISTA diagnosis-help needed
ARMA SPEED

05-24-2021, 06:33 PM   #1
jodyc256
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Exclamation F30 A/C ISTA diagnosis-help needed

Apologies if this is an incorrect forum to post this. My 2013 328i's air conditioning only blows warm air. About a month back, I lost my ambient temp sensor after hitting a raccoon. The animal knocked the panel that houses the ambient air temp sensor (left spoiler splash panel) and the temp sensor off of my car. It was approximately one week later that my a/c stopped blowing cold air. Some suggest and I have read that the IHKA likely shut down the a/c and that replacing the ambient air temperature sensor would resolve my a/c issues, only it did not. After I replaced the temp sensor my in-dash reading went from -40F to the correct temperature but the a/c still is not functioning. I am unsure if my a/c going out was just a coincidence with losing my ambient air temp sensor or if I could have somehow done further damage to my a/c by hitting the animal and losing the left spoiler splash panel and sensor. I have since replaced the ambient temp sensor with a sensor repair kit, and the sensor seems to work properly. Admittedly, I know very little about using ISTA yet ran some limited diagnostics with it and have attached some screenshots for what little it might be worth. The active fault codes associated with the a/c that I am getting are "0x80436E compressor clutch: Break in wiring or short circuit to B+" and "0x804397 Automatic air recirculation control (AUC) sensor: Short circuit to ground" It is my understanding that the AUC sensor should not interfere with the performance of my a/c, so that would leave compressor clutch fault code. How difficult is it to check the wiring to the compressor clutch? Is this something that someone with very limited mechanical skills and knowledge could easily do, or would it be best to leave it to a mechanic? Lastly, are there any other diagnostics I can run with ISTA that might help narrow things down any further or should I just focus on the wiring to the compressor clutch? The only thing I've really used ISTA for thus far is reading the fault codes and the states of IHKA components. Once again, my knowledge on the mechanical side of this machine is limited, to put it politely as is my knowledge of ISTA. Thanks in advance to anyone taking their time to read this. Jody C.
[UPDATE] I cleared the codes and the only remaining codes are the two mentioned above. The ambient air temperature sensor code cleared and has remained so.
Attached Images

Last edited by jodyc256; 05-25-2021 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 12:01 PM   #2
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
I am experiencing the same fault 0x80436E compressor clutch Break in wiring or short circuit to B+" with my 2012 F30 328I. I used a multi-meter and measured the resistance of the clutch coil and it was open so I tried to find a new replacement with no luck. I ordered and used compressor from a junk yard in Northern California for $110 and installed the Coil from that compressor but it still doesn't work. The new coil checks out good with the meter but I am only reading 9 Volts feeding the coil and it does not pull the clutch in.
Did you ever get your issue resolved?
If so what was the fix?
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 04:34 PM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwm View Post
I am experiencing the same fault 0x80436E compressor clutch Break in wiring or short circuit to B+" with my 2012 F30 328I. I used a multi-meter and measured the resistance of the clutch coil and it was open so I tried to find a new replacement with no luck. I ordered and used compressor from a junk yard in Northern California for $110 and installed the Coil from that compressor but it still doesn't work. The new coil checks out good with the meter but I am only reading 9 Volts feeding the coil and it does not pull the clutch in.
If so what was the fix?
Have you tested the wiring?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 04:56 PM   #4
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwm View Post
If so what was the fix?
I am experiencing the Short Circuit B+ code as well. Has anyone resolved their issue, I am unsure how to fix it?
Appreciate 0