F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9/10 HU theming and discussion
GetBMWParts

12-06-2021, 09:23 AM   #837
careagax5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by careagax5m View Post
Good morning Rederik
I was wondering if you could prepare the boot animation and splash image for me ( for a fee of course ) I am okay with the NBT M Animation and Universal 1 splash image .

I have an android unit with Qualcomm Snapdragon Android 11 - 4G RAM + 64G ROM (8 Core) - WIFI & 3G/4G/LTE capability on a bmw f10 M5 LCI ( NBT )
Hi, send me an email please - info @ rederik.co.uk
Please include a few photos of your car and screenshot or photo of the system info screen (the one that shows the MCU and APP version).

Once I have that information I will get back to you and confirm the price.
Sounds good, email has been sent

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 07:15 AM   #838
rytec
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW316da Touring 2014

Quote:
Custom APPs

Drive keyboard was developed to help with keyboard inputs on automotive Android headunits. It supports rotary controller found in many modern cars allowing for character input without the need for touching the screen or in a conventional way with QWERTY style keyboard and touch inputs.

I installed this app a few days ago on my 625 snapdragon MMI with KSW-Q-2.8.6 and I must say, I wish I've done this earlier, way better then the standard keyboard and I love to use my iDrive knob again. But if it has to be done fast you just tick on the inner circle of the idrive layout layout you'll get a normal keyboard layout.

Will this still work if I would upgrade my unit to 3.1.5? I know you've told me if it works fine just leave it as it is but it's tickling my fingers to do the upgrade beacause of some minor stuff.

Anyone here who has done the upgrade from 2.8.6 to 3.1.5 and notice improvements?

The minor thing is that you need to re-configure the whole unit again with themes, Tasker, apps, layout of the KSW overlay, etc...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 08:59 AM   #839
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rytec View Post
I installed this app a few days ago on my 625 snapdragon MMI with KSW-Q-2.8.6 and I must say, I wish I've done this earlier, way better then the standard keyboard and I love to use my iDrive knob again. But if it has to be done fast you just tick on the inner circle of the idrive layout layout you'll get a normal keyboard layout.

Will this still work if I would upgrade my unit to 3.1.5? I know you've told me if it works fine just leave it as it is but it's tickling my fingers to do the upgrade beacause of some minor stuff.

Anyone here who has done the upgrade from 2.8.6 to 3.1.5 and notice improvements?

The minor thing is that you need to re-configure the whole unit again with themes, Tasker, apps, layout of the KSW overlay, etc...
I'm glad you're enjoying my app

If you decide to update the app will still work no problem. You will have to reconfigure some stuff as you said but other than that all should be fine.
Appreciate 1
rytec2.50
      12-08-2021, 09:45 AM   #840
rytec
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

If you decide to update the app will still work no problem. You will have to reconfigure some stuff as you said but other than that all should be fine.
Well, I just reached the part of Kri where he mentioned the update 3.3.9 for native Android 10 HU, so I've to check first my device if it's a P or Q based system.

How can I mention users here in my posts? I don't get this working hehe.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 10:21 AM   #841
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, I just reached the part of Kri where he mentioned the update 3.3.9 for native Android 10 HU, so I've to check first my device if it's a P or Q based system.

How can I mention users here in my posts? I don't get this working hehe.
You do @ and then start typing user's name rytec . Then a popup should appear allowing you to select a user you want to mention. But kri is a tricky one as his user name is very short and not being picked up by the selection tool, you need to know his user ID, yours is @ [rytec] (contact:485703) with no spaces between.
Appreciate 1
rytec2.50
      12-09-2021, 01:49 AM   #842
rytec
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

So I think my HU is Android native and able to update with the latest firmware 3.3.9?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 02:42 AM   #843
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
So I think my HU is Android native and able to update with the latest firmware 3.3.9?
That looks to me like native Android 10 unit.

If the baseband has 8953_GEN_PACK or KSW_P - this is an UPGRADED device, and this is EOL for it, but yours doesn't have these.
Appreciate 1
rytec2.50
      12-09-2021, 06:03 AM   #844
Inquizit0r
Saint Inquiziti0n
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 3.0si

After updating to 3.3.9 BMW_ID6_GS theme has absolutely different graphics, so old kswoverlay from <3.1.5 is not works.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 06:36 AM   #845
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizit0r View Post
After updating to 3.3.9 BMW_ID6_GS theme has absolutely different graphics, so old kswoverlay from <3.1.5 is not works.
Then it has to be redone for the new version.

Personally I haven't touch theming in a long time, but from what I can tell, every version of KSW software was carrying over the same files + adding some more, meaning it should still work... unless something fundamentally changed, but like I said I haven't touch that in a long time.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 01:33 AM   #846
rytec
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
What is your experience now with 3.3.9 ? Worth the update and re-configuration time?
Improvements?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 01:35 AM   #847
rytec
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

Hi Erik

When I stop the app drive keyboard then it doesn't stay active in the background.
When I have to type something it gives me the normal keyboard again.

Now I have used Tasker to open the app upon startup of the Android HU but there's averytime this popup to select which keyboard to use.

Is there something I should change or do to configure this better?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 02:13 AM   #848
Inquizit0r
Saint Inquiziti0n
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 3.0si

Quote:
What is your experience now with 3.3.9 ? Worth the update and re-configuration time?
Improvements?
I'm using this update only 2nd day. Don't see for now any improvements. And where can i see changelog?
Appreciate 1
rytec2.50
      12-10-2021, 02:43 AM   #849
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm using this update only 2nd day. Don't see for now any improvements. And where can i see changelog?
Changelogs are always posted here https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1699764
Appreciate 1
rytec2.50
      12-10-2021, 02:51 AM   #850
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi Erik

When I stop the app drive keyboard then it doesn't stay active in the background.
When I have to type something it gives me the normal keyboard again.

Now I have used Tasker to open the app upon startup of the Android HU but there's averytime this popup to select which keyboard to use.

Is there something I should change or do to configure this better?
You mustn't stop the app, if you do it will no longer be available. This applies to any keyboard (SwiftKey, AnyKeyboard etc) you run on this unit. If you don't stop the app, your preference of which keyboard to use should survive reboots.

The popup thing is Android system prompting you to select which keyboard you wish to use. I'm only invoking this popup if you open my app and Drive Keyboard is not selected as default one.

I was considering implementing Self ADB to allow users to force system to use my keyboard as default but I'm not sure how it sits with Google Play policy of what's allowed and what's not. Besides the core issues is with the KSW version of Android, not Android itself. They did some horrible things to the system that are very difficult (if not impossible) to reverse.
Appreciate 1
rytec2.50
      12-10-2021, 03:04 AM   #851
rytec
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
You mustn't stop the app, if you do it will no longer be available. This applies to any keyboard (SwiftKey, AnyKeyboard etc) you run on this unit. If you don't stop the app, your preference of which keyboard to use should survive reboots.

The popup thing is Android system prompting you to select which keyboard you wish to use. I'm only invoking this popup if you open my app and Drive Keyboard is not selected as default one.

I was considering implementing Self ADB to allow users to force system to use my keyboard as default but I'm not sure how it sits with Google Play policy of what's allowed and what's not. Besides the core issues is with the KSW version of Android, not Android itself. They did some horrible things to the system that are very difficult (if not impossible) to reverse.
Is it possible to select your keyboard in Android 10 as default?

Or maybe use Tasker to do some things to select your keyboard in that popup window?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 03:07 AM   #852
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Is it possible to select your keyboard in Android 10 as default?

Or maybe use Tasker to do some things to select your keyboard in that popup window?
As I siad, by selecting Drive Keyboard on this popup it should stay as your default keyboard. But you must not stop/close the app, just "minimise" it to the background if you know what I mean.

As for Tasker, I have no idea, I never used it for anything. I will however research the Self ADB and see if I can implement that.
Appreciate 1
rytec2.50
      12-10-2021, 04:15 AM   #853
rytec
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Which was the previous version you've used before the update? Any improvements in the audio sound quality? Graphics?

Would be nice to share with us after a week or so.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 04:41 AM   #854
rytec
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
As I siad, by selecting Drive Keyboard on this popup it should stay as your default keyboard. But you must not stop/close the app, just "minimise" it to the background if you know what I mean.

As for Tasker, I have no idea, I never used it for anything. I will however research the Self ADB and see if I can implement that.
Just one more question, when you turn the idrive wheel in your keyboard, you can select this world globe icon.

What is the function of this? If I click on it, nothing happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 05:23 AM   #855
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Just one more question, when you turn the idrive wheel in your keyboard, you can select this world globe icon.

What is the function of this? If I click on it, nothing happens.
Globe icon should load a universal and localised (based on your system language) TLDs - top level domains, so for example .co.uk, .com, .de etc.
Appreciate 1
rytec2.50
      12-11-2021, 02:48 AM   #856
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
thx for the information, seems i somehow missed that, need to check where exactly the change was, probably they renamed some stuff again to support additional display resolutions, would not be the first time.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 11:53 AM   #857
swatsev
Rep
Drives: g30

Quote:
The only way of doing this is via ADB

YOU WILL NEED TO KNOW HOW TO USE ADB ON YOUR COMPUTER TO CONNECT TO YOUR DEVICE TO MODIFY BUILD.PROP
(((((WARNING))))): IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO THIS RELIABLY WITH THE NEXT FEW ADB COMMANDS, DO NOT PROCEED. IF YOU DO NOT DO IT PROPERLY AND ALL IN ONE GO, YOU WILL, I REPEAT, YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE AND SEND IT TO A BOOT LOOP. WE DO HAVE AN UNBRICKING GUIDE BUT IT REQUIRES TALKING YOUR UNIT APART AND SOLDERING USB PORT, SO YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

If you do not have ADB downloaded and installed: https://dl.google.com/android/reposi...st-windows.zip

After downloading, hold down Shift and Right Click inside the folder (any blank spot) and click Open PowerShell window here.

Please note: After typing adb on each command, press Tab if your PowerShell is erroring out to complete the execution step, and then type the rest of the command.
  • 1. You will have to execute these ADB commands in a sequential way, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT EXECUTE ANYTHING IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING
    You will have to connect your screen to a Wifi source, and a computer to the same Wifi source. Obtain the IP from Settings -> Wifi -> YOUR WIFI NAME -> Advanced -> IP Address
    Code:
    adb connect IP:5555
    adb root
    adb disable-verity
    adb reboot

adb connect IP:5555
    adb root
    adb remount
    adb pull /system/build.prop
  • 3. Edit your build.prop using Notepad++, then paste this at the very bottom.
    Code:
    # Safe Media Bypass for External USB Sound Cards
    audio.safemedia.bypass=true
    This allows the Safe Media Bypass warning adjustment to disable resetting your volume from 100% to 30% when your screen reboots.

Save your changes.
  • 4. Push your modified build.prop back into the device.
    Code:
    adb push build.prop /storage/emulated/0/
    adb shell
    mv /storage/emulated/0/build.prop /system/build.prop
    chmod 644 /system/build.prop
    reboot
  • 5. After instructions are complete, go to Settings -> Sound and then Max out your Audio volume. This will now survive reboots after the commands above.
    Remember these instructions must be done all over again if you update your system. DO NOT COPY AN OLD EDITED FILE FROM A PREVIOUS EXECUTION TO NEW UPDATES OR YOU WILL ENSURE A BRICK.
Hello, please help. Who can make a short video how to write a line using ADB.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 04:53 PM   #858
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsev View Post
Hello, please help. Who can make a short video how to write a line using ADB.
I'm sorry but I don't have time to make videos for every aspect of customisation. You have a step-by-step instructions here, it tells you what to download, where to click and what commands to type, this couldn't be any simplier.
Appreciate 0