F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > F31 318d 2015 drinking oil
ARMA SPEED

05-14-2019, 11:25 PM   #23
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danderlion View Post
UPDATE:

I got to the dealership and they drained the engine oil, filled it up (normal bmw twinpower 0-W30), change filter and gave me a spare liter and sent me driving. 1000km to be precise. In that drive the car asked for 1L of more oil and is now sitting at 3/4 meter so it drank 1.25Lish on that 1000km drive. I am now waiting for them to take it in and drain the oil again and see exactly how much is missing.

Things I noticed while doing this 1000km in 3 days drive was that there is no smoke coming out, no noticeable oil leaks (was parked on a white painted garage floor the whole time when standing still over night etc) and it seems to loose power for just a few milliseconds when cruising on the highway. What I mean with that is that it is fast and snappy when actively driving, accelerating, braking, changing gears etc... but after a few minutes after being driving a bit harder and you are now cruising at 120km/h it just very briefly looses power and then reengages. I can best describe it as if you're walking down the street and stumble. That's basically how it feels.

Any wild random ideas what might be going on? The company I bought the car from should be covering repairs but even they have started getting a bit nervous when checking on the progress and started hinting at maybe it would be better for them to replace the car with another from their selection.
I am mostly curious what could be going on as I can't find and similar cases online that would fit with no smoke, no leak and drinking oil and what might the possible costs be to troubleshoot and fix?
Not leaking is odd, not smoking is odd, but with that much oil lost it is definitely an internal issue. I doubt the piston rings/bore is worn unless it was purposely neglected. It has to be a valvetrain issue/turbo issue etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 02:39 AM   #24
Danderlion
Rep
Drives: 2006 Volvo XC70

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328dX View Post
Not leaking is odd, not smoking is odd, but with that much oil lost it is definitely an internal issue. I doubt the piston rings/bore is worn unless it was purposely neglected. It has to be a valvetrain issue/turbo issue etc.
Yeah I was suspecting something internal also just wasn't sure what could make that much oil vanish without any obvious traces, neither of what you suggested sounds like cheap fixes so lets see. I got time to finish the test on Monday next week. That might shed some light.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:58 AM   #25
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Quote:
Yeah I was suspecting something internal also just wasn't sure what could make that much oil vanish without any obvious traces, neither of what you suggested sounds like cheap fixes so lets see. I got time to finish the test on Monday next week. That might shed some light.
I feel like its going to end up being an easy fix OP.

If not the last owner must've gone way over on his oil change intervals
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 01:54 AM   #26
Danderlion
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328dX View Post
I feel like its going to end up being an easy fix OP.

If not the last owner must've gone way over on his oil change intervals
Thanks, let's hope so.

I will check the digital service book again once I get back from work but I would like to remember it was meticulously serviced which made the huge oil consumption seem so out of place.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 06:56 AM   #27
Danderlion
Rep

So I heard back from the bmw dealership. The car doesn't have a low oil error logged so they can't prove that I needed to add 1L during my 1000km drive which leave consumption at 0.5L per 1000km meaning the car actually consumed 1.5L for a 1000km drive. They admit that someone has been doing changes to the car (coding it), they could see it was months before I bought it, but the burden of proof is still on my shoulders.

I am starting to get to my whits end. They told my clearly that this problem will not go away, it will get worse but it's not bad enough to warranty a fix on the purchase deal and by the time it is bad enough to fix it will most likely be 6-12 month after purchase and not reasonable to assume they would fix it.

Their best suggestion is that I just go aimlessly driving around until the "low oil" comes on and instantly get back to them so they can see it.

If anyone has any ideas I would be very happy because this is starting to look like I need to start saving for a engine change in a few months.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #28
Danderlion
Rep

So it seems that finally I get mechanics to see the error and it seems the car doesn't save errors in the ECU anymore. official consumption now estimated to 1.3-1.5l per 1000km by dealership.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 04:24 PM   #29
hpopmds
Private
Rep
Drives: F31

Hello. Any updates Danderlion?
I have the same problem (318d F31 2013 190000km).
No smoke, no oil leaks. Eats 1l of oil per 2000km, mostly at high speed.(not in city driving).
Turbo or piston rings?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 11:38 AM   #30
speedbirdblack
Private
Sri Lanka
Rep
Drives: f30 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
So I got my F31 about a month ago used. It had 180,000 km on the clock. First thing I noticed when going to get the plates for it, I got a notification about low oil. I added one liter and just chalked it up to heavy driving when test driving at the dealership. Now 1500km later it wants one liter of oil again.

I understand turbo cars tend to drink more than others, twinturbo maybe a bit more, but 1L per 1500km sounds very much doesn't it? No signs of leakage or other warnings.
this is normal on spirited driving conditions.lots of oil gets evaporated through crankcase breather and end up in inlet Values. I have 10k km oil intervels and tops up about 3 to 4 ltrs in between. 60% spirited driving
      11-03-2021, 10:55 PM   #31
speedbirdblack
Private
Sri Lanka
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So I got my F31 about a month ago used. It had 180,000 km on the clock. First thing I noticed when going to get the plates for it, I got a notification about low oil. I added one liter and just chalked it up to heavy driving when test driving at the dealership. Now 1500km later it wants one liter of oil again.

I understand turbo cars tend to drink more than others, twinturbo maybe a bit more, but 1L per 1500km sounds very much doesn't it? No signs of leakage or other warnings.
My 318d consume 1Ltr every 2500kms. no wear or leak noticed. ( engine teardown due to timing chain snapped)

however check valves oil seal
      09-05-2023, 03:05 AM   #32
Chucki
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbirdblack View Post
My 318d consume 1Ltr every 2500kms. no wear or leak noticed. ( engine teardown due to timing chain snapped)

however check valves oil seal
beware beware

all of you reading this.
problems with the bmw f30 316d and 318d.

This model has a problem with the piston rings. Good mechanics know about this mistake.

The 320d doesn't have these issues

Just changing the chain and piston rings on my 318d
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2023, 11:34 PM   #33
speedbirdblack
Private
Sri Lanka
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucki View Post
beware beware

all of you reading this.
problems with the bmw f30 316d and 318d.

This model has a problem with the piston rings. Good mechanics know about this mistake.

The 320d doesn't have these issues

Just changing the chain and piston rings on my 318d
I already replaced piston rings.
      10-10-2023, 12:38 PM   #34
ViA
ViA
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G30, F34, E90

Quote:
I already replaced piston rings.
how did you solve it, i have the same problem?!
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2023, 07:35 AM   #35
speedbirdblack
Private
Sri Lanka
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViA View Post
how did you solve it, i have the same problem?!
I had to rebuild the engine due to snapped timing chain. All internals are new apart from crankshaft. 10k Kms since then and done 1st oil change. No more oil top up now.
      10-12-2023, 01:15 PM   #36
ViA
ViA
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G30, F34, E90

Quote:
I had to rebuild the engine due to snapped timing chain. All internals are new apart from crankshaft. 10k Kms since then and done 1st oil change. No more oil top up now.
so the problem was the piston rings?

mine 318d constantly regener. dpf every 50km and I have an oil consumption of 1l/2000km
everything else is ok, even the chain is fine
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 11:32 PM   #37
speedbirdblack
Private
Sri Lanka
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=ViA;30564561]so the problem was the piston rings?

mine 318d constantly regener. dpf every 50km and I have an oil consumption of 1l/2000km
everything else is ok, even the chain is fine

Probably the valve seal.i had only 70k milles when chain snapped.
I have noticed the unusual regen too. Beemerlink shows dpf outside the parameters, quite a high value soot build up.