F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Rear window defroster not working
GetBMWParts

01-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
Derekrpd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Xdrive

Rear window defroster not working

Tried using my rear window defroster last night and it wasn't working. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, any remedies you could suggest? Possibly a fuse?? Really don't want to waste a full day of my car being tied up at the dealership just to get this fixed but it is a bit a nuisance. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekrpd View Post
Tried using my rear window defroster last night and it wasn't working. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, any remedies you could suggest? Possibly a fuse?? Really don't want to waste a full day of my car being tied up at the dealership just to get this fixed but it is a bit a nuisance. Thanks.
Just a reminder, before too much investigation. Battery condition and other consumer loads can mean the heated rear screen (high load) can be 'clocked' to a reduced output by energy management.

I've had this before, in my E91, worked fine once other electrical loads were switched off.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #3
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekrpd View Post
Got a voltage/multi-meter? Test power to the array by testing the tabs from the c-pillar. That will eliminate the fuse and relay.

Check for scratches on the INSIDE of the window. Big one that spans many of the lines could be the problem - again test continuity across scratches.

Problem is with single or more array problems is that it requires a new window!

Come on, now, Get it fixed, I don't want you backing into me!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 12:13 PM   #4
reedo31
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3-series

Did you managed to get this fixed?? I have been having the same issue, don't really want to go dealership if its just a fuse replacement.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Get yourself a diagnosis kit. I will tell you
      07-22-2023, 06:38 AM   #6
zrile
Private First Class
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320xd

Bringing up from dead.... i have f31, 2014. i lost coding options for ihka. Diagnostics said short circuit to passenger side temp wheel short circuit. Few months i was ignoring it because everything works, and sometimes diagnostics said rear window defroster not working due to low power output. But it works..... i found out today broken something that goes under plastic cover. On left hinge.... is that heater broken mass or what?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 12:48 PM   #7
zrile
Private First Class
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320xd

Update: i removed roof spoiler, and found out tatcthat thin thing is a bridge for 0 ground mass, from rear windshield to trunk over hinge. Just used thin metal (i found that thin in my garage) and made new one and connected on a hinge. It is not related to glass heating or hvac.....🤣🤦‍♂️ but my problem still persist, window heating works normally, but error is still here as low power output, and i cannot use coding in bimmerlink. Not that i have something to code on ihka, but it is annoying that i have problem and dont know how to solve it.
Appreciate 1