F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > DIY Painted Rims?
proTUNING Freaks

03-29-2018, 04:00 PM   #1
carolinamatt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi

Question DIY Painted Rims?

Just got my new to me Jet Black '14 328xi a couple weeks ago. It's my first real car purchase and my first BMW, and I've been absolutely loving it to this point, (despite the constant struggle of keeping it clean in the rainy days we've had since). I'd consider moving up to totally new wheels/tires, but I've got a lot of life left on the tires that came on the car, and I don't think I want to sink the money into 17" wheels. (I'd rather wait until the tires are bald and move up to an 18 or 19" at that point).

What I'm wondering about is if anyone has had experience with the Rustoleum or Duplicolor spray paint for wheels. I'm curious about painting my stock rims in the graphite color; don't think I want to go for the murdered out look but think the darker gray would be a nice compromise between aggressive and clean. However, I want to avoid anything that'll look poorly done or cheap, which is my major concern about using these paints. I've seen photos that look great but would love to hear first hand experience if anyone has any.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Wheel paint works fine if you know what you're doing. Before I sold my last car I painted the wheels to get them looking good and they came out very nice. But I know how to paint, and more important how to prep, and have the tools to do it. On the subject of the 17s, keep them for winter tires, put summers on the 18s or 19s you end up getting.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]

03-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #4
carolinamatt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
But I know how to paint, and more important how to prep, and have the tools to do it. On the subject of the 17s, keep them for winter tires, put summers on the 18s or 19s you end up getting.
Thanks for the input. I've seen the video below and nothing there makes it seem too difficult; is there more to it that you think is necessary to make it look well done?

As far as winter/summer tires go, I'm not in an area that gets lots of bad winter weather so I don't know at this point that I'll go that route instead of general tires. something to more seriously consider a little bit down the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 06:37 PM   #5
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinamatt View Post
Thanks for the input. I've seen the video below and nothing there makes it seem too difficult; is there more to it that you think is necessary to make it look well done?

As far as winter/summer tires go, I'm not in an area that gets lots of bad winter weather so I don't know at this point that I'll go that route instead of general tires. something to more seriously consider a little bit down the road.
Unless wheels are powder coated, you will experience severe issues in the future. Essentially, you will end up with permanently discolored wheels.

People painting prior to selling are just totally fucking the next owner.

Then again, as we see daily, including this thread, not everyone is a saint.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1482439

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 04-03-2018 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #6
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
What IK6SPEED said...powder coating.

IK6SPEED4487.00
      03-29-2018, 08:22 PM   #7
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

yah, I would powder coat if you're really trying to get them looking right. also, no matter how well they are painted/coated, some wheels just don't look good in anything other than silver. not sure what wheels your car is equipped with, but I would imagine the base 5 spoke design would look cheap painted black/gray/gunmetal or whatever else no matter how well it is done.
      03-29-2018, 09:20 PM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The main issue with prep is if there are any defects on the wheel before painting they'll still be there after painting. It's like the sanding with multiple grits required to prep sheet metal for painting, but a lot more difficult due to the compound curves and small crevices on wheels. Commercial wheel re-conditioners usually prep with sandblasting, but that's not an option for the average DIY job.
I'd go with summers/winters even in Virginia since the major expense there is the second set of wheels, and you're buying those anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 11:28 PM   #9
TXDaddy
Joint Chiefer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i XDrive

Powder coating is as risky as any modification; it can turn out shitty, and it is permanent (dont believe me - google powder coat fails). The wheels I have - OEM 442 19" staggered - suffer from a well known condition called "white worming" where there is corrosion under the lacquer. Many 'diamond cut' wheels have this, and mine were practically new. Powder coating FAILS here, so the BEST alternative is to PLASTI DIP them to PROTECT them, and stop the "worming." God forbid you bring that up here in the powder coat shop owner's forum. It looks as good as any finish, and is completely reversible. You can go gunmetal, copper, black, or whatever you please, and the results look as good as same-as-1970-tech powder coating. Lose the flip phone. Yes, it is inexpensive, but that is a bonus IMHO. Not everyone in this world wastes money when they don't have to. As for cheap looking - thats powder coating all the way. Side by side powder coating is very easy to distinguish vs oem; manufacturers dont powder coat ( why do you think that is?). The direction has been more toward the "frozen" look these days, and that aint powder coating...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 08:41 AM   #10
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDaddy View Post
Powder coating is as risky as any modification; it can turn out shitty, and it is permanent (dont believe me - google powder coat fails). The wheels I have - OEM 442 19" staggered - suffer from a well known condition called "white worming" where there is corrosion under the lacquer. Many 'diamond cut' wheels have this, and mine were practically new. Powder coating FAILS here, so the BEST alternative is to PLASTI DIP them to PROTECT them, and stop the "worming." God forbid you bring that up here in the powder coat shop owner's forum. It looks as good as any finish, and is completely reversible. You can go gunmetal, copper, black, or whatever you please, and the results look as good as same-as-1970-tech powder coating. Lose the flip phone. Yes, it is inexpensive, but that is a bonus IMHO. Not everyone in this world wastes money when they don't have to. As for cheap looking - thats powder coating all the way. Side by side powder coating is very easy to distinguish vs oem; manufacturers dont powder coat ( why do you think that is?). The direction has been more toward the "frozen" look these days, and that aint powder coating...
with all due respect, manufacturers certainly don't plasti-dip either. IMHO, when done correctly powder coating looks quite good, and from what I've seen/heard, holds up well. again, just my 2 cents.
      03-31-2018, 02:48 PM   #11
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Plasti dip is fun for a quick cheap way to change up the color without the permenent change of paint or powder coating

I've done both and trust me there is a HUGE difference

I had my enkei rpf1's powder coated by a reputable shop in white to do a white on white type-R look on my NSX ...paid about $300 for all four and they came out amazing looking. White glossy and smooth as silk.

I also did my OEM wheels in plalsti dip while I waited on my rpf1's

It was cheap and easy, but no where near what a powder coated wheel would look like and it was easy to collect brake dust and a bitch to clean... It also stains very easy....and it was a bit of a PITA trying to get it off when I was trying to clean them up to sale....

Plasti dip is fun for maybe trying out a different color, but hardly anything you want for a long period of time.

Btw, most if not all wheel manufactures that offer white, green, red and other wheel colors powder coat them.

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 04-03-2018 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 10:38 PM   #12
TXDaddy
Joint Chiefer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post

Plasti dip is fun for maybe trying out a different color, but hardly anything you want for a long period of time.
You hit the nail on the head - its for peeople who like to do shit to their car all the time that has no permanence. Drinking beer in the garage while wife deals with the laundry and the kids. Base brakes are the key - I have like zero dust, but mash them all the time on my new alternate way home (lots of curves and hills)...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #13
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinamatt View Post
Just got my new to me Jet Black '14 328xi a couple weeks ago. It's my first real car purchase and my first BMW, and I've been absolutely loving it to this point, (despite the constant struggle of keeping it clean in the rainy days we've had since). I'd consider moving up to totally new wheels/tires, but I've got a lot of life left on the tires that came on the car, and I don't think I want to sink the money into 17" wheels. (I'd rather wait until the tires are bald and move up to an 18 or 19" at that point).

What I'm wondering about is if anyone has had experience with the Rustoleum or Duplicolor spray paint for wheels. I'm curious about painting my stock rims in the graphite color; don't think I want to go for the murdered out look but think the darker gray would be a nice compromise between aggressive and clean. However, I want to avoid anything that'll look poorly done or cheap, which is my major concern about using these paints. I've seen photos that look great but would love to hear first hand experience if anyone has any.

Thanks in advance!
And this is what happens to the next owner after someone reprints their wheels, as described in the responses above, prior to trading in their car.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1482439
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Only if they're not properly prepped first, also described in the responses above.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 05:51 PM   #15
TXDaddy
Joint Chiefer
United_States
Rep

Yes, Yes, spend 20 times as much a one time powder coat, and be damn sure that's the change you want, because its permanent, and your vehicle will now be out of certified specification.

If you need replacement under warranty - no dice - you pay for new wheel, and you pay for another powder coat (and mounting and balancing and shop fees, etc.).

Just go ahead and buy another set of wheels too if you are on a lease, cause BMW will not take powder coated wheels back.

Wait - powder coating really does sound like the smarter choice - great advice here!!!
Mojave Metallic | Premium | Driver Assistance | Cold Weather | Navigation | 442M 19" Staggered | Gloss Black Kidneys & Exhaust Tips | Ferrari Red Start Button | M Sport Pedals | LCI Sills | Hikari LED Fogs & Brights | VIP Moto 55W HID | FRG Flat Black Caliper Covers | CF Rear Spoiler, Eyebrows, and Roundels | Huper Optik 30% Ceramic Tint
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 06:07 PM   #16
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, Yes, spend 20 times as much a one time powder coat, and be damn sure that's the change you want, because its permanent, and your vehicle will now be out of certified specification.

If you need replacement under warranty - no dice - you pay for new wheel, and you pay for another powder coat (and mounting and balancing and shop fees, etc.).

Just go ahead and buy another set of wheels too if you are on a lease, cause BMW will not take powder coated wheels back.

Wait - powder coating really does sound like the smarter choice - great advice here!!!
1) BMW doesn’t lease used cars

2) painting a wheel does not void any warranty

3) CPO does not cover wheels.

4) There are no warranties on wheels in the original 4 year warranty unless factory defect, so painting will have no impact there either.

carolinamatt

Some posters are clueless. Same as most forums on the web. Just pay attention and make mental notes of those with bad info. Skip over their posts in the future or put them on ignore.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 06:35 PM   #17
TXDaddy
Joint Chiefer
United_States
Rep

Wow, can't handle a difference of opinion eh? Bet you're loved. My points were for the processes in general, not this particular case. You really nailed it on the CPO lease argument I wasn't making though

1. For those wanting to improve a new car they have leased.

2. Powder coating most assuredly is a permanent modification that can void a warranty.

3/4 The only warranty on wheels ARE DEFECTS.

But you did avoid the 1 time nature, 20x cost, and having to powder coat match any replacement wheel...
Mojave Metallic | Premium | Driver Assistance | Cold Weather | Navigation | 442M 19" Staggered | Gloss Black Kidneys & Exhaust Tips | Ferrari Red Start Button | M Sport Pedals | LCI Sills | Hikari LED Fogs & Brights | VIP Moto 55W HID | FRG Flat Black Caliper Covers | CF Rear Spoiler, Eyebrows, and Roundels | Huper Optik 30% Ceramic Tint
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #18
TXDaddy
Joint Chiefer
United_States
Rep

I think you may have confused my certified specification statement. I was referring to the ability to make a returned lease car a certified car for resale. Permanently changing wheel will void that ability, and NO dealer will let it pass...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #19
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, can't handle a difference of opinion eh? Bet you're loved. My points were for the processes in general, not this particular case. You really nailed it on the CPO lease argument I wasn't making though

2. Powder coating most assuredly is a permanent modification that can void a warranty.

But you did avoid the 1 time nature, 20x cost, and having to powder coat match any replacement wheel...
So you posted a bunch of random facts in THIS thread even though you knew they did not apply to this thread.

People viewed the thread you started looking for praise on your “wheels”.

You got the opposite.

The people have spoken.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1476038
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #20
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I don't like to get involved in disputes on this forum but... excuse me?

"Powder coating most assuredly is a permanent modification that can void a warranty."

what warranty is there on wheels that can be voided when powder coated? the only situation in which I see this being plausible would be a brand new or CPO'ed car having a defect in the wheel i.e. a crack, like you said. even then though, we aren't dealing with a warranty situation, rather we are dealing with the dealer selling a product that was defective to begin with and replacing it. if you crack a wheel pulling out of the dealership lot right after buying it, it will not be "warrantied", and you will be on the hook for this. and even if wheels were warrantied (which they literally never ever are) powder coating would definitely not void that warranty. just as tinting your taillights, for example, would not void the warranty on the taillight if it were to malfunction/break.

in the end carolinamatt, spray painting, powder coating and plastidipping are all viable options to change the color of your wheels. if you want them to look OEM and as good as you can make an after market wheel color change look, then powder coat them. if you're on a budget and don't really care about long-term durability or are not sure what color you like or don't care about having the finish look perfect, plasti dip them. and now that I think about it, I can't really think of a good scenario to spray paint them, probably don't do that. dip or powder coat, for any of the reasons listed above.
      04-03-2018, 10:25 PM   #21
TXDaddy
Joint Chiefer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
So you posted a bunch of random facts in THIS thread even though you knew they did not apply to this thread.

People viewed the thread you started looking for praise on your “wheels”.

You got the opposite.

The people have spoken.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1476038
Um, you came back to this thread, and posted the link which revived this one. I simply used both to expose you for who you are. Then you link to another thread that has nothing to do with this one to blow the whole point you were supposedly just trying to make. I'm the idiot eh? How many accounts you got here bro?

As for THIS thread, my points were pertinent. Powder coating has downsides. Yes it is durable, but its irreversible. Some people want a custom look, and don't want to spend thousands just to have some imitation of a higher trim which you feel is the only way to improve a BMW. I have always used forums to learn and assist people when I can, not insult, condescend, and take offense. Seriously, are you really here to help? Did someone dip you as a child or something?

Splitting hairs on the warranty statement. Wheel cracks in a spot that isn't road related, I can see a refusal even when it is a defect. Still a salient point, and it does not invalidate the other statements: 20x cheaper, reversible, easy to add and match to a replacement, looks as good or better...

Oh, and here is what I wish F30 forum was like - not to far from here at all, just need a few to go...

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1424956
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 10:53 PM   #22
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Um, you came back to this thread, and posted the link which revived this one. I simply used both to expose you for who you are. Then you link to another thread that has nothing to do with this one to blow the whole point you were supposedly just trying to make. I'm the idiot eh? How many accounts you got here bro?

As for THIS thread, my points were pertinent. Powder coating has downsides. Yes it is durable, but its irreversible. Some people want a custom look, and don't want to spend thousands just to have some imitation of a higher trim which you feel is the only way to improve a BMW. I have always used forums to learn and assist people when I can, not insult, condescend, and take offense. Seriously, are you really here to help? Did someone dip you as a child or something?

Splitting hairs on the warranty statement. Wheel cracks in a spot that isn't road related, I can see a refusal even when it is a defect. Still a salient point, and it does not invalidate the other statements: 20x cheaper, reversible, easy to add and match to a replacement, looks as good or better...

Oh, and here is what I wish F30 forum was like - not to far from here at all, just need a few to go...

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1424956
Yes, 1 person has been exposed, lol.

Appreciate 0