F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2014 f30 N55 Bootmod3 Fuel Pressure Issue w Stage 2
Studio RSR

11-04-2021, 05:54 PM   #89
SoCalM235iR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235iR

Latest logs with MAF unplugged and a good 300+ miles since flashed. FP is stable. Some timing corrections and weird lean AFR events that may be related to pre-ignition, since I see timing corrections but no knock registered. I see throttle closures but i believe that is because the boost target was reached or perhaps to address lean AFR's?

With the FP stable, I am considering adding some E85 after I run the new MAF to see if that helps the timing corrections.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6184...729b695b0719cd
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6184...729b69de5fab72

I should have my new MAF tomorrow. I plan to install and plug it in without resetting adaptations or flashing new. Once I have miles on that configuration I'll post up new logs which hopefully will confirm that the FP problem was caused by the original MAF.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 03:23 PM   #90
rphz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435xi

I'm really curious to hear if this resolves your issue as I'm having the same problem and getting the same codes. We have similar setups, same car (mfg date of 8/13) but I'm running MHD. Recently installed a Fabspeed catted down pipe and started getting a fuel system crash only during track sessions but within 10 minutes of driving 10/10. Has happened on stage 1 and 2, 91 octane gas. I've had some overheating issues as well, but this problem didn't appear until the downpipe was installed. Maybe just a coincidence, but I'm suspicious of that upgrade.

It doesn't look like you ever swapped out the fuel control module. Just curious if you've considered that as I've been told mine may be overheating and/or failing. I've also been told it's the HPFP that is overheating and/or failing.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 05:20 PM   #91
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphz View Post
I'm really curious to hear if this resolves your issue as I'm having the same problem and getting the same codes. We have similar setups, same car (mfg date of 8/13) but I'm running MHD. Recently installed a Fabspeed catted down pipe and started getting a fuel system crash only during track sessions but within 10 minutes of driving 10/10. Has happened on stage 1 and 2, 91 octane gas. I've had some overheating issues as well, but this problem didn't appear until the downpipe was installed. Maybe just a coincidence, but I'm suspicious of that upgrade.

It doesn't look like you ever swapped out the fuel control module. Just curious if you've considered that as I've been told mine may be overheating and/or failing. I've also been told it's the HPFP that is overheating and/or failing.
Are you sure its the same issue? His is very unique. Can you post logs?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 03:07 PM   #92
rphz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Are you sure its the same issue? His is very unique. Can you post logs?
Until we both resolve our issues, hard to say if it's the same problem. I'm getting all of the same codes and an unexpected fuel crash without ethanol or crazy mods. I only have one log when this happened as I didn't having logging on the first time it occurred. Temperature was around 80 degrees and this is at ~5k feet above sea level. This was on a track, so you won't see the typical WOT rowing through gears...I came around two corners and then went WOT into a straight when the fuel dropped out.

Here's the log right before and after it happened: https://datazap.me/u/rphz/fuel-crash...data=4-9-19-20

Curious what you think and TIA.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 03:34 PM   #93
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphz View Post
Until we both resolve our issues, hard to say if it's the same problem. I'm getting all of the same codes and an unexpected fuel crash without ethanol or crazy mods. I only have one log when this happened as I didn't having logging on the first time it occurred. Temperature was around 80 degrees and this is at ~5k feet above sea level. This was on a track, so you won't see the typical WOT rowing through gears...I came around two corners and then went WOT into a straight when the fuel dropped out.

Here's the log right before and after it happened: https://datazap.me/u/rphz/fuel-crash...data=4-9-19-20

Curious what you think and TIA.
Your issue does not appear the be the same. You have a sudden loss of fuel pressure and then the car goes lean and pegs STFTs in the positive direction and you let off.

His is the opposite - the car goes suddenly rich (way beyond normal) and the car can't supply sufficient fuel to keep up. His issue is with abnormal fuel trims driving the rich condition that leads to fuel pressure crash.

In your case you just lose fuel pressure, but it doesnt look like it has anything to do with fuel trims, AFR target, etc. The reason for his crash is clear, but yours is not, and does not seem to be the same reason.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 10:04 PM   #94
SoCalM235iR
Private First Class
Rep

The situation on my car is a case of fuel trims and adaptations causing FP crashes.

I'd look at your LPFP and EKP. If the pump is wearing out it will draw more amps at WOT on the track the EKP can overheat.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #95
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

SoCalE90 any updates / resolutions?
      12-01-2021, 05:30 PM   #96
SoCalM235iR
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
SoCalE90 any updates / resolutions?
I have been meaning to post an update.
PTF had sent me another tune a while back that is basically a weak stage 1 tune that doesn’t crash the fuel system but is even less performance than the JB4 I removed for the BM3 platform. I was expecting more than 13 psi boost for my $600.

In an effort to cover all the possible causes, I removed all intake plumbing from the air cleaner to the turbo hot side charge pipe, looking for intake leaks. I found nothing and reinstalled everything and smoke tested the entire intake tract with zero leaks found.

As it stands with the issue unresolved, I’m running the OTS ACN stage 2 tune with the MAF unplugged and that seems to be the best compromise. The logs still show some odd lean swings, which the system tries to address, but not to the point of completely crashing the fuel pressure.

I’m not expecting anything more from PTF’s to try to “tune” this problem out. Once again, the car runs fine with the stock tune. I reviewed my old JB4 logs and they don’t show any of the lean events or severe fuel pressure drops I get with the BM3.

If I was committed to this car long-term, I’d probably try MHD, but I’m done throwing money at this problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 06:03 PM   #97
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalE90 View Post
I have been meaning to post an update.
PTF had sent me another tune a while back that is basically a weak stage 1 tune that doesn’t crash the fuel system but is even less performance than the JB4 I removed for the BM3 platform. I was expecting more than 13 psi boost for my $600.

In an effort to cover all the possible causes, I removed all intake plumbing from the air cleaner to the turbo hot side charge pipe, looking for intake leaks. I found nothing and reinstalled everything and smoke tested the entire intake tract with zero leaks found.

As it stands with the issue unresolved, I’m running the OTS ACN stage 2 tune with the MAF unplugged and that seems to be the best compromise. The logs still show some odd lean swings, which the system tries to address, but not to the point of completely crashing the fuel pressure.

I’m not expecting anything more from PTF’s to try to “tune” this problem out. Once again, the car runs fine with the stock tune. I reviewed my old JB4 logs and they don’t show any of the lean events or severe fuel pressure drops I get with the BM3.

If I was committed to this car long-term, I’d probably try MHD, but I’m done throwing money at this problem.
Can you post your most recent logs on stage 2 ACN with MAF unplugged?

EDIT: also did you ever install a new MAF?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 06:09 PM   #98
SoCalM235iR
Private First Class
Rep

New MAF installed, made zero difference.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6198...90c62d319cf171

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6198...0b436c0e83015c
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 06:35 PM   #99
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Are you able to add some of the RAM logging channels? Notable the HPFP angle (final) one as that seems to be the HPFP "duty cycle" and is something we look at now for HPFP crashes. It's discussed a bit here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1868795&page=5

Interestingly you still do have some HPFP dips, but it doesnt seem to be for the same reason as before. The LTFT are basically zero (1 in the logs) and only small STFTs, and no rich condition as before that was causing the dips. The the dips dont seem to be significant enough to affect AFRs or fuel trims.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 08:18 PM   #100
SoCalM235iR
Private First Class
Rep

I've added HPFP Angle Final and HPFP Regulator Output to the dashboard for future logs. A bit slammed with another project, so I'll add some new logs to this thread when I get a break.

The crazy LTFT's seem to be tied to MAF output, so I'm running unplugged which seems to have a slight negative impact on fuel mileage but does allow a stg 2 tune with decent power. The fact that I don't see any of this with the stock tune or the JB4 again points to the tune or platform.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 08:32 PM   #101
designatedposter
Captain
Rep

Ptf/halim has been unresponsive with me as well for a week as we try to figure out my particular issue of dme going to open loop when I shift under wot. 6mt here with wmi. I was on test map 3 which sounds similar to yours with boost around 13 psi. I'll continue to ping him at least until he positively gives up.

He's been having me do logs with MAF disconnected. Makes no difference in my case.
      12-01-2021, 08:54 PM   #102
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ptf/halim has been unresponsive with me as well for a week as we try to figure out my particular issue of dme going to open loop when I shift under wot. 6mt here with wmi. I was on test map 3 which sounds similar to yours with boost around 13 psi. I'll continue to ping him at least until he positively gives up.

He's been having me do logs with MAF disconnected. Makes no difference in my case.
The DME goes into open loop during transient conditions, which includes shifts somtimes and right at tip in. Its in my logs and nearly every single other i have seen on both BM3 and MHD, not sure why that's a problem? It usually lasts less than a second. Unless yours goes into open loop and doesnt come back
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 08:57 PM   #103
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I've added HPFP Angle Final and HPFP Regulator Output to the dashboard for future logs. A bit slammed with another project, so I'll add some new logs to this thread when I get a break.

The crazy LTFT's seem to be tied to MAF output, so I'm running unplugged which seems to have a slight negative impact on fuel mileage but does allow a stg 2 tune with decent power. The fact that I don't see any of this with the stock tune or the JB4 again points to the tune or platform.
Agree the LTFT/STFT issue seemed to be tied to MAF which is why i thought that would be a good test in the first place . It does seem like there is some tuning issue related to MAF/LTFT adaptations. That's why ive wondered if they can just disable LTFTs so you can run with the MAF...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 06:51 AM   #104
designatedposter
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:

The DME goes into open loop during transient conditions, which includes shifts somtimes and right at tip in. Its in my logs and nearly every single other i have seen on both BM3 and MHD, not sure why that's a problem? It usually lasts less than a second. Unless yours goes into open loop and doesnt come back
Stays open loop upwards of 800rpm and that's much longer than others, albeit most people are auto so those go right back to closed loop within 100 rpm.

This effects me because I am using wmi as a fuel supplement, so when in open loop, hpfp is unable to give enough fuel and crashes. All the meantime the wmi is flowing and afr is rich.