F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > optimal seating/driving position
ARMA SPEED

12-01-2021, 10:52 AM   #1
Santi
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive F30 N20

Talking optimal seating/driving position

waddup peeps.

does anyone else feel like they are peeking or looking over their steering wheel/dash when driving? (ie: steering wheel/dash feels high so you tip toe to look over - feeling).

i understand everyone is different and have their own preferences, and that the driving position is highly adjustable. i've tried diff settings, and even watched a few youtube vids, some specific to bmw, and i still feel like i'm 'surrounded' and below everything else, and have to look over my dash/steering wheel to get a comfortable view thru my windshield.

this could just be in my head, but i don't recall having this feeling on other cars, including our old bmw 325i, 735 from the 90s. recently drove the 2021 330, although it feels high, i didn't feel like i had to peek over.

gf has an audi a4 and it just feels diff seating/driving position wise. our other cars are civic and mazda3, and only the bm gives me this feeling. the only other car that i remember that had a similar driving feeling was a rental ford fusion hybrid - where i felt like the windows/windshield and overall cabin design too compact.

something trivial, but i hope it makes sense, and wondering if anyone else has a similar experience/thought.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

When I went to the BMW driving school, their recommendations were the following to maximize your effectiveness to driving and minimize fatigue:
1) Position seat front/back so that you can place your right foot flush to the floor under the brake petal.
2) The seat back needs to be positioned so when you grab the steering wheel at 10 and 2, your arms/elbow make a 90 degree angle.
3) I find you need to left the front of the seat base up so that the base/back "craddles" your arse. If done properly, your weight is more at the back of the base (so your thighs don't go numb), and during braking you aren't flopping forward.
4) Raise/lower the seat base so that your thighs aren't off the seat base, nor is there pressure under your things from the front of the seat base.

You need to play with 3 & 4 since they impact each other, but I find if the base is raise enough, I don't have that issue you mentioned. On our Audi SQ5, I do though.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 01:39 PM   #3
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
I am 5’8” and set my seat fairly high and I have no problem seeing forward. I follow the guidelines shown in this video -
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

12-01-2021, 01:49 PM   #4
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I'm only 5'9" and even though I'm in a 4-series with the seat bottom as low as it can go, I still easily see over the steering wheel and my shoulders are above the window sill to the side.

I was just noting on the drive to work today how the visibility over the dash and down the hood is really pretty good. Only the thick A-pillars ruin what is actually pretty decent visibility to the front and sides.

I use a very upright seating posture and base my distance fore/aft based on the ability to comfortably depress the clutch fully while keeping my foot firmly planted on the pedal (not using my toes). From there I adjust the steering wheel based on the method found in several of those BMW videos.
      12-01-2021, 02:11 PM   #5
Santi
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I am 5’8” and set my seat fairly high and I have no problem seeing forward. I follow the guidelines shown in this video -
thanks peeps. i've tried a few methods based on what i've read/seen.

i like this vid actually. saw it before and tried the steps.

my most recent setup, i've reduced that 'weird over peeking/looking' feeling, but now i feel too close to the roof. the reco is a hand or fist width, and when i get to the point that i feel ok, the space is pretty much just half a hand width or a couple of fingers width .

i even tried playing around with the tilt. and i just sometimes feel annoyed when driving and adding extra strain on my back and neck with this whole peeking feeling hahhahaha.

i'm not even that tall (5'7) and i have an ave build.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 03:20 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I am 5’8” and set my seat fairly high and I have no problem seeing forward. I follow the guidelines shown in this video
Excellent video for getting to the best driving position.

I'm 5' 9" and any BMW I get in, a minute or so and all set to go, without any issue.

The other factor many seem to get wrong through bad positioning, is not seeing all the instrument display through the steering wheel. If you can't see ALL the display, (from top of the dials to the mileage readout along the bottom), without moving your head, almost certain it's a bad seating position.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2021, 04:10 PM   #7
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, 330i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Excellent video for getting to the best driving position.

I'm 5' 9" and any BMW I get in, a minute or so and all set to go, without any issue.

The other factor many seem to get wrong through bad positioning, is not seeing all the instrument display through the steering wheel. If you can't see ALL the display, (from top of the dials to the mileage readout along the bottom), without moving your head, almost certain it's a bad seating position.
I'd argue with you on being able to see all of the gauges through the wheel, doesn't matter where I sit, I can not see the top AND the bottom at any time. The opening simply isn't large enough, I sit lower than my wife, neither of us move the wheel, and the top is level with the top of the dash (or nearly so) and I can never see the bottom digital display unless u lean forward. If I move the wheel down to see it, I can't read the top of the speedo. Alternatively if I move the seat to view it, same result. Couldn't care less overall, all I check it for is the next oil change distance.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 04:15 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarium81 View Post
I'd argue with you on being able to see all of the gauges through the wheel, doesn't matter where I sit, I can not see the top AND the bottom at any time. The opening simply isn't large enough, I sit lower than my wife, neither of us move the wheel, and the top is level with the top of the dash (or nearly so) and I can never see the bottom digital display unless u lean forward. If I move the wheel down to see it, I can't read the top of the speedo. Alternatively if I move the seat to view it, same result. Couldn't care less overall, all I check it for is the next oil change distance.
Got to ask, how tall are you?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 11:54 PM   #9
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Got to ask, how tall are you?

Not outside of normal height lol. 5 ft 9 or 10.
Seat is back far enough that my left foot can sit flat on the dead pedal.it never does, that's uncomfortable, I usually sit with my left foot back as far as it can go with my knee able to touch the steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 02:36 AM   #10
Bob Loblah
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW F36 440i xDrive

I'm liking this discussion. Thanks OP for bringing this up.

Recently, I've been trying with different sitting position. Before I had it set so it's more similar to what the video is showing. More forward, bend the knees and elbows. However, I had felt stress on my right knee as if it was always in the air without support. Maybe I need to play with the tilt more?

Now, I sit way back, so my right foot simply rests on the gas pedal without depressing it. I find this to be most comfortable for both accelerating and braking. Although I still feel I am too far from the gas pedal while just about the right distance for the brake pedal.

Anyone can suggest how I can improve my position/comfort further?

I'm 5'11" and my head is about one hand width from the room. I thought German cars are more designed for taller people? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 07:08 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Not outside of normal height lol. 5 ft 9 or 10.
At that height, it is possible to set up the seat and driving position to see the whole display. You appear to have a seating position that doesn't give complete vision of the display.
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50
      12-02-2021, 08:10 AM   #12
InsanateePrawn
Registered
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 330E M-Sport

Quote:
At that height, it is possible to set up the seat and driving position to see the whole display. You appear to have a seating position that doesn't give complete vision of the display.
I've always found it difficult with my long legs and short arms to see the whole dash. Usually I just adjust the steering wheel in a way that sacrifices the bottom bit of the Odometer display in the dash, but gives me good arm/hand position on the wheel.

I figure seeing my odometer isn't very important, but seeing the rest of the dash and having good posture is.
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50
      12-02-2021, 08:49 AM   #13
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Same here, can't see the whole dash. I'm 6'0" and have to lean forward to see the stuff at the bottom like mileage.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 09:03 AM   #14
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Only other adjustment is how far out the wheel is, about 3 inches.
Not sure why you think it's possible to see the whole dash when it's clearly not possible for quite a few folks.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Only other adjustment is how far out the wheel is, about 3 inches.
Not sure why you think it's possible to see the whole dash when it's clearly not possible for quite a few folks.
I come from the perspective that BMW don't design a dash to be partly obscured or invisible, when using what is accepted as a good driving position, similar to what they recommend in their driving schools.

Also, this has been a complaint for many generations of BMW vehicles. Often sorted by using a better driving position.

When I get in a BMW, (even in the showroom), first thing I do is set the seat and see if I can see all of the display with the best driving position. This is a priority in any car I drive, BMW or not. I cannot remember trying one BMW where it is not possible to set up the driving position, which leaves the display clear to see.

BTW, I'm not alone in this observation, been debated for years.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 10:57 AM   #16
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
I come from the perspective that BMW don't design a dash to be partly obscured or invisible, when using what is accepted as a good driving position, similar to what they recommend in their driving schools.

Also, this has been a complaint for many generations of BMW vehicles. Often sorted by using a better driving position.

When I get in a BMW, (even in the showroom), first thing I do is set the seat and see if I can see all of the display with the best driving position. This is a priority in any car I drive, BMW or not. I cannot remember trying one BMW where it is not possible to set up the driving position, which leaves the display clear to see.

BTW, I'm not alone in this observation, been debated for years.
You don't really need to see the whole dash, do you?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 10:12 AM   #17
Santi
Canada
Rep

dash - i don't see the entire thing. current setting is that i see the speed dials and the bottom bit is slightly covered. i prefer to see the entire thing, but haven't found a way unless i lean forward or sit very closely or push the steering wheel all the way in (which on its own, makes me reach forward considering my legs' position.

tilt - i have it levelled. i'm ave build, and regular thighs, but if i tilt the seat, then i get that 'pressure' on the back of my thighs, unless i set the seat forward to have my legs more bent.

fore/aft - i can stretch my left leg and put my foot flat on the fake pedal. although, i find it easier and more comfortable for me to be a little bit farther out so that my left foot is not completely flat. i don't generally have my foot resting on the fake pedal while driving.

height - my main issue is being too close to the roof to be in a good comfortable position.

backrest - i don't see a lot of people commenting on this. on the bm, i have this set more upright. it feels uncomfortable if it's reclined more. on my other cars, they are more reclined but doesn't give me that uncomfy feeling. civic the most reclined, mazda and audi are abt the same, bm is the most upright.

i think i'm pretty ok with everything else, except for the seat height and being awfully close to the roof.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 10:33 AM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santi View Post
dash - i don't see the entire thing. current setting is that i see the speed dials and the bottom bit is slightly covered. i prefer to see the entire thing, but haven't found a way unless i lean forward or sit very closely or push the steering wheel all the way in (which on its own, makes me reach forward considering my legs' position.
Think about that statement again... Bring the wheel forward towards you.. Try it, the closer to your eyes the more of the display you see. No need to sit, or lean forward.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 11:12 AM   #19
Santi
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Think about that statement again... Bring the wheel forward towards you.. Try it, the closer to your eyes the more of the display you see. No need to sit, or lean forward.
i see what you're saying, and i have tried it. if i bring the wheel towards me, then my arms would be more bent almost having my forearms really close to the wheel, and it was just too close for me, and i just feel like the stereo typical 'old people' driving position (no offense to the older folks ).

you are right though, the closer the wheel is to me, the closer to my eyes, i see more of the display, but then comes the other things mainly my arms. so to extend my arm, i'd have to move my seat back or tilt a bit or recline the back rest more etc. i generally prefer a more upright position and i find that the more i recline the backrest, i get more neck fatigue.

i understand it's finding the right balance considering all of the factors, and we all know that if you change 1 thing, it affects the others. perhaps i just haven't found that optimal/balanced point. hence my post .

Last edited by Santi; 12-03-2021 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 01:41 PM   #20
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsanateePrawn View Post
I've always found it difficult with my long legs and short arms to see the whole dash. Usually I just adjust the steering wheel in a way that sacrifices the bottom bit of the Odometer display in the dash, but gives me good arm/hand position on the wheel.

I figure seeing my odometer isn't very important, but seeing the rest of the dash and having good posture is.
Aha! So I'm not the only person on the boards with the T-Rex body type. With any vehicle I am looking to pull the steering wheel out as far as it will go. I've sat in many cars at a dealer, messed with the sitting position and then had to walk away because the car doesn't fit me. Mercs fit me bets because the steering wheel comes back far enough. With many Italian cars in 80s and 90s I could set the seat to operate the pedals, but only reach the bottom third of the wheel, or reach all the wheel but be unable to get my leg under the column to work the brakes.

As for the "upright, old person bent arms" driving position, it's the one that gives the most control. Look at the onboard video in most racing formula based on road cars, like the WRC, NASCAR or DTM. All the drivers sit close to the wheel and pretty upright. Once you feet are right, you should be able to grasp the top of the wheel and still have some bend in your elbow.

I see too many young folk who sit way too far back and are unable to reach all the wheel without leaning forward. Think you can do that in a SHTF situation? Not happening. I asked one young guy why he sat so far back level with the pillar and unable to steer properly. His reply was that if he sat up, people would be able to see him. I guess that said more about him, the neighborhoods he drove in and the folk he hung with than his ability to drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 04:06 PM   #21
Santi
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
... His reply was that if he sat up, people would be able to see him. I guess that said more about him, the neighborhoods he drove in and the folk he hung with than his ability to drive.
this cracked me up. i had the similar convo with someone about getting tinted windows. i can't remember the tint% but you can't see thru it. the dude ended up having his windshield tinted (illegal) because it was cool and it made him anonymous while driving. he wasn't young young, i'd say mid to early 40s. he got a ticket and had to remove the tints. window tints were replaced with lighter %.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 06:14 PM   #22
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Seat position is all the way back where your back not touching the seat back .. your hand are all stretch out on top of the steering wheel.

You need a baseball cap and some chain around your neck as accessory while driving.

Low rider style.
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50