F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > *** OFFICIAL bootmod3 de-cat with OBD readiness THREAD***
Extreme Powerhouse

08-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #45
TerryGTX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Bmw 435xi M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryGTX View Post
So excited to let you guys know that my f32 n55 EWG passed emission test today with stock tune and catless downpipe and without any other mods (simulator or spacer) today.... if you are near Boston or in Massachusetts, you know it's hard to pass without cat. But my guy at a trusted shop just had the inspection stickered !!!!

So much effort spent on reading the posts in the forum ... purchased VRSF dp fix...looked through the tutorials.... nothing worked on EWG... until my guy told me the car needs to be driven in a specific manner so the monitors come on while still before the o2 sends a CEL... I don't know how he did it but he just drove it for some miles and had it passed! .. and he has done three cars successfully...all 2014+ N 55 EWG.
As I was prepping to do the same in AZ (get all readiness monitors set but O2), I was instructed to follow the following procedure:

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...or-Smog-Check/

The guy on the N55 FB page said he has done this a couple of times now and if you follow it exactly, it will get all your readiness monitors minus O2 ready for emissions. He said the trick is to try and follow this procedure while using an OBDII reader to watch your readiness monitors in real time. As soon as you had all but one monitor ready, drive straight to the testing station and get it tested. A good tip would be to try and do the driving procedure as close to the testing facility as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
That's awesome news. Any way that you can source the driving procedure and post it here?

Quote:
So excited to let you guys know that my f32 n55 EWG passed emission test today with stock tune and catless downpipe and without any other mods (simulator or spacer) today.... if you are near Boston or in Massachusetts, you know it's hard to pass without cat. But my guy at a trusted shop just had the inspection stickered !!!!

So much effort spent on reading the posts in the forum ... purchased VRSF dp fix...looked through the tutorials.... nothing worked on EWG... until my guy told me the car needs to be driven in a specific manner so the monitors come on while still before the o2 sends a CEL... I don't know how he did it but he just drove it for some miles and had it passed! .. and he has done three cars successfully...all 2014+ N 55 EWG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxio View Post
Quote:

The above is definitely possible - I recall drive cycling around 8 times and 1 of those times all monitors turned ready, but the CEL triggered shortly (within 5 miles of additional driving).

The other 7 times the CEL came on as soon as the monitors were "Ready".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
Quote:

As I was prepping to do the same in AZ (get all readiness monitors set but O2), I was instructed to follow the following procedure:

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...or-Smog-Check/

The guy on the N55 FB page said he has done this a couple of times now and if you follow it exactly, it will get all your readiness monitors minus O2 ready for emissions. He said the trick is to try and follow this procedure while using an OBDII reader to watch your readiness monitors in real time. As soon as you had all but one monitor ready, drive straight to the testing station and get it tested. A good tip would be to try and do the driving procedure as close to the testing facility as possible.
I will ask him when I pick up my car tomorrow. But it should be very similar to the linked. Yes. You will need to be watching the OBD2 monitors while performing the driving cycle.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #46
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Hi everyone -

With permission from Dzenan I wanted to share some information. Halim has supplied me with a MAP to test and report back in regards to "erratic throttle" behavior. I will be flashing the test map tonight and will report back with findings.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #47
TerryGTX
Private First Class
Rep

Yes. And there's one monitor not ready which is the catalyst.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Logicoeur988.00
      08-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #48
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Terry,

Were you running the stock tune when you passed?

Quote:

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 04:48 PM   #49
TerryGTX
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Terry,

Quote:
Yes. On the stock tune to pass the test. But I'm daily BM3 STG2 OTS
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 06:47 PM   #50
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Terry,

Quote:
Did you lock the DME?
      08-14-2018, 07:08 PM   #51
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
Quote:
Can you get your inspection early? Best bet is to swap out the DP after inspection.
Good question... I'm in NY. I have to look into that and see if I can. If so, I'll have a year to figure out the next one
Get inspected early. I got inspected 6 months early a year or so ago to beat the tint law effective date. Now I just have a guy who likes craft beer
      08-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #52
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Can you get your inspection early? Best bet is to swap out the DP after inspection.
Good question... I'm in NY. I have to look into that and see if I can. If so, I'll have a year to figure out the next one
Get inspected early. I got inspected 6 months early a year or so ago to beat the tint law effective date. Now I just have a guy who likes craft beer
Got it done today on a whim! Getting DP installed tomorrow AM.

JaredG_F301106.00
maxio19.00
      08-20-2018, 02:39 AM   #53
TerryGTX
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Terry,

Quote:
Did you lock the DME?
DME doesn't affect inspection I guess
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #54
GoodtoGo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

JaredG_F30 , What was the result of your followup readiness test with your stock edited map? Were you able to trigger full readiness?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 03:12 AM   #55
brikabrak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodtoGo View Post
JaredG_F30 , What was the result of your followup readiness test with your stock edited map? Were you able to trigger full readiness?
would like to know this as well...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 06:19 AM   #56
Hudsonvalley435
2015 435i xdrive- 6spd, cp, dp, fmic, bm3 stage 2
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 435i X

Catless dp and I had the CEL. Bought an L spacer and then bought the "mini cat" from big daddies garage and now it's all good.
The pipeline goes like this
D.P. - L spacer - "mini cat" - o2 sensor.
The car has FBO and bm3 stage 2
2015 435i xdrive
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #57
FallenRainDrops
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 435i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOFILMS435i View Post
Catless dp and I had the CEL. Bought an L spacer and then bought the "mini cat" from big daddies garage and now it's all good.
2015 435i xdrive

does this setup pass emissions (with catless DP)?
Can you show what parts you bought?
BC Racing Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #58
shadowx360
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenRainDrops View Post
does this setup pass emissions (with catless DP)?
Can you show what parts you bought?
He's talking about:
http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html
http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/angled-cel-fix.html

Basically an offset to reduce the amount of gasses passing over the tip and then a mini cat in front of your O2 sensor to actually reduce all the stuff it's supposed to sense. It still doesn't pass the tailpipe sniff test though so those in California/Ohio/etc are out of luck. You'd probably still need a nice shop that is ok with signing off despite the raging smell of a catless DP not to mention the fact that they can clearly see the offset and mini cat attached to the O2 sensor, and "VRSF" logo on the downpipe itself.

Last edited by shadowx360; 04-04-2019 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2019, 02:29 PM   #59
RsPhi135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOFILMS435i View Post
2015 435i xdrive
How long did you run this setup for? wondering if it is safe and if it would throw off sensor readings?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #60
viperguy212
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowx360 View Post
He's talking about:
http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html
http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/angled-cel-fix.html

Basically an offset to reduce the amount of gasses passing over the tip and then a mini cat in front of your O2 sensor to actually reduce all the stuff it's supposed to sense. It still doesn't pass the tailpipe sniff test though so those in California/Ohio/etc are out of luck. You'd probably still need a nice shop that is ok with signing off despite the raging smell of a catless DP not to mention the fact that they can clearly see the offset and mini cat attached to the O2 sensor, and "VRSF" logo on the downpipe itself.

Hmm I知 in NJ and my inspection is coming up soon. This looks damn tempting. No sniff test here but the car does smell. It might be worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #61
RsPhi135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperguy212 View Post
Hmm I知 in NJ and my inspection is coming up soon. This looks damn tempting. No sniff test here but the car does smell. It might be worth a try.
give us a update if it works!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #62
4dirty5
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Old thread, apologies for bringing back to light.

Wondering if anyone else has had any luck?

I'm currently on stock tune with VRSF downpipe and have 2/4 monitors ready. Really hoping I get a second one on as VA only requires 1 to be "not ready." Going to continue the drive cycle and driving around near the emissions test center and will update if another monitor changes to "ready" status.

Good luck to all lol
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 04:24 PM   #63
N55E90toF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi 6speed FBO BM3 stg2

Def subscribing, anyone test the spacer and big daddy mini cat? I知 up for inspection next month.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #64
shadowx360
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55E90toF30 View Post
Def subscribing, anyone test the spacer and big daddy mini cat? I知 up for inspection next month.
I ran the mini cat for a year or so. The CEL light came back every 5k miles so I'd reset it a couple times a year.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #65
N55E90toF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi 6speed FBO BM3 stg2

Installing the mini cat today and the L spacer... will flash back to stock this evening. I値l keep you updated.

Update: installed only mini cat. Flashed back to stock MAP, did not lock DME.

Last edited by N55E90toF30; 11-20-2019 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Updating
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:29 PM   #66
PAFD355
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

And I will be running a spacer with the offset "L" spacer without a mini-cat. Ill post my results in a few days. (currently running catless DP)
Appreciate 0