F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Does Upgraded FMIC Now Need To Be Upgraded?
Studio RSR

11-24-2021, 04:35 PM   #89
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson335 View Post
Thanks Mike, I was basing my question off your website…
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
It appears that Mike is talking about the charge pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body, while the website is talking about the Turbo To Intercooler pipe (TIC) which some people also refer to as as charge or boost pipe because it flows air that was compressed by the turbo
+1

you said charge pipe, we have not received any complaints about the charge pipe with the intercooler

one customer complained about the ER turbo to intercooler pipe, but it was not confirmed whether its an install issue.

please note the turbo to intercooler pipe, also called outlet is the pipe that connects from your intercooler to your turbo.
Different than the charge pipe which connects on the other side of the intercooler

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
johnung4512.00
      11-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #90
Emerson335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive

Garage List
2015 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It appears that Mike is talking about the charge pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body, while the website is talking about the Turbo To Intercooler pipe (TIC) which some people also refer to as as charge or boost pipe because it flows air that was compressed by the turbo
+1

you said charge pipe, we have not received any complaints about the charge pipe with the intercooler

one customer complained about the ER turbo to intercooler pipe, but it was not confirmed whether its an install issue.

please note the turbo to intercooler pipe, also called outlet is the pipe that connects from your intercooler to your turbo.
Different than the charge pipe which connects on the other side of the intercooler
Thanks guys, for the clarification! Admittedly this whole BMW thing is relatively new to me. I bought one as a DD ~2.5 years ago, fell in love, joined the forums here….and well, I guess we all know how the rest of the story goes.

I have an ER charge pipe sitting in the garage that I have not installed yet. I've been trying to decide if I should go ahead and install the CP now, or wait and install it with a FMIC at the same time. I plan to go BM3 stage 1 at some point in the next year, but I first want to get the CP and FMIC in place before any tuning. I honestly don't see me going any further than stage 1, but also don't want to arbitrarily limit myself on the FMIC if I choose to go further in the future.

Given I'm trying to avoid breaking the bank on this car (and a divorce attorney), I was looking at the Mad IC deals Mike has listed (primarily the 6.5" Race version) and noticed the comment about the ER issue and wanted to clarify if that was something I needed to be concerned with.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 10:38 AM   #91
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys, for the clarification! Admittedly this whole BMW thing is relatively new to me. I bought one as a DD ~2.5 years ago, fell in love, joined the forums here….and well, I guess we all know how the rest of the story goes.

I have an ER charge pipe sitting in the garage that I have not installed yet. I've been trying to decide if I should go ahead and install the CP now, or wait and install it with a FMIC at the same time. I plan to go BM3 stage 1 at some point in the next year, but I first want to get the CP and FMIC in place before any tuning. I honestly don't see me going any further than stage 1, but also don't want to arbitrarily limit myself on the FMIC if I choose to go further in the future.

Given I'm trying to avoid breaking the bank on this car (and a divorce attorney), I was looking at the Mad IC deals Mike has listed (primarily the 6.5" Race version) and noticed the comment about the ER issue and wanted to clarify if that was something I needed to be concerned with.
no problem, happy to help
Let us know if you decide getting an intercooler this week

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 11:46 AM   #92
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

It’s a good deal - please give us your review when you get it!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 12:00 PM   #93
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
Quote:
+1

If you have an F3x N55 definitely install the upgraded chargepipe before installing even a Stage1 tune. Evolution Raceworks is a high quality CP that fits well.

It is easier to install the CP at the same time as a new intercooler.

IMO It's important to replace o-rings at the same time. An air leak is expensive to troubleshoot and repair later. See photos. The O-Rings at the two Intercooler connections are directional and will leak if installed backwards, a common mistake. See diagram.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 03:28 PM   #94
Emerson335
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
If you have an F3x N55 definitely install the upgraded chargepipe before installing even a Stage1 tune. Evolution Raceworks is a high quality CP that fits well.

IMO It's important to replace o-rings at the same time. An air leak is expensive to troubleshoot and repair later. See photos. The O-Rings at the two Intercooler connections are directional and will leak if installed backwards, a common mistake. See diagram.

Hope this helps!
Thanks johnung! I will definitely take your advice and replace the o-rings when I replace the FMIC & CP.

P.S. I am running the N55 ('15 335xi), and I think I'm fairly close to you…I'm in Gettysburg ~2hrs west of Philly.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 03:31 PM   #95
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Is o ring included in a new charge pipe set purchase?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 03:35 PM   #96
Emerson335
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
The ER charge pipe I have did not include new o-rings.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 03:37 PM   #97
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps!
Thanks johnung! I will definitely take your advice and replace the o-rings when I replace the FMIC & CP.

P.S. I am running the N55 ('15 335xi), and I think I'm fairly close to you…I'm in Gettysburg ~2hrs west of Philly.
Yeah, I have the same car. I'm on the other side of Philly in South Jersey.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 03:39 PM   #98
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Most chargepipes do not include o-rings or clamps. Evolution Racewerks does not. I know that FTP does. They can be purchased from a dealer, GetBMWParts, FCP Euro, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 04:53 PM   #99
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Quote:
I know that FTP does.
this alone, sway me to buy FTP, lol, ER being more expensive is being cheap for not including small essential part like this, in the mean time, the cheaper brand includes everything lol
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 05:05 PM   #100
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I know that FTP does.
this alone, sway me to buy FTP, lol, ER being more expensive is being cheap for not including small essential part like this, in the mean time, the cheaper brand includes everything lol
I understand what you are saying. Evolution Racewerks is made in the USA and was one of the first to market with a very high quality product. At that time no one included o-rings or clamps. That is a very recent occurrence.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 07:32 AM   #101
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. Evolution Racewerks is made in the USA and was one of the first to market with a very high quality product. At that time no one included o-rings or clamps. That is a very recent occurrence.
+1

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 04:54 PM   #102
drapzzy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
We will be upgrading our 5 inch core intercooler with a high density core just like our 7 inch that so many people love.
Are the ones on preorder currently the ones that have the upgraded density core, as of 11/30/21
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 07:25 PM   #103
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by drapzzy View Post
Quote:
We will be upgrading our 5 inch core intercooler with a high density core just like our 7 inch that so many people love.
Are the ones on preorder currently the ones that have the upgraded density core, as of 11/30/21
Correct.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #104
drapzzy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Correct.
Great! Just ordered mine from Mike will let everyone know how it performs thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 12:59 PM   #105
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Great! Just ordered mine from Mike will let everyone know how it performs thanks
My pleasure
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 07:05 PM   #106
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
My pleasure
I've been looking for the core dimensions for the two MAD F30 Intercoolers. Where can I find them?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 07:25 PM   #107
drapzzy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
My pleasure
Any update on the shipments I can't wait!!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 01:24 PM   #108
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Any update on the shipments I can't wait!!
Depends on which you ordered the 5 or 7 but we have many shipments coming towards the end of this month. Our Black Friday sale wiped out our inventory.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 01:35 PM   #109
drapzzy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Depends on which you ordered the 5 or 7 but we have many shipments coming towards the end of this month. Our Black Friday sale wiped out our inventory.
i ordered the 5 inch stepped intercooler
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 01:43 PM   #110
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Our new high density 5 inch intercooler is back in stock with an even lower price

https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-5-stepped...55-1-2-3-4-m2/
Appreciate 0