F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Play in steering rack 330D
GetBMWParts

03-20-2024, 07:01 PM   #1
mrbensam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport

Play in steering rack 330D

Back again with my shed of an F30 330D haha

My steering rack has quite a bit of play in it, it feels like I have to keep doing little steering inputs to keep it going straight. My brother has same car and his steering feels tight. I've already had the thrust bush repair kit done and replaced the inner and outer tie rods.

When we were doing the tie rods we put a spanner on the rack teeth bit and there was quite a lot of play.

Pretty sure the rack is knackered. Is there anyway I will be able to get BMW to replace the rack without paying 3K + ?

I know the rack was superseded about 15 times since my car was made in 2015 so surely they are well aware of the design faults.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 12:56 AM   #2
Allworth
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d (E84)

It would have been interesting to know what is your car mileage, also it sounds like your thrust bush has not been tightened correctly which results in a steering feeling being very light and effortless thus any rough surface will amend the car trajectory and may also result in knocking. And If it's getting worse with hot weather then its highly likely it.
      03-21-2024, 04:07 AM   #3
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

BMW insured warranty is the only way to get out of the £3K bill unfortunately.

As above, if twisting on the rack causes too much movement, try winding the tension cap in more. The cap is normally flush with the rack housing when it's correct, or slightly proud.

Has the car had an alignment check? If the front and/or rear toe is out, that can also cause steering wander and squirming especially in lorry ruts. Really old run flats with concrete sidewalls can also cause it. So a few things to look into first before condemning the rack.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 04:27 AM   #4
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

A couple of things to add to the list of things to check.

Did you torque the thrust cap for the bush kit correctly ? The instructions state that it has to be torqued to 70Nm, which creates a lot of pressure through the spring and onto the friction block. I found that at 70Nm the spring went 'to block' and I had to undo the thrust cap by around 1/4 turn. My steering has been quiet, and smooth, ever since.

Check the hydro bushes in the front suspension. They've got all the resistance of a warm marshmallow, and any wear/leaking just makes them worse. Soggy hydro bushes = vague/slow steering.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.

Last edited by Watsey; 03-21-2024 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2024, 06:26 AM   #5
mrbensam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allworth View Post
It would have been interesting to know what is your car mileage, also it sounds like your thrust bush has not been tightened correctly which results in a steering feeling being very light and effortless thus any rough surface will amend the car trajectory and may also result in knocking. And If it's getting worse with hot weather then its highly likely it.
Mileage is just over 100k now

The bush is definitely tightened correctly because I’ve had the undertray off at least 10 times playing with it hahaha!

I tried putting it flush at first but it was binding and the wheel wasn’t centering so I backed it off tiny amounts until it stopped binding

Also tried having it looser and as you say it was just following every line in the road
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 06:29 AM   #6
mrbensam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWeasel View Post
BMW insured warranty is the only way to get out of the £3K bill unfortunately.

As above, if twisting on the rack causes too much movement, try winding the tension cap in more. The cap is normally flush with the rack housing when it's correct, or slightly proud.

Has the car had an alignment check? If the front and/or rear toe is out, that can also cause steering wander and squirming especially in lorry ruts. Really old run flats with concrete sidewalls can also cause it. So a few things to look into first before condemning the rack.
Yeah it’s had 3 alignments in the last 2 months trying to get it right but no difference

Suspension is probably due a refresh to be fair but the play when twisting the rack is what makes me think there’s an issue there

Tempted to just get BMW to inspect it and see what they think.

No run flats either I’ve got PS4S all round
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 06:39 AM   #7
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbensam View Post
Yeah it’s had 3 alignments in the last 2 months trying to get it right but no difference

Suspension is probably due a refresh to be fair but the play when twisting the rack is what makes me think there’s an issue there

Tempted to just get BMW to inspect it and see what they think.

No run flats either I’ve got PS4S all round
FWIW the full suspension refresh I did on my F31 in Jan has made a world of difference to the car; handling/steering etc...

It wasn't bad; but you could tell it was all original 2015...
      03-21-2024, 07:00 AM   #8
mrbensam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb1979 View Post
FWIW the full suspension refresh I did on my F31 in Jan has made a world of difference to the car; handling/steering etc...

It wasn't bad; but you could tell it was all original 2015...
I bet it did mate haha how much did all the parts set you back? I’m gonna put some coil overs on soon and thinking about getting the m3 front arms to go with
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 07:13 AM   #9
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

try the EPS module update first' but I suspect it very much needs a new rack
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 07:15 AM   #10
mrbensam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY340i View Post
try the EPS module update first' but I suspect it very much needs a new rack
Is that in ISTA? I’ve got it on my laptop and used it to reset the steering angle sensor recently
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 08:31 AM   #11
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
I bet it did mate haha how much did all the parts set you back? I’m gonna put some coil overs on soon and thinking about getting the m3 front arms to go with
Not silly TBH; mix of TRW/Moog and Lemforder parts for all the arms, via Autodoc

Sachs top mounts all round, via Autodoc

OEM BMW gaskets/rubber perches/dust boots/bump stops via Cotswolds BMW

Bilstein B4S shocks and Eibach pro kit springs from Autodoc

It adds up; but it's still hell of a lot cheaper than going BMW's route etc

I toyed with the idea of coilovers; but just too firm for my liking, more so for an every day driver etc

I didn't bother with the M3 arms; they really aren't all that and push the front wheels forward too; so you've to faff with shims to get them where they need to be. Just lowering the car will give you more camber to play with etc. My pals did a superb job getting all the work done and then the tracking/alignment and fast-road set up for me

Car really drives and handles superbly now; that rear-end looseness has gone completely
      03-21-2024, 10:52 AM   #12
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Quote:
Is that in ISTA? I’ve got it on my laptop and used it to reset the steering angle sensor recently
ISTA P or E-Sys you'll need for flashing modules. Too risky (especially with ISTA P). Take it to a dealer and get them to do it instead.

I very much doubt it would correct any squirming/tugging/tramlining type feelings though. That is 100% a mechanical issue. Fooked hyrdaulic bushes most likely. Basically a wobbly anchor point on the control arm which will cause the road wheels to be easily deflected over bumps in a straight line.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2024, 12:33 PM   #13
mrbensam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb1979 View Post
Not silly TBH; mix of TRW/Moog and Lemforder parts for all the arms, via Autodoc

Sachs top mounts all round, via Autodoc

OEM BMW gaskets/rubber perches/dust boots/bump stops via Cotswolds BMW

Bilstein B4S shocks and Eibach pro kit springs from Autodoc

It adds up; but it's still hell of a lot cheaper than going BMW's route etc

I toyed with the idea of coilovers; but just too firm for my liking, more so for an every day driver etc

I didn't bother with the M3 arms; they really aren't all that and push the front wheels forward too; so you've to faff with shims to get them where they need to be. Just lowering the car will give you more camber to play with etc. My pals did a superb job getting all the work done and then the tracking/alignment and fast-road set up for me

Car really drives and handles superbly now; that rear-end looseness has gone completely
Are the MOOG front arms any good? Autodoc has all 4 for £215 ish or I can get the Lemforder ones for £315 ish
Appreciate 1
danb19791894.00
      03-21-2024, 12:51 PM   #14
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
Are the MOOG front arms any good? Autodoc has all 4 for £215 ish or I can get the Lemforder ones for £315 ish
Yes; I've been using Moog for years now. Not once have I had any issues. They have really good warranty too and you can get them from your local motorfactors

Can't say the same for BMW, Lemforder and TRW unfortunately. Had issues with them across a few BMW E39s and my previous F01

Lemforder did have known issues back in 2019; some parts still circulating and it seems they're having it again as even Sreten of M539 Restorations fame has commented on their recent quality etc...