F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bimmer newby looking to buy 330i/330d/335d - Advice please?
ARMA SPEED

03-21-2024, 09:44 AM   #1
AzzaCZB
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 208 Gti

Bimmer newby looking to buy 330i/330d/335d - Advice please?

Hi All,

After years of flip-flopping between hot hatches and sensible estates I'm looking to combine the two, and I reckon the 330i/330D/335D could be the car to do it.

I do 25K+ a year so the diesel is my preference, however I work inside the London ULEZ so I'm also concerned how long I'll have before it's no longer exempt. With that in mind I'm not averse to going for the 328i.

As a BMW virgin, I'm reaching out to you all in the hope you can provide me with a solid buyer's guide - What options/extras to look out for. Which engine is the most reliable? Are some models more prone to being thrashed than others? If so, what are the tell-tale signs?

I'm looking to spend up to 18k on a 2015/2016 so any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 10:19 AM   #2
gac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335d

Garage List
2015 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I test drove a few recently. I found the HK audio to be a good improvement; probably still not as good as actual audio equipment, but sounded better than the car I test drove with stock audio and I don't care enough to actually install aftermarket audio. Panoramic roof I kind of hated, my last car (Megane RS) had one that I was totally ambivalent about because it had a "curtain" you could draw over it so for three years it was just a non-thing. I test drove a 335d Touring with it, and really actively disliked it. The head-up display is kind of a gimmick, I can see how it might be useful if it shows things like satnav instructions but with the standard display of just a speedo I didn't think it really added anything. I didn't really test drive any other options, the only thing that was really on my must-have list was the HK audio.

With regard to emissions, the Megane was still (reportedly) ULEZ compliant at 195g/km of CO2. The pre-LCI 335d I bought registers 148, so there's still a fair way to be cut down before it becomes non-compliant. Facelift 335d seem to be booked at 151, so for an LCI car it's one VED band up so slightly more expensive to run. A quick Google says an F30 328i is 149g/km so basically nothing to choose - if you wanted the diesel then I think you'd be fine (or at least you wouldn't be any better off with a 328i because it would likely become outlawed by ULEZ at the same time).

I decided to shop at the low end price-wise because even by upping the budget, I still couldn't find many cars that had had anything in the way of preventative maintenance, so I decided I would buy a cheaper car that I didn't mind putting money into rather than stretching my budget and getting something that may have _still_ needed work. Kind of glad I did because I've recently found out (thanks to resources like this forum) that the "lifetime" gearbox is actually not lifetime, and it's a fair chunk of money to have it serviced - if I'd paid my top amount for car and found it still needed work then I'd be annoyed, but I'm ok with paying what I paid and still needing to do some work.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 11:24 AM   #3
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Pretty much the same story as me.

Went from a Stage 1 tuned Golf GTI Edition 30 to a 2016 330d due to a change of job, meaning 25K a year.

In all honesty, the 330d is just as fast as the GTI in a straight line, but over the 25K odd miles I've owned it, it's returned a genuine 50mpg. Almost twice that of the Golf. Pretty incredible for a ~1700kg car with a 3.0 engine.

LCI 30d is ULEZ 6 compliant. Not sure about the 35d though?

I do miss the Golf's nimbleness in the corners, but nothing else. The F30 is superior in every other way. I love it and have no regrets. Much easier to work on than the Golf as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 11:37 AM   #4
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzaCZB View Post
Hi All,

After years of flip-flopping between hot hatches and sensible estates I'm looking to combine the two, and I reckon the 330i/330D/335D could be the car to do it.

I do 25K+ a year so the diesel is my preference, however I work inside the London ULEZ so I'm also concerned how long I'll have before it's no longer exempt. With that in mind I'm not averse to going for the 328i.

As a BMW virgin, I'm reaching out to you all in the hope you can provide me with a solid buyer's guide - What options/extras to look out for. Which engine is the most reliable? Are some models more prone to being thrashed than others? If so, what are the tell-tale signs?

I'm looking to spend up to 18k on a 2015/2016 so any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
I would strongly recommend you go for the 3.0 six cylinder petrol. On longer runs you'll get close to 40mpg, and it's a world better to drive than a diesel.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 12:11 PM   #5
ade555
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 430D

With ULEZ and London is a lottery what the mad man will decide next so is hard to say how long Euro 6 diesel will be exempt, earlier F series cars only have DPF so you don't have to worry about adblue. Been honest not sure if adblue was introduced even in F series, mine is 2016 and it doesn't have it. 330i is 2l petrol and to get 6 cylinder engine you would have to look at 340i and that has a nice price attached to that, few months ago it was near M car money, very good preformance some say is good on fuel on longer runs but for someone doing 25k+ not sure if is best choice. 330d vs 335d well is down to better preformance due to having another turbo.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 12:34 PM   #6
ade555
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 430D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade555 View Post
With ULEZ and London is a lottery what the mad man will decide next so is hard to say how long Euro 6 diesel will be exempt, earlier F series cars only have DPF so you don't have to worry about adblue. Been honest not sure if adblue was introduced even in F series, mine is 2016 and it doesn't have it. 330i is 2l petrol and to get 6 cylinder engine you would have to look at 340i and that has a nice price attached to that, few months ago it was near M car money, very good preformance some say is good on fuel on longer runs but for someone doing 25k+ not sure if is best choice. 330d vs 335d well is down to better preformance due to having another turbo. Budget is always the main thing can I ask how much you looking to spent? This will allow member to see if you will get LCI car ect.
Spec wise what ever you do don't get drawn to 20" alloys as most are fake, easy to spot as original BMW 20" will be 255 wide on rear, most fake will be 265/275, most will go with BMW 704 alloys which are nice 19", sweet spot, you will get better return in fuel on 18", I know first hand. 2016 car will be fitted with LED headlamps and NBT5/6 so easier to get apple car play or android auto. One of the nice option is extended leather, no options for better seats like you can get with 5 series but you can get one with electric seats. Some models will have adaptive suspension, due to price for replacement of shocks I would say is personal preference if you want it or not. There are better alternatives to that on market let's just say that. Then you have reversing camera/HUD and HK audio. Look out for blue calippers on some models was optional extra and I think 335d had it as standard.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 12:43 PM   #7
gac
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Nope, 335d standard brakes are the silver calipers front and rear. 340mm front and 320mm rear, I think. The blue calipers are the M-Sport brakes which come in either 340/345 or 370/345 front/rear combos.

I believe even with the basic silver calipers it's still the same 4 piston front caliper but without the M Sport brakes you only get single piston rear, not two piston.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 12:53 PM   #8
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Hi All,

Cheers
IMO; save some of your budget and buy this (if you're happy with a saloon)

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2088352

Great engine, great spec, great car!
YODI137.00
      03-21-2024, 01:06 PM   #9
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335dx F31 Shadow EB

Look for a shadow edition as it comes with a few options as standard, including Harmon cardon audio and blue brakes.
335d are euro 6 compliant and adblue arrived in mid 2018, around June afaik.
335d on 19' will get around 45pg on a run and mid 30's around town.
All 335d are xdrive, optional on 330d.
      03-21-2024, 02:56 PM   #10
Kermit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive Shadow Edition

2017 335d Touring here since new so any questions just yell

Quick edit: one thing that would be easy to miss is the data connection, we believe, was upgraded to 4G in mid 2017. Earlier than 2017 cars were 3G (which is being switched off), so if you were intending to use all the online features like real time traffic, speech recognition into the future etc just bear in mind.

Last edited by Kermit; 03-21-2024 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 03:45 PM   #11
Jon TDI
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d M Sport XD Touring

Bought my first BMW (F31 330d M Sport) a few years ago and loved it.
My must have list of options had to be LCI face lift, LED headlights, Black leather, HK sound system & rear camera. Sadly it got written off after 18months of ownership.
Bought a F31 335d to replace it and it had all the above option plus panoramic sunroof & M Performance body kit. It is an absolute beast. Still getting 40mpg on the commute & 47mpg on longer runs.
The N57 3.0L 6 cylinder is an absolute gem of an engine whether it be single or twin turbo.
Best car I have ever owned, never ceases to put a smile on my face!
      03-21-2024, 06:15 PM   #12
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i msport+ MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade555 View Post
With ULEZ and London is a lottery what the mad man will decide next so is hard to say how long Euro 6 diesel will be exempt, earlier F series cars only have DPF so you don't have to worry about adblue. Been honest not sure if adblue was introduced even in F series, mine is 2016 and it doesn't have it. 330i is 2l petrol and to get 6 cylinder engine you would have to look at 340i and that has a nice price attached to that, few months ago it was near M car money, very good preformance some say is good on fuel on longer runs but for someone doing 25k+ not sure if is best choice. 330d vs 335d well is down to better preformance due to having another turbo.
I've had my 340i since June 2019 - average mileage sitting at 31.4 mpg, and I'm a Londoner! For economy the B58 is the best in class bar none.

I'm getting 40 mpg on motorway runs. 42-3 if in motorway traffic at 55-60mph. As a trial, I tested the coast feature (best economy in light traffic, as you don't have someone up your arse at 55 mph, or conversely have to brake) late one night and got 46mpg over 30 odd miles of road!

The trick is using the eco mode coast, it really is amazing how this 1750kg box glides, I can coast with the engine idling for 1.5 miles with just the slightest of declines.

Still, if you're doing 25k miles PA it will never compete with a 330d of course. Saying that...I wonder what the actual cost difference is, taking into account the lower price of petrol, over 10k...for a 335d opposed to a 340i.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 08:02 PM   #13
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Some 2015 cars will be pre-LCI so base prices accordingly, although the reality is that this would be a nine year old car so condition should be the bigger driver.

It's worth using a VIN decoder for any cars you're looking at and cross checking it with the appropriate year's PDF brochure as it will give you an idea of how well (or not) a car is spec'd. Mine is something daft at £55k list with all the options, not that I believe for a minute that's the figure that was paid. Things like adaptive suspension, pro nav (bigger screen), reverse cameras, elec seats, heated seats etc were all options. I think even HID headlights were an option? Adaptive and HBA definitely were. Radar cruise is pretty rare. Leather can make a difference. Stock Dakota feels like rhino hide but is very hardwearing. Merino feels nice and soft but wears accordingly. Mine isn't bad now at 80k but I'm sure some fussy fucker would say it's ruined etc if they were looking to buy it. Stock brakes on the 335d were silver calipers, 340mm front rotors and 330mm rears with sliding calipers. These cars will have 18" wheels. Blue calipers (check somebody hasn't cheekily painted the silver ones) are 370mm front and 2 pot 345mm back, and will come with 19" wheels. These were 403M pre-LCI with 7x twin spokes. The post-LCI 19" design was 5x twin spokes which is an easy tell. Some later cars came with a digital dash too. Personally I prefer the pre-LCI analogue one but I think I'm in the minority.

Unlike some comments above I really like the pano roof, and combined with the opal white interior really brightens it up. It is marginally noisier than when the blind's shut but for me it's a price worth paying. 19" wheels ride like shit on rough roads with potholes. Also, for me the 335d was the obvious choice as they all came with X drive but if you don't need AWD then this will reduce fuel economy for little appreciable benefit. If you do go X-drive then check tyres and tyre wear carefully. They're not as bad as Volvo nineties AWD but they're pretty fragile. I had a transfer case at 60k and that's not uncommon. Also check for noises at the front that can be a sign of a worn rack (hint, they'll pretty much all do it to a degree).

ETA: In looking at the saloon linked above, I'm also reminded that BMW even have folding rear seats as an optional extra. Don't be caught out if that's something you need!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 04:24 AM   #14
AzzaCZB
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb1979 View Post
IMO; save some of your budget and buy this (if you're happy with a saloon)

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2088352

Great engine, great spec, great car!
I love the look but IMO saloons are the most impractical shape a car can be! I'm always doing something major to my house so I make plenty of trips to the Jewsons, so a hatch or estate wins hands down. I'm not averse to going for a GT mind you?

PS: Red leather... Come on!!? ����

Last edited by AzzaCZB; 03-22-2024 at 04:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 04:32 AM   #15
gac
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
2017 335d Touring here since new so any questions just yell

Quick edit: one thing that would be easy to miss is the data connection, we believe, was upgraded to 4G in mid 2017. Earlier than 2017 cars were 3G (which is being switched off), so if you were intending to use all the online features like real time traffic, speech recognition into the future etc just bear in mind.
Crap, I never thought about that. Which means the MyBMW app and built-in GPS tracking etc will all stop too (not that it's foolproof given that a car thief can just turn it off on the iDrive anyway).

Does the BMW real time traffic definitely use the 3G connection? The reason I ask is that my last car had "TomTom" (branded Renault Carminat Live) which seemed to use the old FM TMC setup. Even though that car also had a SIM card, it hadn't had a subscription on it for three years and was permanently bricked by TomTom/Renault, and it still appeared to get traffic updates.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 06:50 AM   #16
YODI
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 320d M Sport

Quote:
I love the look but IMO saloons are the most impractical shape a car can be! I'm always doing something major to my house so I make plenty of trips to the Jewsons, so a hatch or estate wins hands down. I'm not averse to going for a GT mind you?

PS: Red leather... Come on!!? ����
Behave, the red leather is amazing
Appreciate 2
danb19791892.50
Ennoch2257.00
      03-22-2024, 09:11 AM   #17
Kermit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gac View Post
Crap, I never thought about that. Which means the MyBMW app and built-in GPS tracking etc will all stop too (not that it's foolproof given that a car thief can just turn it off on the iDrive anyway).

Does the BMW real time traffic definitely use the 3G connection? The reason I ask is that my last car had "TomTom" (branded Renault Carminat Live) which seemed to use the old FM TMC setup. Even though that car also had a SIM card, it hadn't had a subscription on it for three years and was permanently bricked by TomTom/Renault, and it still appeared to get traffic updates.
Yes RTTI uses the network, but the TMC obviously doesn't so that would give the same capability as your last car. What I don't know is if RTTI will work over 2G, which is being kept alive longer than 3G by most providers.
Appreciate 1
gac45.00
      03-22-2024, 12:05 PM   #18
mrbensam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport

As long as it’s got good service history, 6 cylinders, m sport and rear wheel drive you can’t go far wrong 😎
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2024, 02:15 PM   #19
Kermit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Amen brother
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2024, 03:26 AM   #20
AzzaCZB
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YODI View Post
Behave, the red leather is amazing
Not for me fella
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 04:09 AM   #21
AzzaCZB
Rep

Was I being naive to think that there'd be a general consensus on this??

So from my understanding the 335d only comes in AWD so is it fair to say the purists among you would avoid it because you will always want RWD?

I've never owned a RWD car so do I have less chance of making my children fatherless if I go for AWD initially and maybe switch to RWD later down the line?

What about Adaptive Suspension? Lots of ads just say M Sport Suspension. Are they one and the same? If so, is it needed? Reviews seem to suggest it is?

So with 18K to spend would it may be best to go pre LCI with low mileage? I've seen a couple 335ds that are 10 years old and only done 40K! Does that seem a bit suspect?

Or do I go the other way - LCI with higher mileage? I should imagine a 335d with 100K on the clock still feels like new if it's been well looked after ?

What about drive chain issues? Is it best to get this checked by a good mechanic before buying to make sure its OK? Or are there signs that are easy to spot?

One post above mentioned gear box maintenance but are there any other major things to look out for before I buy?

Im reluctant to say this next bit for fear of the very large can of worms I may open but....

My mate suggested looking at the 435d GC yesterday. Any thoughts on that?

Be kind all you 3 series fanatics!!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 04:40 AM   #22
Allworth
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d (E84)

4 series GC is a better choice if rear space matters. I personally would go electric at this price range (other than bmw). Nevertheless, 3.0D is a really great engine. I personally see AWD as something that saves me from getting stuck in odd places, especially during winter, no racing in mind!