F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Side View Cameras retrofit?
Studio RSR

06-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #1
yaclexx
Rep
Drives: 335i

Side View Cameras retrofit?

is it possible?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

As with most anything you want to retrofit, it can be done with the right amount of time and money.

Assuming you already have reverse camera and PDC, you would need the 4 cameras, a new front bumper cable for the side view cameras, the wiring to run that cable to inside the car, new side mirror housings to hold the top view cameras, the HSD wires to run from the side mirrors to to control unit, a new center console(sport/eco pro) switch with camera button to activate the side view display, and a new control unit with the plugs for the extra cameras.

If you do not already have the reverse camera and/or PDC, the project would get a little more expensive. Good luck, let me know if you need any further details.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
yaclexx
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have the rear camera and PDC < I was planing to retrofit the side front bumper cameras only (if possible). using my m sport bumper and drill to holes for the cameras. I don't want the mirror side cameras at all. I was hopping my control unit to have the connections for the front side cams available and just add the center console for the extra button.
If I have to buy another control unit then Ill quit my project
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 10:07 PM   #4
roxxor
Major
Rep

They aren't a whole lot, you can usually find them used on the bay for about 200-300, new they run about 400. But yes you would need one since the one you have now would only have the input for the rear camera, and you would need the input for the side cameras. Part #'s can be found here.

From what I've been told it is possible to do just the side view without the top view, not sure how it would look on the display though. You can drill the holes for the mounts I believe, and you should be able to find most of the part numbers for everything on Realoem, and of course you would need to code it to the car once you got everything installed. If you have any other questions or need help with anything let me know.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #5
bonabono
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi

I wouldn't put much effort into it.
It is a cool feature but a needless one.
I never find myself needing to use it.
If you drive through narrow alleyways a lot, I guess it could be useful.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonabono View Post
I wouldn't put much effort into it.
It is a cool feature but a needless one.
Exactly why I opted not to go through doing the retrofit for it on mine. That and I figured I should leave a few things to be "new" when I get my next car
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaclexx View Post
is it possible?
I wouldn't waste your time or money. Top view is a much more valuable feature. Side view can sometimes be a little bit dangerous/distracting to use. Kind of counterintuitive to look at your center console when you're trying to see if traffic is coming from your left or right.
Appreciate 0