F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Have some questions about coilover compatibility
proTUNING Freaks

08-09-2021, 01:16 PM   #1
dickovens
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i GT

Question Have some questions about coilover compatibility

Hey everyone, my mistake if there’s anything obvious that I don’t know, but this is the first ever build I’ll be doing so it’s a learning experience for me every step of the way. I have a 2016 328i GT and as all of you know it’s damn near impossible to find anything that lists F34 compatibility, but I’m determined on this build. Nobody is gonna expect the 3800lbs 328i with a fat ass to have 400hp and that’s where I’m trying to get it lol. Anyways, I’m about to install the first two mods on my car as soon as I have confirmation that it will work. I’m about to pull the trigger on the VRSF catless downpipe because I’m less worried about this working. I don’t see any reason that an n20 downpipe wont fit in the F34, even though their website doesn’t list the F34 under compatibility, but I’d appreciate if anyone here knows for sure if it will work out and could let me know. The thing I’m more worried about is the coilovers. The GT weighs a few hundred more pounds than a regular 328i so I’m worried I’ll have issues with regular F30 coilovers. They do make some for the F31 wagon which has a similar weight so maybe that’s a better route to go? Like I said, this whole build is a learning experience for me, so I’m sorry if I’m saying some dumb shit and the weight difference wouldn’t even matter that much. I appreciate and responses, as I’m really motivated to get this build started after owing this car for two years now.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 10:16 PM   #2
Gran_Turismo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT M Sport

A guy from Germany I follow on Instagram recently got coils from dtstuning. Here's a link to his gt featured on their page.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 01:36 AM   #3
dickovens
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran_Turismo View Post
A guy from Germany I follow on Instagram recently got coils from dtstuning. Here's a link to his gt featured on their page.

Thanks a bunch dude. Has he said good things about the coilovers though. The pricetag of only 300 euros is a little worrying tbh.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #4
Velocifero23
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i GT

From what I have read (I am also newish to the BMW tuning realm), F31 suspension parts are very close to the F34, some part numbers do match up even.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 11:43 AM   #5
Call me the breeze
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 430i Msport

I was in your shoes a couple of years ago on the suspension. A local BMW tuner shop was trying to sell me hard on BC Racing coilovers (BC Racing HQ is located across the street from the shop). I finally contacted BC Racing directly and said they were not 100% sure that the F3x xDrive coilovers would fit the F34 (they wouldn't I later found out due to difference in the strut tower mounting bolt pattern). On further research I learned that dropping xDrive cars more that 1" is terrible for drive shaft, camber plates, CV boots, etc. Do people still do it? Of course.

The best option I found was the Bilstein coilovers. They are $$$ but they engineer their parts specifically for BMWs and the tech support guys were helpful in understanding our vehicles. I eventually went with Bilstein B6 struts/shocks due to budget. Way better handling and ride quality but no drop. You could also go with B8s with lowering springs but again that gets $$$.

My next purchase is going to be H&R anti roll bars to reign in the excessive body roll of this beast. I have confirmed from H&R tech support that they fit the F34. To me, the suspension and audio system are the weak spots of the vehicle but those can be fixed. Love the car otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #6
dickovens
Registered
Rep

Hmm that’s interesting to hear, I didn’t know about the problems lowering more than an inch, but to be honest, even an inch lower will look miles better. the f34 chassis is one of the most hated in my experience and one of the biggest drawbacks of its appearance is the ride height. I’ll definitely take a look into the bilsteins, I was looking at them before but I didn’t know they made some for the f34
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 06:59 AM   #7
Velocifero23
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i GT

The H&R springs are about an inch right?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 08:18 AM   #8
F34ED
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 335i GT

i have KW V3's on my f34 and they ride like a dream
Appreciate 0