F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Low temp (intercooler) tank always pressurized
ARMA SPEED

10-14-2021, 01:36 AM   #1
2rbolag
Private
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

I always try and keep an eye on fluid levels on both tanks. Lately, I've noticed that the smaller tank is always pressurized even after the car has sat for a prolonged period of time (12+ hrs) but pressurized as in a lot!! Not the usual hissing and a small amount of air escapes but pressurized to the point that fluid erupts out of the tanks making a mess everywhere.

Ps. I also have the CSF heat exchanger.
Anyone has encountered something similar?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 06:20 PM   #2
2rbolag
Private
Rep

I suspect I may have a blockage in the system. I was idling for 10 mins when all of the sudden I lost cold air from the vents, immediately I knew I was losing water from the ic tank. Oddly enough, after 2 minutes of this happening I regained cold air again. I opened the hood and saw water seeping out of the cap.

I'm baffled because I did the bleed procedure and the fill level was right. Definitely not over filled.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 06:17 AM   #3
Uni-Rapide
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2019 F30 340i

Why do you think the heat exchanger for the intercooler has anything to do with the air conditioning?
Wires1642.50
WolfGTI716.00
      10-15-2021, 10:15 PM   #4
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

There is a known issue regarding the AC temp sensor or something that causes AC to blow hot. The CSF exchanger had a higher volume. Doesn't make sense to me but could be the issue.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2021, 08:15 PM   #5
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rbolag View Post
I suspect I may have a blockage in the system. I was idling for 10 mins when all of the sudden I lost cold air from the vents, immediately I knew I was losing water from the ic tank. Oddly enough, after 2 minutes of this happening I regained cold air again. I opened the hood and saw water seeping out of the cap.

I'm baffled because I did the bleed procedure and the fill level was right. Definitely not over filled.
It's something to do with the heat exchanger install. Uninstall and check your work again, you'll find the problem. Test the heat exchanger with a garden hose before putting it back in to make sure it's good, check for kinks in hoses etc. it sounds like your fluid is not flowing. When you did the bleed procedure did you see the fluid bubbling? Assuming you had the cap off when you did it right? If you left the cap on you didn't bleed anything you just pressurized it and now have air in your lines
      10-18-2021, 03:50 AM   #6
2rbolag
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
Quote:

It's something to do with the heat exchanger install. Uninstall and check your work again, you'll find the problem. Test the heat exchanger with a garden hose before putting it back in to make sure it's good, check for kinks in hoses etc. it sounds like your fluid is not flowing. When you did the bleed procedure did you see the fluid bubbling? Assuming you had the cap off when you did it right? If you left the cap on you didn't bleed anything you just pressurized it and now have air in your lines
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
Quote:

Cap was off during procedure, issue is erratic, sometimes it's pressurized, other times when left overnight it's underfilled etc. Problem started happening recently after a night of data testing and during a run l did 185 mph. Csf as been on for 4 months without any issues until now.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 04:08 AM   #7
2rbolag
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni-Rapide View Post
Why do you think the heat exchanger for the intercooler has anything to do with the air conditioning?
Because it does, the low coolant circuit in the aux ic tank works also with the ac condenser in the b58, if fluid levels are low, ac blows warm.
Appreciate 3
kern4174445.00
B58 parts472.50
      02-01-2023, 06:34 AM   #8
zeenon53
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Cap was off during procedure, issue is erratic, sometimes it's pressurized, other times when left overnight it's underfilled etc. Problem started happening recently after a night of data testing and during a run l did 185 mph. Csf as been on for 4 months without any issues until now.
Did you figure this out? Having a similar issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 09:48 PM   #9
morritse
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Xdrive

Back when I had an s4 this was a common issue whenever people had an aftermarket heat exchanger and didn't properly bleed the system
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 12:33 AM   #10
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

When my front ic was punctured and the tank was empty I had very weird issues with the ac. Since installing the CSF heat exchanger and using the vaccum tool and bleed procedure in both high/low temp circuits, it's been fine for 4 months. There was a code about the ic pump running dry, maybe just scan and clear codes, maybe if you have that code the ac gets weird. Also would try flashing the dme and ihka modules. But it is weird, the ac and the low temp circuit do relate somehow.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 02:47 AM   #11
Acapclone
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 340i

Hi...any update on the issue? My car has same exact problem
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 06:37 AM   #12
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

Yeah the intercooler pump and the air conditioning system are absolutely connected. I had to remove everything to really see it but you can see in the pictures,

#3 here, out of ic pump to air conditioning condenser block and further back to intake manifold

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_2221

And #5 here, out of air conditioning block back up into small ic tank.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_1229

Don't know why they needed to do all that. I'd be interested to understand why.

I would suggest making sure nothing's punctured, you can do the low temperature circuit bleed procedure, and if that doesn't work drain the low temp loop and use the vacuum tool to completely fill it and then do the low circuit bleed procedure again. I forget how to start that bleed, it's all in ISTA, it should be posted here somewhere or actually it's in kern417's video about the heat exchanger. If that still doesn't work then you probably got to look at changing certain parts.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 01:07 PM   #13
Acapclone
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
Yeah the intercooler pump and the air conditioning system are absolutely connected. I had to remove everything to really see it but you can see in the pictures,

#3 here, out of ic pump to air conditioning condenser block and further back to intake manifold

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_2221

And #5 here, out of air conditioning block back up into small ic tank.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_1229

Don't know why they needed to do all that. I'd be interested to understand why.

I would suggest making sure nothing's punctured, you can do the low temperature circuit bleed procedure, and if that doesn't work drain the low temp loop and use the vacuum tool to completely fill it and then do the low circuit bleed procedure again. I forget how to start that bleed, it's all in ISTA, it should be posted here somewhere or actually it's in kern417's video about the heat exchanger. If that still doesn't work then you probably got to look at changing certain parts.
Many thanks. That's a great info 👍
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 08:51 PM   #14
Acapclone
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I always try and keep an eye on fluid levels on both tanks. Lately, I've noticed that the smaller tank is always pressurized even after the car has sat for a prolonged period of time (12+ hrs) but pressurized as in a lot!! Not the usual hissing and a small amount of air escapes but pressurized to the point that fluid erupts out of the tanks making a mess everywhere.

Ps. I also have the CSF heat exchanger.
Anyone has encountered something similar?
Appreciate your update. I'm having this unresolved issue. Thanks
Appreciate 0