F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > 4 Series Gran Coupe Rendered
proTUNING Freaks

09-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #89
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

Why the sudden interest in four door Coupe's?
Well the demographic for standard Coupe models is changing because of the emergence of new markets the customers are getting younger and with that demographic comes the responsibilities that the customer requires , extra flexibility for a family or business clients yet they still crave the sleek looks and performance of a Coupe. BMW are not alone in extending their product line to include more practical Coupe models.
Ok. If that's true, then design the new sedans to give that look, and it will appeal to those who seek a sleeker look.

To my eye, I don't see anything on the GC's that would appeal to a coupe buyer who needs more room. The GC's are LONGER than the coupe, thus negating the appeal of a coupe that gives the car a smaller look vs it's sedan variant, even if it isnt'.

I see this GC as alternatives for sedan buyers not couple buyers. Those who want a coupe want a 2 door, at least I do. When I got my 135i I liked it because of it's 2 door styling.

The GC does look nice, great style. If both the F30 and the 4 GC were out, I'd consider either one. But if I really wanted a coupe, it would be a 2 door.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #90
brad0
Private
Rep
Drives: none

when is this car - the 4GC expected to be in showrooms?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #91
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Answers to your questions.

Quote:
Ok. If that's true, then design the new sedans to give that look, and it will appeal to those who seek a sleeker look.

With BMW as well as conventional new car markets there is huge reliance on fleet markets throughout Europe and the UK. If we made the 3er more like the 4er Gran Coupe then right away the car would become unpractical for fleet sales and would drive customers into larger and more practical sedans from our competitors.
The 4er Gran Coupe like the 6er GC is a niche model therefore a model that will bring a considerable return thanks to its positioning.

To my eye, I don't see anything on the GC's that would appeal to a coupe buyer who needs more room. The GC's are LONGER than the coupe, thus negating the appeal of a coupe that gives the car a smaller look vs it's sedan variant, even if it isnt'.
As I said customers and demographics are getting younger especially in important emerging markets and with that comes the requirement for more flexibility. Yet they still want a Coupe.

I see this GC as alternatives for sedan buyers not couple buyers. Those who want a coupe want a 2 door, at least I do. When I got my 135i I liked it because of it's 2 door styling.
It is all a matter of preference , but with the 6er Gran Coupe I know some customers who like the 6er Coupe but require extra flexibility for family and business needs.

The GC does look nice, great style. If both the F30 and the 4 GC were out, I'd consider either one. But if I really wanted a coupe, it would be a 2 door.
The 4er will be available as both 2dr and 4dr.
      12-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #92
soolman32
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: F30 335i Soon: AMG

Oh am I glad I've waited before buying an F30. Love how sleek the 6 GC looks. It's clear that the 4 GC variant will cost a little more than the 3 series but if it's reasonable I can honestly say that I'd be more inclined to buy the GC. Best of both world in my opinion, coupe styling with 4 door convenience... I'm sold if it look like that rendering!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #93
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by soolman32 View Post
Oh am I glad I've waited before buying an F30. Love how sleek the 6 GC looks. It's clear that the 4 GC variant will cost a little more than the 3 series but if it's reasonable I can honestly say that I'd be more inclined to buy the GC. Best of both world in my opinion, coupe styling with 4 door convenience... I'm sold if it look like that rendering!
My guess is optioned similarly to an F30, the 4GC will be $7-10K more expensive. And lease residuals very likely be lower than the F30 so lease customers will see a bigger hit.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #94
soolman32
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
My guess is optioned similarly to an F30, the 4GC will be $7-10K more expensive. And lease residuals very likely be lower than the F30 so lease customers will see a bigger hit.
That price difference would be acceptable. Why do think the residual value would be lower on the 4GC?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #95
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
That price difference would be acceptable. Why do think the residual value would be lower on the 4GC?
As models go upmarket, residuals are less. Fewer resale buyers.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #96
soolman32
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
As models go upmarket, residuals are less. Fewer resale buyers.
Makes sense. Thanks for the quick lesson.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #97
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
I sat in the back of a 6 GC and while it indeed has four doors, the back seat is decidedly coupe like. A full sized adult wouldn't want to ride very far in the back seat. My skinny 10 year old daughter complained about the space. I'm not sure if the 4 GC will be cramped, but the 6 sure is. It's BEAUTIFUL though!
Appreciate 0