F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Coding to change from 'Base' to Hi-Fi or Alpine - pointers and confirmation please :)
GetBMWParts

12-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
UK_JK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 320d M-Sport

Coding to change from 'Base' to Hi-Fi or Alpine - pointers and confirmation please :)

Good evening everyone!

This is my first time post here, so a quick introduction (skip to the end if you want, haha). I got my F30 about 8 weeks ago, my first BMW, a 320d White M-Sport.

My previous car was a Golf with Dynaudio sound upgrade, and I found that neither the HiFi or Harman Kardon upgrades were as good as what I had got used to with the Golf, so I decided to go for the base audio with the intent on doing an upgrade ASAP. (it's subjective, I know many people do like the HiFi and HK, which i'm glad of!)

I have learnt so much valuable information on these forums, and so, I have taken photos of my install and I am going to write a post-install log of everything, but rather than repeat what has been said before, i'm going to focus more on hints, tips and gotcha's that I encountered to try add to the existing knowledge-base

4 weeks after getting the car, I installed Eton B100W mids and tweeters.
4 weeks after that (last couple of days) I have installed the Rainbow IL-S8F underseat speakers, and an Audison Prima AP4.9 bit DSP Amp - photos, and review coming, I promise!

Here is where I would massively appreciate some help: (TL;DR!)

I would like to so some coding to change to either the HiFi or Alpine setting. I believe that they have a flatter EQ output (no treble boost!) and also is consistent regardless of the volume setting (as the base one changes with volume to protect the speakers, I have read?)

I have a working copy of E-Sys, and thankfully there is a wealth of information on it, but despite this, I panicked a bit and cancelled as I didn't feel confident enough of the correct procedure to do this. I didn't want to ask what is already out there, but I hope you understand that 'bricking' a car is a massive worry, haha!

So, could someone kindly confirm the procedure that should be followed to change to either HiFi or Alpine settings? And which is the better choice? The following post is very helpful for HiFi, though a bit jumbled up:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=982910

Does that post seem correct, and doable?

Sorry for the long post, hope you don't mind, and again, my install post will be posted once i've finished it!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
UK_JK
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry, think I might have waffled on a bit in the post above!

Could someone please just clarify this: HiFi coding vs Alpine Coding. What is the difference in terms of audio output? Both change the output to be a flatter EQ it seems. The HiFi option changes output from speaker-level to a lower level for going into the amplifier. What is the case for the Alpine coding? How is that different?

(I've spent days searching and still don't feel 100% sure)

Also, as for adding it in, I see there are 2 possible ways:
  • changing VO to change FA list (676 in SALPA for HiFi, or HO-Wort HiFi for Alpine), which will automatically change all individual settings, or
  • to do it all manually in HU_ENTRY, HU_CHAMP, HU_ENTRYNAV or HU_NBT

As it's not an alpine amp or the hifi amp, the only thing I want to change is the EQ, without changing anything else really.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you so much.

James
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I could be wrong but I very much doubt that you can do any coding with the base audio head unit.
Appreciate 1
UK_JK4.00
      12-30-2018, 05:56 PM   #4
UK_JK
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh right, thanks Bill, though I hope not! From what i've read, I thought the head unit is the same regardless of base/hifi/HK, (i.e. no amp, 'analog' hifi amp or HK amp using optical MOST) the Nav option is what changes, could be completely wrong here though?!

It wouldn't be the end of the world, as I can change the amp EQ/DSP, but i'd rather try and start with a flat output than polishing a turd, so to speak!

The main thing is that the base stereo EQ changes with respect to volume setting, which isn't ideal.

Thanks, James
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 08:41 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

My understanding is that the base head is self contained, with on board amplification, making it totally different from hi-fi/HK.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 09:08 PM   #6
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6sp

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
My understanding is that the base head is self contained, with on board amplification, making it totally different from hi-fi/HK.
Yea I was not aware that you could change a setting and have it suddenly work, i know base is on board amp, hifi is amp in trunk, and hk is diffrent amp in trunk.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 11:48 AM   #7
Ibo24
New BMW owner
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 316d, BMW F40 116d

Garage List
My advice under my findings, use 676 in the VO instead of HIFI H-WORT.

676 plays a bit better than using H-WORT HIFI.
Appreciate 1
UK_JK4.00
      12-31-2018, 04:44 PM   #8
UK_JK
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibo24 View Post
My advice under my findings, use 676 in the VO instead of HIFI H-WORT.

676 plays a bit better than using H-WORT HIFI.
Great, thanks for that! Any chance you could explain what you found and why hifi was better than alpine setting? thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 04:50 PM   #9
Ibo24
New BMW owner
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_JK View Post
Great, thanks for that! Any chance you could explain what you found and why hifi was better than alpine setting? thanks!
I found the music in the VO 676 more deep and better balanced than the HIFI in HO-WERT.

Best way is to try it yourself, you won't hurt the system, not everyone is the same.
Coding is the easiest coding ever.
Appreciate 1
UK_JK4.00
      01-01-2019, 11:11 AM   #10
JustAnotherN57
Rep
Drives: N57 powered, stage 1

Dont worry - did a very similar speaker /amp upgrade path on my G30 with base audio - simply a case of coding (aka changing a parameter) to output the flat hi-fi signal instead of the basic audio eq'd noise. Just changed within the NBT2 settings, you'll know when you see it.
Sounds fantastic now, especially with the less harsh Eton tweeter (ive had factory HK in previous 3ers and 5ers).
Appreciate 1
UK_JK4.00
      01-02-2019, 03:23 AM   #11
UK_JK
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the help!

I followed a guide and added 676 into the SALPA list, though it didn't do anything. The CAFD settings under NBT2 didn't get automatically changed either so I think I might have missed something out.

I did get a result when changing the CAFD settings for NBT2 directly, and it changed, very flat!

I didn't get a screenshot, but there are 2 settings, one for the system type ('base', hifi etc), and one to select the amplifier, which IIRC has options of internal, external, MOST which is base, hifi and HK respectively. I left it on internal, but changing the other setting to "hifi" still resulted in the lower output levels, so presumably the amplifier setting doesn't do anything...I think?!

I'm kind of torn, I want the flat EQ of Hifi setting, but the speaker-level output of Base, since my rear speakers are not amplified (other than by HU) and it means my PDC is quiet when on HiFi, damn. Also, would be a better signal to noise ratio.

:S
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 06:18 PM   #12
JustAnotherN57
Rep

Yeah, i have the same issue with unamped rear speakers but it only bothers the kids! Ive been blown away by how good the Etons sound with Match 8" underseats and the relatively inexpensive Helix D4 4ch amp. The NBT units are quite sensitive to the high level amp input stage and the Helix amp is advertised as 'intelligent'. I tried a more expensive amp without a smart input and got error codes reported and occassional silence when the NBT seemed to shut down channels proactively.

Just stick to changing the system setting would be my advice, and keep an eye on the visual pdc! The flat EQ is essential imho.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 03:14 AM   #13
UK_JK
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, I think you're right about the flat EQ being most important.

Did you try the Alpine setting by any chance? I might give that ago, see how it compares. I think the alpine retrofit is front only too, would be a miracle if that meant flat output with the rears amplified but fronts at the lower-level. Not holding my breath though!

Will be the weekend when I get to have another play. I want to get this setup right and then post what I did as this last bit with coding out the EQ has been a bit of a mystery in some respect.

Cheers, James.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 08:19 AM   #14
JustAnotherN57
Rep

Dont think i saw an Alpine option but its worth a stab, five minutes is all it took to change.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #15
Ibo24
New BMW owner
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_JK View Post
Thanks for the help!

I followed a guide and added 676 into the SALPA list, though it didn't do anything. The CAFD settings under NBT2 didn't get automatically changed either so I think I might have missed something out.

I did get a result when changing the CAFD settings for NBT2 directly, and it changed, very flat!

I didn't get a screenshot, but there are 2 settings, one for the system type ('base', hifi etc), and one to select the amplifier, which IIRC has options of internal, external, MOST which is base, hifi and HK respectively. I left it on internal, but changing the other setting to "hifi" still resulted in the lower output levels, so presumably the amplifier setting doesn't do anything...I think?!

I'm kind of torn, I want the flat EQ of Hifi setting, but the speaker-level output of Base, since my rear speakers are not amplified (other than by HU) and it means my PDC is quiet when on HiFi, damn. Also, would be a better signal to noise ratio.

:S
You should hear the difference immediately!

If you like, I'dd help you with the coding through Teamviewer.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 04:09 AM   #16
UK_JK
United Kingdom
Rep

JustAnotherN57, if I have any luck I'll let you know then, sounds like we have similar setups!

Ibo24, thank you that's very kind! I'll have another stab at it this weekend and if I have no luck I might take you up on that please

Thanks, James
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #17
howe9191
Private
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6, 2013 F30 328i

Garage List
2012 M6 F13  [10.00]
2013 bmw f30  [10.00]
Hi, just want to seek for your advice on best coding for 676 audio system. I have a stock Hi-Fi 676 option (with stock speaker as well) and what’s best coding tweak that can produce best sound? I’ve done coding B&o and I liked the sound. Beside this anymore that can code to fine tune the sound?

Example like coding audio variant? Amplifier variant? Audio_system? Multichannel? Etc
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 10:01 AM   #18
PsyCLown
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D LCI

Does changing the base sound to HiFi remove the EQ?

How is the crossover managed? Is there any crossover applied to the front and rear speakers? Where could one get a full signal from?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 04:17 AM   #19
mitesh33
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i Sport

I'm the same situation here.

I have the 2012 F30 in the UK with Base Audio. I too want to code to HIFI. Is the possible via the BimmerCode App in expert mode? if so what settings to I need to change?

My setup will be little different. I will not be doing anything to the OEM rear door speakers, they will stay OEM. As I never run rear speakers in my setups (as I like the sound all from the front)

I will add a 6 channel DSP/Amplifier to run:
2x Front Door Tweeters
2x Front Door Mid-Ranges
2x Underseat Woofers.

These will all run active from the Amplifier, my question is if the iDrive is coded to HIFI, what will happen to the OEM rear door speakers with regards to the PDC sound?

As from my understand coding to HIFI means the headunit output will go to Low Level balanced meaning if the OEM rear door speakers are left connected the audio level will be really low? can some clarify.

Also from my understanding if coding to HIFI, the iDrive headunit outputs need to RCA wired not speaker level to the DSP/AMP?

many thanks
Appreciate 0