F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Heads-up display made for short people?
GetBMWParts

11-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
SecretAsianMan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

Heads-up display made for short people?

Forgive the sarcastic subject. It looks like it's probably some sort of calibration issue, but in my new-to-me '14 335i xDrive the heads up display image gets cut off at the top unless I hunch down. In settings I can adjust the image height, but it moves the image around inside of the "cut off window" and moving it up just makes it cut off even easier.

I'm not especially tall or anything, but it looks like I either need to be really short or have my seating position slammed to the ground to see the whole heads up display.

Looked in the manual to no avail. Is there some procedure for calibrating the heads-up display projector angle?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAsianMan View Post
Forgive the sarcastic subject. It looks like it's probably some sort of calibration issue, but in my new-to-me '14 335i xDrive the heads up display image gets cut off at the top unless I hunch down. In settings I can adjust the image height, but it moves the image around inside of the "cut off window" and moving it up just makes it cut off even easier.

I'm not especially tall or anything, but it looks like I either need to be really short or have my seating position slammed to the ground to see the whole heads up display.

Looked in the manual to no avail. Is there some procedure for calibrating the heads-up display projector angle?
Don't think so. You are limited by the location of the screen material in-bedded in the windshield. you can only move the display around within that limit.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #3
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Don't think so. You are limited by the location of the screen material in-bedded in the windshield. you can only move the display around within that limit.
Exactly; or you can raise your seat It is limited in range....

Love the member name too - SecretAsianMan (singing it in my head now lol)

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 05:28 PM   #4
SecretAsianMan
Enlisted Member
Rep

There is no screen material in the windshield, it's a projector on the dashboard shooting up. I was hoping there would be a way to tilt the angle of the projector.

I don't know how anyone could use this if they're over about 5'6....
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 11:11 PM   #5
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
With all due respect, learn to adjust your seat properly.

Apparently you are used to driving in a truck.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #6
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is no screen material in the windshield, it's a projector on the dashboard shooting up. I was hoping there would be a way to tilt the angle of the projector.

I have absolutely no issue with adjustments and I'm 6'1"

Per the 2013 BMW F30 Owners manual:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
kabrichx133.00
      11-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #7
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:

There *is* an area of reflective material in the windshield that allows you to see the HUD; otherwise the display would be "shooting out" into outer space with nothing to stop it.

That's why there is a different (and much more expensive) replacement windshield for HUD equipped cars.

I'm six feet tall. My wife is 5'4". The HUD works just fine for both of us when the seat and display (which change with driver profiles) are properly adjusted.
Appreciate 1
kabrichx133.00
      11-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #8
SecretAsianMan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Seems like something's gotta be misaligned on mine. The only way to see the whole image in the HUD is to crouch down until your eyes are barely over the steering wheel.

The windshield is just a regular windshield with a dielectric film, the windshield is not rocket science. It relies on angle of incidence exceeding brewster's angle to reflect into the cabin, which is why it you can't see it with some polarized sunglasses (depending on angle of polarization). It's expensive because of market forces.

So it's clear that something is wrong with the alignment on mine. Anyone with a service manual know how to calibrate this thing?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #9
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Seems like something's gotta be misaligned on mine. The only way to see the whole image in the HUD is to crouch down until your eyes are barely over the steering wheel.

The windshield is just a regular windshield with a dielectric film, the windshield is not rocket science. It relies on angle of incidence exceeding brewster's angle to reflect into the cabin, which is why it you can't see it with some polarized sunglasses (depending on angle of polarization). It's expensive because of market forces.

So it's clear that something is wrong with the alignment on mine. Anyone with a service manual know how to calibrate this thing?
Did you buy your car from a dealership? if so, take it in to be addressed. I don't find anything in the Bentley's about accessing, removing or physically adjusting the HUD unit. I suspect it is pretty much of a fixed position when bolted in. There is definitely something amiss with yours.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #10
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Take your left hand, reach for the seat adjustment, lower your seat.

Calibration complete.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Anyone with a service manual know how to calibrate this thing?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #12
SecretAsianMan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabrichx View Post
Take your left hand, reach for the seat adjustment, lower your seat.

Calibration complete.
The seat would have to sit about 6 inches below the floor pan for this to work.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #13
SecretAsianMan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Did you buy your car from a dealership? if so, take it in to be addressed. I don't find anything in the Bentley's about accessing, removing or physically adjusting the HUD unit. I suspect it is pretty much of a fixed position when bolted in. There is definitely something amiss with yours.
Thanks! Appreciate the helpful response.

Yep guess back to the stealership on this one.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 06:35 PM   #14
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The seat would have to sit about 6 inches below the floor pan for this to work.
Quote:

If the unit was projecting that far off on the windshield, it would not work as it would miss the reflective area designed to show the HUD Display and you would see nothing.

So again, lower your seat.

Nothing the Dealership can do.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 09:41 PM   #15
SecretAsianMan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Seat is bottomed out, and I'm not a tall guy - image cut off. There is no "reflective area designed.." on the windshield, the whole thing is coated in a dielectric coating, edge to edge.

Not sure how much clearer I can be on it without sounding like an asshole. Next-gen surface relief grating optics is part of my career path and I can tell you with great certainty that the issue is a miscalibrated projector. I'm asking if anyone knows the dealer procedure for calibrating it because I'd rather not spend the money.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 05:37 AM   #16
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Plenty of members have tried to help and still it is not going through.

Take it to the dealer and stop sounding like an...

Quote:
Seat is bottomed out, and I'm not a tall guy - image cut off. There is no "reflective area designed.." on the windshield, the whole thing is coated in a dielectric coating, edge to edge.

Not sure how much clearer I can be on it without sounding like an asshole. Next-gen surface relief grating optics is part of my career path and I can tell you with great certainty that the issue is a miscalibrated projector. I'm asking if anyone knows the dealer procedure for calibrating it because I'd rather not spend the money.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #17
SecretAsianMan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Got some helpful replies (thanks!), got some clueless-dipshit replies. I appreciate the attempts to help from those that did.

Called dealer. They said it's a common problem if the projector unit gets bumped during windshield replacement and there's a procedure to calibrate it.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 11:00 AM   #18
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Surprised no one mentioned it, but if you're taller then you need to adjust the HUD down, not up. I have my seat all the way down and have had to bump the HUD down some after driving as I get used to the seating position. Plus there are small crosshairs in the corner to let you know when it is aligned properly. You shouldn't need a dealership for this one.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #19
craeg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i convertible

you can adjust the HUD up and down as well as rotating it. I had a similar problem and fixed it that way.
Appreciate 0