F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dinantronics (MPPK version)- Dyno Results
proTUNING Freaks

04-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #23
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
The dip in torque could possibly be attributed to the fact that I have a catback exhaust, which sometimes causes torque to go down a hair.
Nope, it can't.
I read that, with a resonator deletion (like my Borla), horsepower goes up but torque potentially goes down a hair.

Just reporting what I read through some research....
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #24
F30MSport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M3 6MT

Thanks for sharing your results, I've been waiting on the Dinantronics to potentially stack with my "old" MPPK. Smart to dyno before and after, if the numbers don't make sense use the 3 day return policy!
      04-13-2015, 09:54 PM   #25
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
I read that, with a resonator deletion (like my Borla), horsepower goes up but torque potentially goes down a hair.

Thats on naturally aspirated motors. I believed the same thing, but after some studying, I found that turbo motors like a wide open exhaust. The turbo provides backpressure for the motor, and the less pressure behind it, the easier it is for the turbo to spin and the less the lag.

As against it as I am, and I am REALLY against it, I'm actually looking at possibly going catless to open up the exhaust.
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2015, 06:22 AM   #26
613Bimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: One car with good steering ;)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Thats on naturally aspirated motors. I believed the same thing, but after some studying, I found that turbo motors like a wide open exhaust. The turbo provides backpressure for the motor, and the less pressure behind it, the easier it is for the turbo to spin and the less the lag.

As against it as I am, and I am REALLY against it, I'm actually looking at possibly going catless to open up the exhaust.
Did you just say you want to go CATLESS!!! Wow, I'm looking for flying pigs out of my window but none to report so far.

To the OP : Wow, congrats on such good numbers. I was sort of turned off of Dinan before because of the seemingly conservative numbers that it was putting out but I always wanted the peace of mind of a warranty. Now I can rest because I've found a tune that I may actually want...

Also, would it be worth running a chargepipe and/or a DP with a Dinan tune or would it not be necessary?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #27
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F**Enthusiast View Post
Did you just say you want to go CATLESS!!! Wow, I'm looking for flying pigs out of my window but none to report so far.

To the OP : Wow, congrats on such good numbers. I was sort of turned off of Dinan before because of the seemingly conservative numbers that it was putting out but I always wanted the peace of mind of a warranty. Now I can rest because I've found a tune that I may actually want...

Also, would it be worth running a chargepipe and/or a DP with a Dinan tune or would it not be necessary?
Really, don't want to, but it seems like the best way to go. I may do it for a short time until CG Precision releases their new downpipes. Their 100cpi cats should flow really well, yet still be legal.

Chargepipe is a good idea all the time with these motors. Even stock.
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #28
Dosturbos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F48 X1 MSport

Quote:

Why are you so against catless? Its going to add another 20+ WHP to the wheels and at least that in TQ.
If properly installed it shouldn't stink or drone.
I didn't buy a 6 cylinder turbo car because I care about the environment. And have you seen the future generation? Earth is literally going to implode in the next 50 years. You might as well enjoy yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #29
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

The Earth was pummeled with asteroids for half a billion years, a little CFC's ain't no thing. Plus you got China pumping the crap out like its a contest.
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #30
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:

WOW!! Inching towards 180 degrees!

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #31
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trcb777 View Post
The Earth was pummeled with asteroids for half a billion years, a little CFC's ain't no thing. Plus you got China pumping the crap out like its a contest.

LOL!!

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 11:33 AM   #32
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosturbos View Post
Why are you so against catless? Its going to add another 20+ WHP to the wheels and at least that in TQ.
If properly installed it shouldn't stink or drone.
I didn't buy a 6 cylinder turbo car because I care about the environment. And have you seen the future generation? Earth is literally going to implode in the next 50 years. You might as well enjoy yourself.
Because cats exist for a reason, and like it or not, they are the law. I need one to pass inspection, and I want to keep my car.
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #33
Dosturbos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You can't pass inspection with a DP and JB4?
I passed inspection twice with Catless DP's on my N54, but I had a DP fix wired into my harness.
Laws are meant to be broken, especially the lame ones that shit on our freedom and fun times in the tiniest of ways.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #34
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can't pass inspection with a DP and JB4?
I passed inspection twice with Catless DP's on my N54, but I had a DP fix wired into my harness.
Laws are meant to be broken, especially the lame ones that shit on our freedom and fun times in the tiniest of ways.
Nope. Second they look under the car and see no cat, I fail. NYC has inspection similar to CA. Full safety, OBD-2 and visual. Plus, doesn't the JB4 just turn the code off? The rear O2 still shows as "Not Ready", which is another reason to fail me. Would have better luck with a catalytic spacer.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #35
Dosturbos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Not surprised, NY and CA have too many laws...and wouldn't you know it, a lot of prisons and people in them.
NY drug laws are equally ridiculous.
Sorry your state blows goats when it comes to having fun.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #36
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Interesting. I've lived in CA my entire life and have modded my cars as I wish with not a single repercussion. Guess I gotta put the cats back on all my modded cars and tell AMS to return my GTR back to stock before they ship it back to me this summer.

Good to know.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #37
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

The blind have lead the blind for ages causing this misinformation.

It all started back in 1952 when two guys, Cletus and Buford, took a hacksaw to the exhaust manifolds of their 47 Ford. Exhaust pulses were screwed and they noticed reduced torque when they put it on the dyno, but they saw improved 60-130 MPH times with a VBox. The car made more power at the expense of torque due to the Jerry-rigged exhaust setup...but boy oh boy did the noise make for a hootin' n hollerin' time.

Ever since then, people on the internet have thought a reduction in backpressure causes a decrease in torque. There is almost no evidence supporting this even in small NA engines nowadays, and is nowhere near true for turbocharged engines.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #38
Dosturbos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I was going to say I lived in CA for 10 years and still visit on occasion. CA has more performance and tuning shops than anywhere in the country. I wish my car lived there. Hard to find a shop that knows how to properly install a DP for a BMW around here. Have AMS send your GTR to Boston, I will take real good care of her. We even have 93 Octane at the pump here.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #39
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I was going to say I lived in CA for 10 years and still visit on occasion. CA has more performance and tuning shops than anywhere in the country. I wish my car lived there. Hard to find a shop that knows how to properly install a DP for a BMW around here. Have AMS send your GTR to Boston, I will take real good care of her. We even have 93 Octane at the pump here.
Hmmm, thanks...I'll take you up on that. Without access to 93 octane here, the car will be relegated to only run on VP Import when it's back.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #40
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Interesting. I've lived in CA my entire life and have modded my cars as I wish with not a single repercussion. Guess I gotta put the cats back on all my modded cars and tell AMS to return my GTR back to stock before they ship it back to me this summer.

Good to know.
Then good for you, you found a way around CARB.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 04:37 PM   #41
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Then good for you, you found a way around CARB.
I've never had the need to find a way around CARB because I haven't had a reason to get involved with them in the first place. I have never had to smog a car I own or take it to get inspected.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #42
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep

I just looked it up. No safety inspections in CA and emissions is every 2 years on cars older than 6 years old except in certain metropolitan areas. They cut back a lot.

I gotta have safety every year, and OBD2 every year after 2 years old.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #43
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F**Enthusiast
Quote:

These tunes are so temperamental....if the Dinan tune isn't designed to run with a downpipe, I'd be careful. I remember another member had trouble with the Dinan tune early on just because of the amount of air entering the airbox (the MPPK airbox), but has since been remedied. Shows you how sensitive these things are.

The stage 2 Dinan tune is just around the corner, and I'm willing to be the downpipe would be great for that. A charge pipe shouldn't matter either way....no performance gain.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #44
Dosturbos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
These tunes are so temperamental....if the Dinan tune isn't designed to run with a downpipe, I'd be careful. I remember another member had trouble with the Dinan tune early on just because of the amount of air entering the airbox (the MPPK airbox), but has since been remedied. Shows you how sensitive these things are.

The stage 2 Dinan tune is just around the corner, and I'm willing to be the downpipe would be great for that. A charge pipe shouldn't matter either way....no performance gain.
Cobb pro tune needs to happen
Appreciate 1