F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 430i F36 loose or strange steering feeling
Studio RSR

01-26-2024, 03:30 PM   #1
Albozzz
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i F36

430i F36 loose or strange steering feeling

Hi guys!

Brand new to this forum, but I've only heard good about it.
If thread is placed in wrong sub-forum - please move it to the right place!

Just bought an 2018 430i F36 GC with 87.000 km or 54k miles. The car is really fun and all, but I've seem to have some kind of strange problem with it?

While traveling +60mph the steering feels very unbalanced, sort to say. I cant really "control the car" because steering is ultra sensitive and sometimes I wonder what somebody would think driving behind me and seeing me like not being able to keep the damn car straight? I go left-and-right trying to calm down the freaking steering wheel but its so damn sensitive that I cant find a "resting position" where the car just goes straight!

It's not pulling to any side - its more that the freaking steering wheel is so sensitive that a normal human being cant keep the car straight enough for the car not to go right or left. Slightly little bump that moves my hand by milimeters makes me loose the ability to keep it straight on the road. Its not "coming from behind", its 100 % my input on the steering wheel that causes this but I dont know why its so super-sensitive?

I have had an 5-series F10 before this one and it was absolutely not like this! This is not natural behaviour of any car but something is not as it should be but I'm trying to figure out what.

You cant feel any of this while driving in the city - only on highways it behaves like this.

I could mention that previous owner have lowered the car a bit. It doesnt seem to have some camber or stance changing done to it, only lowered it. Can that be the case? My winter tires are in good condition and of premium brand. There is no bad sounds coming from anywhere and the car have been well cared for overall.

Any ideas what causes this?

Last edited by Albozzz; 01-26-2024 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 04:35 PM   #2
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

Have you gotten an alignment? Are your tires at proper inflation?

And lowering a car can definitely affect castor/camber/toe. So what’s changed from OE suspension: springs, shocks, coil overs, sways, control arms?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 04:50 PM   #3
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

An issue with suspension maybe?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 05:43 PM   #4
Albozzz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
Have you gotten an alignment? Are your tires at proper inflation?

And lowering a car can definitely affect castor/camber/toe. So what’s changed from OE suspension: springs, shocks, coil overs, sways, control arms?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
I have not done any alignment. Tires should be at proper inflation and I’ve tried both high bar pressure and low - just to see if it affects this problem I have, but it doesn’t. Its the same with air pressure.

To be honest I have no idea what has been changed to it other than it being lowered. I want to just take it to the local dealer and make it all stock again…. I like how it looks but I cant have it like this…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 05:45 PM   #5
Albozzz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
Suspension feels really good… I dont think the problem lies there…
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 06:35 PM   #6
LA430
Private
Rep
Drives: 430i

I would get an alignment firstly. If it’s happening on a highway only it’s probably tramlining. Mine does the same in heavily rutted roads, but I have a little more camber and front toe in than spec.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 06:42 PM   #7
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep

Nice M Performance edition.

Looks only slightly lowered - maybe just a spring swap. That wouldn’t do it…
OEM 19” wheels, not odd looking tires - so nothing there would do it..
You’re not X-Drive are you? what winter tire sizes are you running?

Go get an alignment with your winter wheel/tire set-up. Could be as simple as that. Have them test drive it at speed after to see if the issue is still there.

Only other thing might be steering? There’s a known issue that a few folks have reported has a ‘dead center’ issue, but your symptoms seems opposite…
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 03:52 AM   #8
Albozzz
Rep

No xDrive.
Winter tyres are of some brand I don’t remember just while writing this but they should be 225/50/R17 - and it is with the winter tyres I came to recognize this problem.

I can’t remember having this problem with summer wheels, but at the same time I am not sure if I ever got to test them on the highway before changing them.

Maybe I should wait some months until summer wheels are on again and see if they behave same?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 08:25 AM   #9
Albozzz
Rep

Quote:
Nice M Performance edition.

Looks only slightly lowered - maybe just a spring swap. That wouldn’t do it…
OEM 19” wheels, not odd looking tires - so nothing there would do it..
You’re not X-Drive are you? what winter tire sizes are you running?

Go get an alignment with your winter wheel/tire set-up. Could be as simple as that. Have them test drive it at speed after to see if the issue is still there.

Only other thing might be steering? There’s a known issue that a few folks have reported has a ‘dead center’ issue, but your symptoms seems opposite…
I have been reading about this thing by trying to Google it - and several people reports exactly how I describe it.

Seems to be a F-series problem? People reporting this even on F15 which would be X5? Thats really interesting. And they explain it as something to do with the ”electronic power steering” of some sort - which prevoius generations ”E”, did not have since they had a hydraulic system.

Didnt really understand it but if several people reports same thing then its something that maybe isnt occuring only on my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 10:39 AM   #10
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep

So you’re not running winter tires on your OEM 19” wheels. I didn’t think you could fit 17” wheels on an F36… what’s the wheel brand/size/offset?

225/50-17s huh? 50 series tires means a big sidewall - perhaps too much for the loading? BMW requires high-load rated tires.

I really doubt it’s the electric steering. I think it’s your winter wheels/tires setup.

It can’t hurt to do the alignment or have it checked out at speed by a mechanic. I wouldn’t chance the safety risks and keep driving it as-is, or wait until you put your summer wheels/tires back on to do something..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 01:06 PM   #11
Albozzz
Rep

Quote:
So you’re not running winter tires on your OEM 19” wheels. I didn’t think you could fit 17” wheels on an F36… what’s the wheel brand/size/offset?

225/50-17s huh? 50 series tires means a big sidewall - perhaps too much for the loading? BMW requires high-load rated tires.

I really doubt it’s the electric steering. I think it’s your winter wheels/tires setup.

It can’t hurt to do the alignment or have it checked out at speed by a mechanic. I wouldn’t chance the safety risks and keep driving it as-is, or wait until you put your summer wheels/tires back on to do something..
Yeah. I just checked them and they are 225/50-17” (and it says 98T).

Brand: Brigdestone Blizzak.

Why wouldn’t I be able to have these on? My knowledge about this stuff is pretty low but I’ve never come across a car that can’t take tyres like these I have?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 02:06 PM   #12
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albozzz View Post
Yeah. I just checked them and they are 225/50-17” (and it says 98T).

Brand: Brigdestone Blizzak.

Why wouldn’t I be able to have these on? My knowledge about this stuff is pretty low but I’ve never come across a car that can’t take tyres like these I have?
They sound fine - I’m just unfamiliar with 17” wheels on this car. Blizzaks are well regarded winter tires and have the high load capability needed. So unlikely it’s those now too….

I’m outta ideas what your overly sensitive steering centering symptoms could be - and you don’t seem to want to try the obvious initial thought that it might be wheel alignment issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 02:08 PM   #13
Albozzz
Rep

Quote:
They sound fine - I’m just unfamiliar with 17” wheels on this car. Blizzaks are well regarded winter tires and have the high load capability needed. So unlikely it’s those now too….

I’m outta ideas what your overly sensitive steering centering symptoms could be - and you don’t seem to want to try the obvious initial thought that it might be wheel alignment issues.
I will try that after a quick test-drive with summer tires first. Thats the only option left.

So big thanks for your time!!
Appreciate 0