F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Akrapovic B58 downpipe for OPF cars?
Studio RSR

12-23-2023, 03:43 AM   #1
4coupe440i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 series

Akrapovic B58 downpipe for OPF cars?

I have the following mystery. I am looking for Akrapovic downpipe for my B58 2016 440i. If you look into that you find a downpipe with type number:

DP-BM/SS/5/H

Now the confusion: Akrapovic website seems to suggest the same downpipe for cars equipped with an OPF/GPF also uses the same DP-BM/SS/5/H typenumber.

My supplier claims (based on info given by the local Akrapovic distributor) the DP-BM/SS/5/H is only suitable for an OPF car and there is currently NO version available for non-OPF cars.

It even states: the OPF version of this downpipe has a conical endsection which connect to the midpipe while the non-OPF version has a straight section and uses a clamp to make the connection to the midpipe. (Note: the straight version can be seen here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1506433)

Now my question: is there anybody here who has the DP-BM/SS/5/H downpipe on its OPF equipped car? Is there anybody who has a picture of the OPF version of this downpipe which proves the conical section?

Normally one would email the vendor for this type of questions but Akrapovic is known for not responding or just providing incorrect information.

Last edited by 4coupe440i; 12-23-2023 at 03:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 08:47 AM   #2
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Have you tried reaching out to them directly to confirm? If they don't get back to you, well, not helpful!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 06:23 PM   #3
4coupe440i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Is there maybe anybody who can show me a user picture of any brand of OPF downpipe for the B58 engine? A picture which shows the conical section.

There are several brands selling downpipes for non-OPF cars & OPF cars but finding clear pictures showing the differences between those downpipes is apparently impossible.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 06:27 PM   #4
4coupe440i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Have you tried reaching out to them directly to confirm? If they don't get back to you, well, not helpful!
I have tried this but for now no reaction. Other people on this forum have tried contacting Akrapovic as well but never got a response.

I have contacted several Akrapovic dealers and they all come to the conclusion there is really only a downpipe available for the OPF version. But the pictures in their ordering system always show the non-OPF version.

On this forum there are several users which do have the Akrapovic downpipe on their non-OPF car.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 06:10 AM   #5
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Can't you just order and return if it is not the right one? Might be the easiest approach.
      12-27-2023, 05:03 PM   #6
4coupe440i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Is there maybe anybody who can show me a user picture of any brand of OPF downpipe for the B58 engine? A picture which shows the conical section.
To answer my own question.

Only in Europe somewhere in 2018 the F3x 340i/440i models with B58 engine were delivered with OPF. In the middle of 2019 these cars were followed up by the G2x cars. So only for around a year, only in Europe you would need a downpipe which looks like this:

So a F3x with B58 with the conical connection to the midpipe never existed!

For the G2x B58 cars with OPF filter a downpipe looks like this:

A complete overview on all downpipe variants for the B58 is written in this informative article: https://www.psr-parts.com/blogs/proj...e-tuning-guide
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50