F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Landscapers from Hell
proTUNING Freaks

07-15-2017, 09:08 PM   #1
MojoRider
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 430i

Landscapers from Hell

Renting a house in San Diego for the summer. Landscapers came today to cut grass, etc. after they left I went outside to find that in their zeal to blow off the driveway they succeeded in sand blasting my wife new Mazda(pic attached-for illustrative purpose ran my fingers cross the hood, not smart) and my 4 week old 430. 430 got it much worse as it was on the side adjacent to dirt,pebble bed. Appears to be hundreds of minute scratches in the mineral grey paint. Thoughts on anything to restore the finish would be appreciated.
Attached Images

07-15-2017, 09:23 PM   #2
add911_11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330I M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRider View Post
Renting a house in San Diego for the summer. Landscapers came today to cut grass, etc. after they left I went outside to find that in their zeal to blow off the driveway they succeeded in sand blasting my wife new Mazda(pic attached-for illustrative purpose ran my fingers cross the hood, not smart) and my 4 week old 430. 430 got it much worse as it was on the side adjacent to dirt,pebble bed. Appears to be hundreds of minute scratches in the mineral grey paint. Thoughts on anything to restore the finish would be appreciated.
I fell really sorry for you and your wife.

The only fortunate thing is that it seems the original paint is still here, maybe the lacquer had been damaged.

Therefore, I believe any reputable detailer, those that take good day or two to detail customer's car, will be able to restore it.

Perhaps at this juncture, you should put this incident in record to the workers in question.
Appreciate 1
MojoRider103.50
      07-15-2017, 09:36 PM   #3
MojoRider
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by add911_11 View Post

The only fortunate thing is that it seems the original paint is still here, maybe the lacquer had been damaged.

Therefore, I believe any reputable detailer, those that take good day or two to detail customer's car, will be able to restore it.

Perhaps at this juncture, you should put this incident in record to the workers in question.
Thanks. Just discovered 90 minutes ago, still in awe at the stupidity. Agree in looking further appears scratches in the lacquer, not the paint. I'll find us a detailer to take a look. Was thinking about a clear bra, just didn't think I'd need it in the driveway.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 06:28 AM   #4
add911_11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330I M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by add911_11 View Post

Thanks. Just discovered 90 minutes ago, still in awe at the stupidity. Agree in looking further appears scratches in the lacquer, not the paint. I'll find us a detailer to take a look. Was thinking about a clear bra, just didn't think I'd need it in the driveway.
For your 0.02%, I don't think typical clay bar can work up the damaged or missing lacquer...
Appreciate 1
MojoRider103.50
      07-16-2017, 06:32 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Ugh, sorry to hear of this. Sheesh, then run a finger to *really* scrape up the clearcoat

Easy fix, probably just polish it with Meguiar's 105, then 205, and then final polish plus wax using a DA buffer (or regular one). Maybe four hours work max.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 1
MojoRider103.50
      07-16-2017, 08:56 AM   #6
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
First of all, the "scratches" in your clearcoat are not a result of the lawn guy's blower. Rubbing your finger through the dust on the paint definitely is a factor. If you use automated car washes that are not "touchless" or don't use cloth "brushes", you'll get those tiny scratches. You'll also get them from using the wrong kind of cloths/towels to dry or polish the paint. Try this:

Step 1 - wash car and dry with artificial chamois or thick microfiber towel - not standard terrycloth
Step 2 - use an extremely fine polish with an orbital buffer and foam pad to minimize whatever scratches are in the clearcoat
Step 3 - apply either paint sealant (such as Griot's) or a good quality carnauba or poly wax with the aforementioned orbital, then remove the residue with a microfiber cloth/towel
Step 4, and most important - put your cars in the garage to avoid further issues!

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 2
MojoRider103.50
Wires1645.50
      07-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

schedule your lawn service to come when you are not parked in the driveway.. or just talk to them to let you know when they service the lawn and you can plan accordingly. I had this issue where i work and now the lawn service is not allowed to mow during our work hours.