F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Heated Seat Wiring
Studio RSR

01-28-2019, 04:23 PM   #1
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

Heated Seat Wiring

Hi guys,

I've bought a set of heated leather seats for my F30 to replace the crappy cloth interior that the car came with. I'm fine with physically swapping the seats over so I know I can at least get to a point where I have a standard leather interior.

I'm also fine with buying a new climate panel with heated seat controls, fitting that and VO coding the car for heated seats. However what I'm not sure about is the wiring. From searching I know that the wiring isn't there but that 3 wires are needed per seat - power, ground and control.

I live in the UK, Hampshire and was wondering if anyone knows of anyone in or around the south that would be able to fit all this wiring for me?

I'm quite happy to attempt things myself and I'd be happy enough to have a go but the guides I've found seem to be based on people having a bit more knowledge of this kind of thing than I do. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 07:34 AM   #2
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Not having much luck finding anyone offering any services to do this for me so I guess I will have to give it a go myself.

Does anyone have any wiring diagrams that they'd be able to share? I've done a fair bit of Googling and the best I've found is something that only shows the REM module connection for one of the seats.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 10:16 AM   #3
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f30-320i-lim/wiring-functional-info/body/seats/seat-heating-driver-s-seat/FpskI0wD
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

That's great, thank you for that.

Is there one for the front passenger seat too perchance?

Thanks again.

Edit: Ignore me, I can see it's there just from clicking up through the link tree.

So my car has a build date of October 2014. The seats that I'm getting aren't electric, just standard with heating elements in so I assume this means that I need:

"Wiring Diagram (SSP) Driver's seat heating
Applies to: NOT P459 (Seat adjustment, electrical, with memory) 2014/03+"

Which in turn means I need a ground wire, one wire to the front power distribution box and a wire to the REM. Shouldn't be too difficult to do

Last edited by Zheez; 01-31-2019 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I've just got one more question so if anyone is able to assist that'd be great.

I'm fine with everything that needs to be done but I'm not sure what ground points to use. Does anyone have any suggestions for easy to reach ground points that I could use for each seat?

I'm sure there are plenty but I haven't torn my car apart yet so just looking for suggestions before I do so when all the terminals and wires have arrived.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
david51
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: bmw M3 F80

Garage List
https://translate.google.fr/translat...hp%3Ft%3D34845
Appreciate 1
Zheez288.00
      02-06-2019, 12:42 PM   #7
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

That's extremely useful, thanks for that.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #8
david51
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: bmw M3 F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zheez View Post
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 09:09 AM   #9
sykesda
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d F31

Quote:
Hi Zheez,

I know this was a while a go but how did you get on with the wiring? I'm trying to do exactly the same and need some guidance on the wiring if at all possible?

I've already purchased the seats / ac panel and the wires that were listed in another post but there's no way they will reach the REM or Front fuse box.

Any help would be great. Also in the UK.

Cheers Dan
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #10
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

All working perfectly and still working fine over 1 and a half years later

I ended up buying a bunch of wire from a seller on that auction site. Looked through my emails and I ended up buying 10 metres of red 2.5mm² cable and another 10 metres of black 2.5mm² cable to deal with power and ground from each seat. I bought another 10 metres of 0.5mm² cable for the connection from the seats to the REM. I bought the relevant terminals and crimped them onto the power wires at each seat but for the smaller terminals (for the LINBUS to REM connection) I just used pre-crimped repair leads and soldered/heatshrunk them onto the wire I bought (3x 61130006663 I think, 1 for each seat then 1 for the REM pin).

Let me know if you need any more specifics. It's been a while but I'll try to remember.

Edit: What parts do you have exactly? Happy to give you a hand with it if you're ever near Portsmouth way, I can do the coding for you too. Just need some half decent weather for a few hours.

Last edited by Zheez; 09-24-2020 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 04:10 AM   #11
sykesda
Rep

Quote:
All working perfectly and still working fine over 1 and a half years later

I ended up buying a bunch of wire from a seller on that auction site. Looked through my emails and I ended up buying 10 metres of red 2.5mm² cable and another 10 metres of black 2.5mm² cable to deal with power and ground from each seat. I bought another 10 metres of 0.5mm² cable for the connection from the seats to the REM. I bought the relevant terminals and crimped them onto the power wires at each seat but for the smaller terminals (for the LINBUS to REM connection) I just used pre-crimped repair leads and soldered/heatshrunk them onto the wire I bought (3x 61130006663 I think, 1 for each seat then 1 for the REM pin).

Let me know if you need any more specifics. It's been a while but I'll try to remember.

Edit: What parts do you have exactly? Happy to give you a hand with it if you're ever near Portsmouth way, I can do the coding for you too. Just need some half decent weather for a few hours.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I've picked up 10m of 2.5mm for the power supply and grounding and 10m of 0.75mm to go to the REM.

I think I've now got my head around what needs doing to get them fitted just couldn't understand why there wouldn't be any wiring to back of the AC Unit for the heated seat buttons but I guess they are already there somewhere...lol

I've spoken to a couple of guys for the coding, apparently this can all be done remotely so keeping my fingers crossed.

Can I just ask where you feed all the wiring? Is it just a matter of feeding it under the carpet to get to the REM of is it all a long the door sill?

Thanks for your reply. Dan
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 08:01 AM   #12
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

No wiring needs to go to the AC panel because it’s all handled by CANBUS so that makes easier there.

For the wiring to the REM, I just popped off the lower trims by the doors and tucked the cable under the carpet. I ran one wire from each seat to the trim area by the right passenger seat and spliced the two wires together from there so it’s only one wire from that point on to the REM.

My F30 doesn’t have folding seats so it was a bit tricky trying to thread the wire through to get it out by the REM but I did it eventually. Hopefully you’ll have an easier time of it in your F31.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #13
sykesda
Rep

Quote:
No wiring needs to go to the AC panel because it’s all handled by CANBUS so that makes easier there.

For the wiring to the REM, I just popped off the lower trims by the doors and tucked the cable under the carpet. I ran one wire from each seat to the trim area by the right passenger seat and spliced the two wires together from there so it’s only one wire from that point on to the REM.

My F30 doesn’t have folding seats so it was a bit tricky trying to thread the wire through to get it out by the REM but I did it eventually. Hopefully you’ll have an easier time of it in your F31.
Quote:

Thanks for your reply and again for your advise. Looking forward to getting it done had the seats in my garage for a while now!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 10:43 AM   #14
Lewisb1997
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20

[QUOTE=Zheez;26721665]All working perfectly and still working fine over 1 and a half years later

Hi just wondering if you could give me the part numbers for the larger terminal connectors please? I’ve found some other threads but they’re confusing
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 09:51 AM   #15
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisb1997 View Post
Hi just wondering if you could give me the part numbers for the larger terminal connectors please? I’ve found some other threads but they’re confusing
Thanks
Which terminals? The larger power and ground one terminals for the seat connectors?

If so, I used 61138364834 - Socket contact ELO-Power 2,8x0,63.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2021, 03:17 PM   #16
Lewisb1997
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi just wondering if you could give me the part numbers for the larger terminal connectors please? I've found some other threads but they're confusing
Thanks
Which terminals? The larger power and ground one terminals for the seat connectors?

If so, I used 61138364834 - Socket contact ELO-Power 2,8x0,63.

Perfect thank you very much just waiting for the parts to come now. Which ECU's will need coding because I used some software to identify the codes and only came up with FEM using VO 494?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 09:20 AM   #17
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Perfect thank you very much just waiting for the parts to come now. Which ECU's will need coding because I used some software to identify the codes and only came up with FEM using VO 494?
I coded the REM (as that's where the linbus connection from each seat goes to) and the IHKA3 module (since you replace the climate control panel with a version with the heated seat buttons) and I'm pretty sure that was it. Don't remember doing anything with the FEM at all, but perhaps do that last if things don't start working.

Just in case you're not aware, after coding IHKA the AC light will flash for a few minutes which caught me out at first, I thought I'd broken something but all was well after it'd sorted itself out.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 12:31 PM   #18
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Is it strange I want to see the BMW cloth seats? Here in the US, I don't think cloth was EVER offered in a BMW. I'm curious.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 12:32 PM   #19
Lewisb1997
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I coded the REM (as that's where the linbus connection from each seat goes to) and the IHKA3 module (since you replace the climate control panel with a version with the heated seat buttons) and I'm pretty sure that was it. Don't remember doing anything with the FEM at all, but perhaps do that last if things don't start working.

Just in case you're not aware, after coding IHKA the AC light will flash for a few minutes which caught me out at first, I thought I'd broken something but all was well after it'd sorted itself out.

Perfect thank you very much for the help, I will tell you how it all goes once the Parts have arrived
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 03:57 AM   #20
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Perfect thank you very much for the help, I will tell you how it all goes once the Parts have arrived
No worries, let me know if I can help with anything else

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
Is it strange I want to see the BMW cloth seats? Here in the US, I don't think cloth was EVER offered in a BMW. I'm curious.
You guys are lucky Here's one of my seats taken out of the car though:

Last edited by Zheez; 01-07-2021 at 04:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 07:59 PM   #21
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just one other note on this while I remember. Pin 16 is also a ground point that uses a bigger terminal than 25 and 26 (part 61138364842). Some cars have this wire already there but mine didn't - I ran it anyway since I was also adding power for the electric side bolster control and I figured it would be the ground for that.

If your car already has a brown ground wire present at pin 16 then you should have no problems at all. If you don't have it and your heated seats don't work, then you'll probably need to grab one 61138364842 terminal for each seat and run an additional ground (or swap 26 over to 16 on the new terminal).

Basically I'm not sure if pin 16 or 26 is the ground for the seat heating. I assume it's 26 since it's the same size terminal as the heated seat power feed, but thought it was worth a mention just in case you have a problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:16 AM   #22
Lewisb1997
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Just one other note on this while I remember. Pin 16 is also a ground point that uses a bigger terminal than 25 and 26 (part 61138364842). Some cars have this wire already there but mine didn't - I ran it anyway since I was also adding power for the electric side bolster control and I figured it would be the ground for that.

If your car already has a brown ground wire present at pin 16 then you should have no problems at all. If you don't have it and your heated seats don't work, then you'll probably need to grab one 61138364842 terminal for each seat and run an additional ground (or swap 26 over to 16 on the new terminal).

Basically I'm not sure if pin 16 or 26 is the ground for the seat heating. I assume it's 26 since it's the same size terminal as the heated seat power feed, but thought it was worth a mention just in case you have a problem.
Perfect luckily I had ordered them already. Installed and coded them in last night and all is working well very happy with them. Thanks for the help they didn't work at first because I didn't check my wiring and put the ground and positive the wrong way round : but now works
Appreciate 0