F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Nano coating
Studio RSR

01-14-2021, 02:28 AM   #1
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Nano coating

Hi all,

did anyone having an nano coating on the car, seen a difference in snowfall?
Does the snow still lay on the car or dos it slide off?
      01-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #2
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Do you mean like a ceramic paint coating?

I've applied them to my cars for years now. Snow won't slide right off on it's own. Depending on the type of snow and the weather conditions it is helpful. Light powdery snow is no different. I lays lightly on the surface and just brushes right off. Heavier snow does come off much easier, and heavy set snow will slip right off as long as there isn't a layer of ice between the snow and the paint. With any snow, if the ice layer is there, all bets are off.

After all that, I guess the answer is, "it depends"!

The important thing to remember is coatings are great and they have their advantages for some people, but they aren't a magical cure-all like some marketing departments would lead you to believe.
      01-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #3
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Do you mean like a ceramic paint coating?

I've applied them to my cars for years now. Snow won't slide right off on it's own. Depending on the type of snow and the weather conditions it is helpful. Light powdery snow is no different. I lays lightly on the surface and just brushes right off. Heavier snow does come off much easier, and heavy set snow will slip right off as long as there isn't a layer of ice between the snow and the paint. With any snow, if the ice layer is there, all bets are off.

After all that, I guess the answer is, "it depends"!

The important thing to remember is coatings are great and they have their advantages for some people, but they aren't a magical cure-all like some marketing departments would lead you to believe.
Yes I was refering to paint coating. Everybody calls it differently

Thanks for your insight. I was just wondering since is throwing down here with snow, what would help me not having to go out tomorrow to brush it all off :-)

But as you rightly said... It depends.

Thanks again
      01-14-2021, 10:00 AM   #4
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

The only "coating" which will help with the snow is a carport / garage

A coating (wax, sealant, ceramic, etc.) may only help with getting it de-iced more easily, but even that is subjective. That's simply not what coatings are for
      01-14-2021, 11:50 AM   #5
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
The only "coating" which will help with the snow is a carport / garage

A coating (wax, sealant, ceramic, etc.) may only help with getting it de-iced more easily, but even that is subjective. That's simply not what coatings are for
The prices in my area of Germany are so high, that you can rent a whole apartment somewere further north for the same money :-)
      01-14-2021, 12:14 PM   #6
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Well. It is an apartment. For your car. Do it