F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Base Audio Questions
ARMA SPEED

06-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
Lazy1
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Base Audio Questions

Hello All,

I have a An F31 with base audio and i've put up with the base audio for far too long.... upgrade time

Ive been resding up as much as i can but still have a few questions i would be greatful to receive your input on:

Setup

The plan is to do upgrade all speakers and add an amplifier to power them all.

Amplifier - JL audio 700/5 (already have this kicking about)
Speakers - 2 sets of 4 inch components - TBD
Subwoofers - underseat - TBD

Questions:
1) Can the factory EQ settings be coded out of the headunit? i.e. flatten the EQ?
2) What do i do with the jumpers at the subwoofer end for the setup i want?
3) am i right in understanding that the speakers can be powered via the existing harness but the subwoofers will require addition wiring for my configuration?
4) is there anything wrong with running the underfloor subs off a bridged channel?
5) what the max depth of speakers and subs i can run?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 11:07 AM   #2
carmo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i xdrive

Hi,

I am assuming you truly have the base audio system without an amp. See below for my some comments after my experience with base audio hell. I can only comment on the stuff I did though. Hopefully you will get info from someone else for the other questions.

1. You can code HIFI. It is very easy and though this gets rid of the really bright treble I find the sound very dull and lacking in the tweeter department afterwards.

3. You can get a proper harness from Technic. He builds good quality custom harnesses that will supply all the inputs and outputs you will need.

If you go with components try to get some with dedicated crossover that allow you to attenuate the tweters. If you do you wont even need to code to HIFI. The crossover will do all the work. I bought the focal IFBMW-S and although they sound better after breaking in they are still very bright.

Good luck.

Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy1 View Post
Hello All,

I have a An F31 with base audio and i've put up with the base audio for far too long.... upgrade time

Ive been resding up as much as i can but still have a few questions i would be greatful to receive your input on:

Setup

The plan is to do upgrade all speakers and add an amplifier to power them all.

Amplifier - JL audio 700/5 (already have this kicking about)
Speakers - 2 sets of 4 inch components - TBD
Subwoofers - underseat - TBD

Questions:
1) Can the factory EQ settings be coded out of the headunit? i.e. flatten the EQ?
2) What do i do with the jumpers at the subwoofer end for the setup i want?
3) am i right in understanding that the speakers can be powered via the existing harness but the subwoofers will require addition wiring for my configuration?
4) is there anything wrong with running the underfloor subs off a bridged channel?
5) what the max depth of speakers and subs i can run?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

To answer question 1.

Yes this can be coded out.
if you add in the VO code for Hi-Fi (i think its 607) it will flatten out your signals and essential turn them into Pre-amp lines which you can run into your amp.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #4
Lazy1
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Thanks for the replies.

I was doing some browsing and noticed that a DSP is what most people use to extract better sound quality.

Ive just ordered a Rainbow 1.8 DSP.

Erm.... what do i do now?

Should i order separate component speakers? or do i have something like the MB Quart 200.3 up front?

Any suggestions please?

Also what does this mean for my wiring?

Thank you,
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
adz_cyp
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport Coupe F32

Need similar help

Hi Mate,
I have an f32 and im in exactly the same position. What did you do resoloution wise for this?

Thanks

Adz
Appreciate 0