F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Some buildup under (pressure?) hose
GetBMWParts

02-07-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
whyyoumontague
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive

Garage List
Some buildup under (pressure?) hose

2015 335i automatic trans
100k miles

As I was finishing up replacing my valve cover gasket I noticed this hose has some sort of buildup underneath it. The hose is attached to the air intake just before the sensor. Iím also not sure what this hose does exactly, tried searching the forum and found some sort of vague explanations. Any help or forum searching direction is much appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by whyyoumontague; 02-07-2020 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

It looks like that oil was flung up from underneath and deposited onto the hose, rather than coming from the hose itself. Maybe from the belt if you had a leak that dripped onto it?

I believe that hose is part of the auto trans breather system (another part of it goes to charge pipe)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 01:55 PM   #3
whyyoumontague
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive

Garage List
thejeremyman9 Thank you for helping me understand what this part does lol I was so lost with it.

Added a pic that shows some more detail..

I also thought it could have been oil flung up, but it almost looks like itís coming from there and then running in a stream down from it. These pics kind of show that better. Thereís also a hose blocking the bottom so nothing could really get thrown here.

Really just wondering if this is normal buildup over time and I should clean it and move on?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Well, you have some clear pictures of what it looks like, so i would probably say clean it and see if it come back.

With the way that hose slides into the intake and the fact that the intake is always under vacuum, i would say it would be difficult for oil to leak around the connection point in that way, even if the Oring on there was bad. What you can do is just take a look inside the intake where this hose connects. If there is evidence of oil deposits around that area and downstream (toward the turbo), that might be evidence that the oil was coming from that hose. If not, i would go back to the theory that the oil is coming from elsewhere.
Appreciate 0