F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > FMIC change?
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-14-2020, 08:18 PM   #1
Icecph
Private First Class
Icecph's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 440i GC
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

I did quite some research, and most of them comes to the conclusion of 'any' aftermarket FMIC would be better than OEM, as stock ones are underwhelming.
I also saw that CP is recommended at the same time, is this true?

Question is, does the brand matter a lot in terms of FMIC and CP?
Which brands are more preferable and would it be problematic if I bought a rather cheaper one?

Lastly, with no experience replacing any mechanic parts, is it risky to do the change yourself or is it better at Indy shops?
For 440i GC B58

Photo attached is G-Plus aluminum FMIC
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079P...EKSP&psc=1
For Bmw 3 Series F30 F31 / 4 Series F32 F33
Inlet / outlet size: 2 3/8"
50 % + More Volume Air Flow Then Oem Intercooler
Max Horsepower Capacity: 500hp+
Vehicle Tested. Perfect Fit. 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:37 PM   #2
Tpriest7893
Lieutenant
United_States
77
Rep
420
Posts

Drives: Bmw 335i f30 N55
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Venice Florida

iTrader: (0)

Hey man,
You don't need to do the charge pipe at the same time but it's reccomended because of how the install goes. Your stock will fail. My stock failed at 70k miles with no tune or anything. So if you have the $ do it at same time.

In terms of brand, it matters. Depends on how the use of car will be and how far you will be pushing it. ER is great, ATM is great, AA is great, I personally went VRSF because I daily my car and don't do crazy pulls a lot and just wanted something better then stock that wasn't breaking the bank and it's doing the job.

Also, install isn't bad. I took my intercooler and charge pipe out just with Ramps under my car and did it in my drive way. Hardest part was just getting the charge pipe to angle correctly since it's 2 separate pieces connected with a silicone housing. I went VRSF 5" HD IC & BMS charge pipe. Both do the job and price was great. 350 & 219
__________________
-Tods
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
ronanz's Avatar
United_States
1652
Rep
2,505
Posts

Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Southwest Region

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecph View Post
I did quite some research, and most of them comes to the conclusion of 'any' aftermarket FMIC would be better than OEM, as stock ones are underwhelming.
I also saw that CP is recommended at the same time, is this true?

Question is, does the brand matter a lot in terms of FMIC and CP?
Which brands are more preferable and would it be problematic if I bought a rather cheaper one?

Lastly, with no experience replacing any mechanic parts, is it risky to do the change yourself or is it better at Indy shops?
For 440i GC N55

Photo attached is G-Plus aluminum FMIC
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079P...J92GEKSP&psc=1
For Bmw 3 Series F30 F31 / 4 Series F32 F33
Inlet / outlet size: 2 3/8"
50 % + More Volume Air Flow Then Oem Intercooler
Max Horsepower Capacity: 500hp+
Vehicle Tested. Perfect Fit. 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty

I'd first start with verifying your engine type....then re-research

.
__________________
.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2020, 09:06 PM   #4
alohasurftoad
Colonel
United_States
1203
Rep
2,313
Posts

Drives: 428i gran coupe
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: hawaii

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
I'd first start with verifying your engine type....then re-research.
+1

@Icecph, since you have a 440i, it means your engine is a B58.

it also means you do not need to change your charge pipe nor fmic, since you have a different type of intercooler altogether.

consider doing more research and becoming more informed about your B58 engine, here...https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=663
Appreciate 1
johnung1066.50

      02-14-2020, 10:45 PM   #5
Icecph
Private First Class
Icecph's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 440i GC
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
I'd first start with verifying your engine type....then re-research.
+1

@Icecph, since you have a 440i, it means your engine is a B58.

it also means you do not need to change your charge pipe nor fmic, since you have a different type of intercooler altogether.

consider doing more research and becoming more informed about your B58 engine, here...https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=663
Whoops my bad, I meant B58 LOL was a typo
And i guess there isn't any conventional mods available for it then, after looking up in general, as the intercooler is now integrated into the intake manifold.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:48 PM   #6
Icecph
Private First Class
Icecph's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 440i GC
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
I'd first start with verifying your engine type....then re-research

.
Lol my bad, it was a typo. I do mean B58.
But i did own a N55 engine before on a different model in which I was researching. kinda lost track I guess. Hahaha

And just looked up, guess there ain't gonna be any changes as it's almost impossible to change. Even if there is available aftermarket intercooler, which I saw for 340i B58 during my search, it is very expensive...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 04:39 AM   #7
johnung
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1067
Rep
1,626
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecph View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
I'd first start with verifying your engine type....then re-research

.
Lol my bad, it was a typo. I do mean B58.
But i did own a N55 engine before on a different model in which I was researching. kinda lost track I guess. Hahaha

And just looked up, guess there ain't gonna be any changes as it's almost impossible to change. Even if there is available aftermarket intercooler, which I saw for 340i B58 during my search, it is very expensive...
Since B58 engine has a water to air intercooler, the way to enhance cooling on a B58 is to actually change the car's radiator to a larger capacity model. I believe Wagner and others make them. Check with Mike at X-PH since he would know the radiator options and if it would even be needed in your case.

The most obvious first mod might be a BootMod3 Stage1 tune which wouldn't require any hardware upgrades. You probably would want to drop in a better air filter such as an aFe Pro Dry. Later if you want to upgrade to a BM3 Stage2 tune, that would require an upgrade to a catted or catless high flow downpipe. Then you'll have things like cost, gasoline smell and emissions in your state to consider.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 02:18 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
10963
Rep
120,260
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecph View Post
Question is, does the brand matter a lot in terms of FMIC and CP?
Which brands are more preferable and would it be problematic if I bought a rather cheaper one?
Yes brands matter. Good intercoolers provide a balance between temp control, pressure air drop, temp recovery and weight.

You want an intercooler that keep temps down but also has a good pressure air drop to minimize turbo lag.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST