F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Is dealer screwing me???
ARMA SPEED

02-14-2020, 05:44 PM   #1
bimmer billy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedona Red BMW 135

Is dealer screwing me???

So I brought my certified pre-owed 2014 435 in for an oil change and to check a malfunctioning truck. The trunk was not opening with a single click of the button(s) and would take several attempts to open. After replacing the the trunk module they needed to reprogram the car since they introduced a new piece of equipment. They failed to to reprogram after a few attempts and said that the DME needs to be replaced because of too many attempts reprogramming the car. The service advise has told me that I should contact my insurance company because the repair can be so costly that it may not be worth it. I don't have very many details since all this info was left on a voicemail and I was unable to respond.
This seems very sketchy and I don't understand how a car can be totaled for a malfunctioning truck. I was never told that the work the are going to do has the possibility of frying my engine computer. We are considering hiring a lawyer depending how things go when I speak to the service manager. Any thoughts on this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

2008 Sedona Red 135i, JB3, Injen intake, 35% tint, Performance Rims, Performance Bumper, Performance Side Skirts, Boston Leather, Glacier Aluminum, iPod/USB, Sports Package w/ shifters,
Premium Package, Heated Seats, Xenon's.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer billy View Post
So I brought my certified pre-owed 2014 435 in for an oil change and to check a malfunctioning truck. The trunk was not opening with a single click of the button(s) and would take several attempts to open. After replacing the the trunk module they needed to reprogram the car since they introduced a new piece of equipment. They failed to to reprogram after a few attempts and said that the DME needs to be replaced because of too many attempts reprogramming the car. The service advise has told me that I should contact my insurance company because the repair can be so costly that it may not be worth it. I don't have very many details since all this info was left on a voicemail and I was unable to respond.
This seems very sketchy and I don't understand how a car can be totaled for a malfunctioning truck. I was never told that the work the are going to do has the possibility of frying my engine computer. We are considering hiring a lawyer depending how things go when I speak to the service manager. Any thoughts on this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Bill
Something doesn't sound right here.

Had you coded your car a lot? How long ago did you purchase?

As it's a CPO, why wouldn't BMW pay to replace the DME?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
My guess is that the DME failed when they were flashing the bootloader and they're not able to recover it at this point. Usually in this kind of scenario, they should be able to just replace it under warranty but since that is not an option they're putting you on the hook on it which isn't right.

Talk to the service manager and see what they can do.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 07:48 PM   #4
bimmer billy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedona Red BMW 135

Purchased car 2 and half years ago. I never put any aftermarket software in car.....however I suspect previous owner may have. Something really isn't right here....no way you can total a car for a faulty trunk latch......

2008 Sedona Red 135i, JB3, Injen intake, 35% tint, Performance Rims, Performance Bumper, Performance Side Skirts, Boston Leather, Glacier Aluminum, iPod/USB, Sports Package w/ shifters,
Premium Package, Heated Seats, Xenon's.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #5
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
If it's a CPO I believe it should be covered.

I had my navigation and radio crap out on my 2015 F31 that was CPO. My dealership replaced the module with no argument. I had the same thing happen to my E91 and it cost me 2,800 dollars.

It's not your fault.

I would go talk to the service manager and even the owner of the dealership if they're around.

Explain your situation and remain calm. If it doesn't work out that way I would explain that I'm going to rent a car and drive to my attorney's office to discuss it with them.

I'm lucky. My dealership is awesome. Some can be a real pain in the ass.
      02-15-2020, 09:38 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
Explain your situation and remain calm. If it doesn't work out that way I would explain that I'm going to rent a car and drive to my attorney's office to discuss it with them.
+1. Anything that's broken after they worked on the car that wasn't broken when you brought it in is their responsibility to fix, not yours.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 11:37 PM   #7
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Is dealer screwing me???
The answer to this question is almost always yes.
Appreciate 3