F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Stupid BMW question regarding sports mode, transmission etc...
European Auto Source (EAS)

02-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #23
NormanConquest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

I always turn on my E-Break when park because A. I live on a Hill B. Helps Protect the transmission if someone bumps into my car while parallel parking.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 10:53 AM   #24
Wires
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Well, there is your problem! You need to live in the flat lands like I do. There is literally no use for a parking brake here.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #25
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASoftwareEngrIthink View Post
but the manual says put it in park first THEN turn on the parking brake.

Why would super genius BMW engineers be wrong?
Because they have been wrong about things before. It's just good common sense to engage the e/parking brake first so as not to put pressure on the parking pawl and, as Spade stated, risk any potential damage to the transmission. Personally, if I'm parking on a hill for example, I will put my car in neutral, turn my wheels, and let the car roll up against the curb, then engage my parking brake, then place in park. I would rather all the strain and pressure be on the tires/wheels, then parking brake, and lastly on the parking pawl. I also have a paranoia that since these cars have an electronic shifter as opposed to a mechanical linkage that if there was ever enough pressure on the pawl, it won't shift out of park. I've never heard of this happening, but I'd rather not find out the hard way if this is possible.

BMW also recommends not changing the trans fluid either, despite the contrary recommendations of the company that actually designed and manufactures the transmission.

And BTW, no question is stupid. I'm a former heavy line tech myself, though it's been many years since I've worked professionally, and even I learn new things every time I come on to this forum. That's what forums like this are for; to learn, and share ideas. This forum would be pretty dead and boring if we all knew everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
If you're parking on a hill in San Francisco... you think putting it in park and then rolling back onto the parking pawl... then putting the parking break on is a good idea? Then you get back in, start the engine... shift to drive and feel/hear that terrible clunk/thump/shudder...

Are you serious? Idc what BMW says... think about it...

BMW also recommendations against tire rotations. Shall we debate that too?

Honestly busting balls but just think about it. Engaging the parking break first ensures the vehicle against rolling and then putting into park in that position.

For me, this makes total sense. Owning past vehicles that were manual also contribute but I genuinely believe engaging the parking break first is a safer idea for the transmission than having the full weight of the car, occupants and gravity leaning on the drivetrain every time you go in and out of park. Of course, on flat surfaces the negatives would be negligible but on any sort of slope there is definitely undue stress/strain/pressure on certain parts of the drivetrain.
Totally agree. BMW used to recommend 15k mile OCI for the N20/26 as well, and we all know how that turned out.

Last edited by IraHayes; 02-17-2020 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
sspade1632.00

02-17-2020, 02:29 PM   #26
chowser51
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ď18 F33 430ix B46 BM3s193

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
I only use the parking brake on hills. Until every car that you could possibly drive automatically goes into park,I would suggest putting the car into park.
I drive other cars for work. Iím old. I just like watching the shifter move right on itís own and going into park. I keep my foot on the brake until I get out.
Appreciate 0