F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Has anyone painted/color change their hex trim?
GetBMWParts

02-12-2020, 10:10 AM   #1
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46/3 M56 & F31d

Has anyone painted/color change their hex trim?

I live in the VERY sunny southwestern US, and currently have burl wood interior trim. It’s ok, I got used to it with my e46 but not a favorite... I’d rather something greyer or blacker in tone, since the car is MG over black. But apparently the US options back then on m sports were burl or hex.

Ever since I bought the car I’ve been looking at either anthracite or hex with black finisher, but when I see hex online it looks great... and when I see it in cars in the parking lot at work it is far far far too bright a silver to me. (And usually has the blue finisher that matches nothing to boot)

I recently remembered a thread on zhpmafia about refinishing cube trim on e46, or even color changing it, and wondered if anyone in the f30 world had ever tried something similar.

I think the f30 hex would look wonderful as shadow hex or black hex, personally.

Referenced thread.
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...)-doityourself

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...yourself/page4
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:21 AM   #2
Billfitz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Paint is difficult to work with if you're not expert with it, and it's permanent. Vinyl wrapping is easier and reversible. I didn't care for the dark burl trim with my black interior so I wrapped it.

If I ever tire of it I can remove the wrap and try a different color.
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2020, 06:54 PM   #3
superchargedturbo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Paint is difficult to work with if you're not expert with it, and it's permanent. Vinyl wrapping is easier and reversible. I didn't care for the dark burl trim with my black interior so I wrapped it.

If I ever tire of it I can remove the wrap and try a different color.
+1 for wrap.

Thats what everyone is doing, I don't have the skills to do it myself, but you can find someone or a shop to do it and you have many options. Also as said above you can change whenever, or reverse to stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #4
jbiswurm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i msport 6mt

Vinyl wrap is effective. I have the hec and hated it so i wrapped it with a dark grey with light CF weave pattern in it. I never wrapped anything before in my life and i did all of the door handles, console, and front dash pieces in about 6 hours. The first 4 hours were learning.

A heat gun is your friend.... $20 from harbor freight.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 07:37 PM   #5
haagm58
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d

+1 on wrapping, it's a fun project and like others have said, not as difficult as it may appear to be. There are several YouTube videos you can watch before trying it.
2014 F30 328d ~ Inventory: Dinantronics Sport Tuner / Sequential Turn Signals / Apex Spacers / BMC Drop-in Filter / AFE Air Scoop / Megan Racing Rear Sway Bar / CF Wrapped Interior / M3-Style Mirror Caps / Roof Spoiler / Splash Guards / LCI Radio Trim / Red Start-Stop / Black Grilles / Rennline Phone Mount / LED Turn Signals / Painted Reflector Inserts
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #6
haagm58
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I had zero wrapping experience and did this over the course of a few nights. It turned out pretty well.
Attached Images

2014 F30 328d ~ Inventory: Dinantronics Sport Tuner / Sequential Turn Signals / Apex Spacers / BMC Drop-in Filter / AFE Air Scoop / Megan Racing Rear Sway Bar / CF Wrapped Interior / M3-Style Mirror Caps / Roof Spoiler / Splash Guards / LCI Radio Trim / Red Start-Stop / Black Grilles / Rennline Phone Mount / LED Turn Signals / Painted Reflector Inserts
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:10 PM   #7
superchargedturbo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by haagm58 View Post
I had zero wrapping experience and did this over the course of a few nights. It turned out pretty well.
That looks very clean, cant wait to get mine done.

Also is that console lighting stock LCI? looks pretty bright
Appreciate 1
haagm58162.50

02-16-2020, 09:05 PM   #8
haagm58
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedturbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by haagm58 View Post
That looks very clean, cant wait to get mine done.

Also is that console lighting stock LCI? looks pretty bright
Thank you, I wrapped all four door handles too.

The ac control panel trim is aftermarket and yes, it's fairly bright. That's also turned up to 100%.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 10:11 PM   #9
Billfitz
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiswurm View Post
A heat gun is your friend.... $20 from harbor freight.
About that. A full bore 1000w or higher heat gun can toast vinyl in about a second. A 300 watt gun like this is all you need:
https://www.amazon.com/Chandler-Tool...908495&sr=1-10

The best method for using a heat gun is to secure it to a workbench where you can leave it on, then pass the vinyl through the hot air stream to warm it. This way you can hold the work in one hand while stretching the vinyl with the other. Heat and stretch a small section at a time, between one and two inches long.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 10:57 PM   #10
Davemtay
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i

Any idea where to find info on removing interior trim parts on an F30? Btw..great pics
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #11
haagm58
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemtay View Post
Any idea where to find info on removing interior trim parts on an F30? Btw..great pics
Check out YouTube channels JDCars and Kies Motorsports, both have very helpful videos of removing and wrapping interior trim pieces. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask as I've removed them and reinstalled them numerous times.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 04:30 PM   #12
Billfitz
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemtay View Post
Any idea where to find info on removing interior trim parts on an F30?
www.newtis.info
Appreciate 0