F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Strange Whining Noise
ARMA SPEED

02-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #1
blackf30_
Registered
Rep
Drives: 14' 328i x-drive

Strange Whining Noise

Hi everyone,

So about 2 weeks ago I noticed my car started making a weird whining noise while accelerating. I took the car to bmw and they were very helpful. They told me that the problem was just a belt, and it was replaced under warranty. However, when I got the car back, the noise was still present. I then left the car at BMW again and they said they didnt even hear the noise in the first place. So I then had to take a drive with one of the techinicans, who heard the noise. They then believed it to be the alternator, which was also then replaced under warranty. But, after getting the car back today, the noise is still there. There said they inspected the turbo, timing chain, ect, and found no evidence of any failures. The noise is loudest and most noticable while in sport mode, or when switching it over to "manual mode", espically at low speeds and while building rpms. I tried taking a video but realized it got ruined by wind noise, but you can still hear it for a split second. If anyone has any insight as to what the issue could be please let me know!

btw - the car drives perfectly normal, and without the noise you wouldnt even be able to tell something was wrong.

Car also has a decent amount of mods (exhaust, tune, ect.) and has about 76k miles on it. (2014 328i with the N26)

video: https:// vimeo.com/392590019

I can take another video if needed

Last edited by blackf30_; 02-19-2020 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Is it coming from inside the cabin or the engine?

02-19-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
blackf30_
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
Is it coming from inside the cabin or the engine?
Definitely coming from the engine
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 07:43 PM   #4
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf30_ View Post
Hi everyone,

So about 2 weeks ago I noticed my car started making a weird whining noise while accelerating. I took the car to bmw and they were very helpful. They told me that the problem was just a belt, and it was replaced under warranty. However, when I got the car back, the noise was still present. I then left the car at BMW again and they said they didnt even hear the noise in the first place. So I then had to take a drive with one of the techinicans, who heard the noise. They then believed it to be the alternator, which was also then replaced under warranty. But, after getting the car back today, the noise is still there. There said they inspected the turbo, timing chain, ect, and found no evidence of any failures. The noise is loudest and most noticable while in sport mode, or when switching it over to "manual mode", espically at low speeds and while building rpms. I tried taking a video but realized it got ruined by wind noise, but you can still hear it for a split second. If anyone has any insight as to what the issue could be please let me know!

btw - the car drives perfectly normal, and without the noise you wouldnt even be able to tell something was wrong.

Car also has a decent amount of mods (exhaust, tune, ect.) and has about 76k miles on it. (2014 328i with the N26)

Wow, tune/exhaust and 76k and you're still getting parts replaced under warranty? How is that possible?
jbeem0.00
      02-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #5
blackf30_
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
Wow, tune/exhaust and 76k and you're still getting parts replaced under warranty? How is that possible?
The dealership and the service advisor are actaully really cool about mods. I know people that have heavily modified cars with full e85 tunes that go in there with no problems. Also, when I got the car, I purchased almost every signle warranty. And I believe that portions of the warranty are covered up to 100k, for like major stuff (drivetrain, ect.)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:39 PM   #6
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDrive40

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Same exact thing with my B58. My dealership experience was not as good. I'm actually thinking about giving it back..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #7
kgmon
Total Scrub
Rep
Drives: X5 50i (2019), M2C (2021)

Garage List
Hey - I have the exact same issue (and same car lol). It’s driving me crazy! Can I even give it back at this point? Dealership was useless. Even after they reproduced the noise they had no answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelTiii View Post
Same exact thing with my B58. My dealership experience was not as good. I'm actually thinking about giving it back..
Appreciate 0