F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 330e minimum battery charge %
GetBMWParts

02-17-2020, 04:46 AM   #1
rallakias
Greece
Rep
Drives: F30-330e

330e minimum battery charge %

When you drive your 330e in AUTO mode do you let your car drain out the battery or you just set an absolute minimum percentage of charge after which you manually start up the engine?
Recently with fully charged car in the morning I see 45 Km or more of range (although I know this is unrealistic) and I don't know why.Maybe this affects the hybrid system and the other day my hybrid battery come down to 9% and the engine did not start up automatically as it used to do when charge % was arround 18-20%!

Is there an option to configure this ''auto start'' of the engine ,either with Bimmercode or with E-sys ?

Should I let the battery fully discharge when in AUTO mode or not?If not what percentage would you consider as a limit to start the engine ?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 09:13 PM   #2
The Airman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallakias View Post
When you drive your 330e in AUTO mode do you let your car drain out the battery or you just set an absolute minimum percentage of charge after which you manually start up the engine?
Recently with fully charged car in the morning I see 45 Km or more of range (although I know this is unrealistic) and I don't know why.Maybe this affects the hybrid system and the other day my hybrid battery come down to 9% and the engine did not start up automatically as it used to do when charge % was arround 18-20%!

Is there an option to configure this ''auto start'' of the engine ,either with Bimmercode or with E-sys ?

Should I let the battery fully discharge when in AUTO mode or not?If not what percentage would you consider as a limit to start the engine ?
You really don't have to worry about it in either AUTO or MAX. It will start when the battery is low enough. And the percentage will vary depending on the temperature outside and if you are running your heater or not.

As soon as mine goes dead, and it starts, I go into SAVE. This mode recharges the battery much faster since the engine is running anyways.

When it's fully charged in the morning, that range is just an almost random number. I have quit even looking at it. Sometimes you will beat that number, sometimes you will not, depending on how you drive it that day. So if you fully charge it, drive only 5 miles, then fully charge it again, that number will drop.

There is no coding that I know of to make it auto start. Although with Carly, you can code it to eco-pro mode on startup. That will maximize battery range. If you want it to start, just go to sport mode, or move the gear selector over to manual.

Don't worry about your battery. The car knows more than you do. You just have to learn how to make it do what you want, instead of what IT wants!!

2021 i3s AC Schnitzer
BMW CCA #67486
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 02:42 AM   #3
rallakias
Greece
Rep

Thank you for your answer!
I am not sure I want to let my car decide when to start charging my battery.I mean, should the battery charge percentage go as low as 5% or less?Maybe it will reduce its life.
I don't know what kind of battery this is - should we treat it as our mobile's battery (let it fully discharge and then fully charge it?) or like our e.g. drone's LiPo battery (not let it drop under 10%) ?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

If you let the battery fully discharge, it is really not fully discharging. BMW saves something like 20% of the battery capacity to save its life and to preserve boost for you. Generating electricity through the ICE is not efficient. Let it go to "0". You will still have boost.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 05:39 AM   #5
rallakias
Greece
Rep

Very helpfull post!
Indeed it seems that the battery takes up no more than 6-6.5 kWh of charge while its capacity is referred as 7.6 kWh.Usually my car auto-starts the ICE when battery charge gets under 8-10 %.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 05:58 PM   #6
sriunlimited
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e iPerformance

Is there a way one can see the actual value of charge that's on the battery currently. My battery fills up with just 5kWH, so want to make sure it's not due to reduced capacity.
Appreciate 0